KSP 2 Ideas that don't merit their own thread.

2 hours ago, Ember12 said:

Can you help me understand, what is the difference between your suggestion and the current KSP part menu?

Releasing the new part list, maybe even to a new wiki. This would indeed be helpful for people who want to calculate dV ahead of time, but probably not for le since I need to see the parts in game to decide how I’m going to use them. 

I would want this game to be more than just space simulator. More stuff to do on the planets. A little bit like space enginneers.

I would also want that you can walk(or float) inside the rockets and look around, look out from windows, wave to your multiplayer buddies and stuff like that

On 11/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, Ember12 said:

Can you help me understand, what is the difference between your suggestion and the current KSP part menu?

To have the list released as the parts are made or planed, instead of waiting for the unofficial wiki catching up after the end of February

On 10/4/2022 at 3:23 PM, Bej Kerman said:

A. This idea is large enough that it merits its own thread

B. The stuff released from a Supernova isn't "guess I'll put a few more radiators on", it's "guess I'll get incinerated".

HA!

Can we have fireworks? Aside from being cool and fun to look at, they can be used many creative ways like Orion drives (although that might not be neccessary), colored smoke, and weapons. Also faster, more intense music for reentries or fast atmospheric flights would be really cool.

Also, I had an idea that's probably very, very hard to implement: Lots of functional switches in IVA. What I mean by that is the game would automatically set whatever it decides are the most important options in the PAWs of the parts on the rocket to correspond with switches in the IVA view.

Edited by LHACK4142

Another idea: hotkeys for different types of menus. KSP 1 with mods had too many menu windows and you have to close or open them with mouse. It turns into office desktop simulator very quickly. My idea is to have hotkeys to open/close windows depending on their type.

For example you are working on making specific orbit and want a menu with all orbital parameters. You press something like Alt + O. You then want to manage your resources, you press Alt + R. The same may be for control surfaces, thermals, crew management, communications and data, etc

Alt + 1-0 could be used for custom windows combinations and mods

Has there been any mention of inflatable modules? Inflatable space station modules exist, and now inflatable heat shields also exist. Thinking also inflatable tires (for more compact pre-deployed rovers), and more. They'd likely just be a functional extension of the whole deployable part system...no need for any fancy mechanics...but another reflection of real space hardware.

I'm curious why Kerbals don't have a Tether?  Early Astronauts and even current ones use tethers when they EVA in Space, yet our poor kerbals are left to drift off should the worst happen.... let alone a Kraken!   I'd also like to see winches, cranes, and such.  I know in KSP 1 we have winches but getting them to connect to the right attachment I've found has been a problem.

SO... 

1. Tethers for Space EVA's and ability to detach the tether when using pack.

2. Winches, cranes and the likes to tow, pull, lift or otherwise grab an object and pull it along or keep it from drifting off.  I know that KAS does this for KSP 1, but having the ability to winch something into the cargo bay during salvage would be nice.  Had a recovery mission that needed to bring a Capsule back to Kerbin.  It was the damndest mission I've ever done... The capsule was on a slope so landing near it was impossible.  Don't remember how I got it down to my ship or in it for that matter.

3. Above was mentioned about adding Modding abilities in KSP2.  I can see the point of a lot of Junk possibly being created, but again... since it isn't a shared instance... My mod's aren't going to be on your system.  I'd like to see a way to edit created mods - I've been fighting a losing battle to reinstall my 300 mods into v12.4 and the amount of errors (over 1400) I'm getting mostly from Textures not found is horrible.  Nothing major... just a way to edit where it looks for files, textures, & models.  (BTW Modder's Please don't take it Wrong... I really do appreciate all that you do and your creativeness... Wish I could do it... but Old dog and new tricks don't work very well). 

Straight and angled RCS jets/duos/quads that are mounted flush, like the nose RCS on Shuttle. I have no idea how that would be implemented what with needing to make the root part be partially transparent and all so that a visual cavity could be built in. Kind of a reach!

8656588195_34620d19ec_b.jpg

Does anyone know to what extent non-active vessels will be accessible? For example, I'm building a base in KSP1 right now using Planetary Base Systems and Kerbalism. And I'm able to design something that can maintain power in darkness for weeks, but only by switching over to fuel cells, which can only run for a couple weeks before eating all of the oxygen. So I need some way of automatically switching them off when the solar panels are sufficient, but in KSP1, there doesn't seem to be any way to do that, even using KOS or something since the inactive vessels are SO VERY INACTIVE. I'd be more than happy to use or build mods to do this, but that's going to require mods to be able to do it, y'know?

I even get vessels being whatever level of inactive by default, but it'd be nice if mods could declare what aspects of a vessel they need to remain active so that we could build these more intricate systems.

11 hours ago, Wubslin said:

Straight and angled RCS jets/duos/quads that are mounted flush, like the nose RCS on Shuttle. I have no idea how that would be implemented what with needing to make the root part be partially transparent and all so that a visual cavity could be built in. Kind of a reach!

8656588195_34620d19ec_b.jpg

A mod for KSP1 called Internal RCS exists that does exactly that. The transparent cavities also work with something called a depth mask (please don't ask me what it is and how it works, I'm not a coder) that iirc at least restock and internal rcs use, so it's actually not a reach at all.

An idea on solving wobblyness of parts: instead of using autostruts or "rigid attachment " that is not so rigid. There could be a tweakable option to make part attachments to be more or less flexible.

This tweakable could be a bar called "tighten or loose bolts"

Edited by salaminho

On 11/24/2022 at 3:07 PM, Waifu Art Thou Romeo said:

Does anyone know to what extent non-active vessels will be accessible? For example, I'm building a base in KSP1 right now using Planetary Base Systems and Kerbalism. And I'm able to design something that can maintain power in darkness for weeks, but only by switching over to fuel cells, which can only run for a couple weeks before eating all of the oxygen. So I need some way of automatically switching them off when the solar panels are sufficient, but in KSP1, there doesn't seem to be any way to do that, even using KOS or something since the inactive vessels are SO VERY INACTIVE. I'd be more than happy to use or build mods to do this, but that's going to require mods to be able to do it, y'know?

I even get vessels being whatever level of inactive by default, but it'd be nice if mods could declare what aspects of a vessel they need to remain active so that we could build these more intricate systems.

The devs have said that there will be a persistent resource system working in the background for modules that gather/consume resources, even those that aren't loaded into physics range. The use case you described seems kind of like a natural extension of the system the devs described.

There's already been talk about electric propellers, but what about normal air-breathing prop engines?  It would make sense to have them because planes before the jet age used propellers. In ksp1, you could just get a small jet engine early in the game. I think the player should start with prop engines and have to work up to jet engines. In real life, electric prop planes exist, but air breathing ones are more viable and more common at the moment. Also, I feel like you should just be able to attach a propeller and have it work, and not have to program it like you do with the breaking ground props.

50 minutes ago, SpaceCheese said:

There's already been talk about electric propellers, but what about normal air-breathing prop engines?  It would make sense to have them because planes before the jet age used propellers. In ksp1, you could just get a small jet engine early in the game. I think the player should start with prop engines and have to work up to jet engines. In real life, electric prop planes exist, but air breathing ones are more viable and more common at the moment. Also, I feel like you should just be able to attach a propeller and have it work, and not have to program it like you do with the breaking ground props.

I think those should be a mod, not in the core game. KSP1 and 2 are games about rockets and space exploration and imo the tech tree should start at about 60's tech or equivalent (propably later in KSP2). Also, electric propellers are useful on atmospheric worlds without oxygen, air-breathing ones are not.

Don't get me wrong, I love building propeller planes in KSP, but because they don't really have a place in space exploration (unlike electric ones) I believe they should stay in mod territory

I really like statistics, so it would be cool if there was a statistics page. I know there's a page of info after a mission, but a running tally of ,well, everything would be cool. Ya know, like how many Kerbals  have died in my KSP, how many miles flown, how many launches off Kerbal, etc. The skies the limit!

On 11/29/2022 at 9:25 AM, Just a random person said:

I think those should be a mod, not in the core game. KSP1 and 2 are games about rockets and space exploration and imo the tech tree should start at about 60's tech or equivalent (propably later in KSP2). Also, electric propellers are useful on atmospheric worlds without oxygen, air-breathing ones are not.

Don't get me wrong, I love building propeller planes in KSP, but because they don't really have a place in space exploration (unlike electric ones) I believe they should stay in mod territory

I mentioned the same thing as @SpaceCheese... A natural development would be nice.  But I can agree with @Capt Cavemanas well.  BUT!!!! if we're going to start at the PRE-Rocket stage... then Air Props should already be at the Beginning/Start of the Tech Tree; Afterall we had props before we had Rockets; and build to Electric Props. 

As for it being a Mod... I'd like to not have to Mod the heck out of the game to enjoy it.  At the height of my playing I was running over 300 mods just to get the parts I liked to create the ships I imagined.  The B9 Procedural Wings is one of the BEST mods in the game... Allowing you to create solid one piece wings reduced the Parts Flying off/Wobbly parts because AutoStrut didn't tighten the bolts tight enough. 

In KSP1 you damn near had to have a Jet or Rocket Plane to reach some of the Contracts on Kerbin that were half way around the planet.  And this is fine for those who want to Rocket over to the mission and Recover the ship... But my style is to Fly over and fly back.  I have made VERY few craft that have been able to go half way around Kerbin let alone around the whole planet (In atmosphere).   

What would be a REALLY nice ADD to KSP 2 is the ability to REFUEL at an Airstrip that you find so that you can continue Onward to your mission objective.     I guess that I could Drive or Land and construct a group of Drilling/Refining Stations around the planet that would accomplish this, but if they're going to place bases on the planet anyways... then add a refueling station.  Maybe make that a mission to bring parts to repair and make operational airfields.

I'd do this myself (make a mission) but I'm not that savy.... But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once!  LOL

I would like to see the mun be a little more realistic. In ksp 1, the you can see the whole mun at all times. It seems like you can just reach out and grab it. I would like to see the shadow across the mun based on what day it is. I want it to at least look like it is far away. 

A question I have is how multiplayer would work. If two separate ships was piloted by two different people, docked. Who would have control. I would like it so the server owner would have full control but I am still excited to see what they do with this.

I think planet shine is also going to be in the game so I will not cover that.

I would like it if in sandbox mode, you could spawn in weldable parts during the mission. Nothing feels more annoying than landing on duna to only realize you forgot a parachute and have to restart fully.

Also please correct me if any of these features are already planned for ksp2 or in ksp 1 already

I would like to see the kerbals names change, I don't want to name my kerbal- chuck Norris Kerman. It would look cleaner as just chuck norris

It would also be cool if they already have a bunch of graphics mods on the game and you can turn them on and off as you want.

I would like to see a version of ksp on mobile or switch

More underwater features

More underwater parts

A black hole that brings to a separate solar system that have planets that are being developed by the devs. This way the devs could just through in a planet and see what we think about it. Then if the ksp community ended up liking it, then it could go through the black whole in an live event and join the solar system. I don't think that is how black holes work but it would still be cool. I still don't know how this live event will work. Maybe have the player land on that planet and watch from there. I think that live events will be a good addition. If they do this, they should also make it so you can go back and re-watch it for up to a week or something. This would be cool if they could do it with friends

I assume that most of the bugs would be fixed like time warping into a planet and crashing into it or just zooming through it and changing you orbit. Maybe this has only happened to me. It should auto stop every time.

Maybe have a custom flag changer inside the game so I don't have to go into the game files. I still do not know how to do that.

Please correct me on anything. I know you guys will not be mean because the ksp community is the funniest and nicest community.

Ill try and add to this every time I think of something that I would like to see added.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, Xtra said:

In KSP1 you damn near had to have a Jet or Rocket Plane to reach some of the Contracts on Kerbin that were half way around the planet

That made me think of on along those lines: a better autopilot for aircraft, and for rovers. Because even if you had a plane that could make it there and back, it still took ages, but you couldn't just walk away, cuz the trim ends up a hair off and you might come back to a crater.

Similarly with rovers. if you want to do any actually real roving in them; I like the idea of ground exploration, but bloody hell is it tedious and slow. And you can try just going faster but that backfires rather often. Of course you can just go slow and use physics warp and that....usually doesn't go great either.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized, I assumed I would be overriding game files like textures and music manually or, more likely, through a mod, but if there is time to create an in-game interface for uploading asset packs that override stock ones, I would greatly appreciate it. 

On 11/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, Just a random person said:

Considering Orion was  conceived in the late 50s I’m not sure how I feel about that! Maybe put that one off untill your wanting to go past The inner planets.

I'm curious, do the Devs even read this, or are we just talking about things to each other and going "that be cool", and then sadly scroll to the next post?

On 12/6/2022 at 2:40 PM, Dogywall said:

I would like to see the mun be a little more realistic. In ksp 1, the you can see the whole mun at all times. It seems like you can just reach out and grab it. I would like to see the shadow across the mun based on what day it is. I want it to at least look like it is far away. 

A question I have is how multiplayer would work. If two separate ships was piloted by two different people, docked. Who would have control. I would like it so the server owner would have full control but I am still excited to see what they do with this.

I think planet shine is also going to be in the game so I will not cover that.

I would like it if in sandbox mode, you could spawn in weldable parts during the mission. Nothing feels more annoying than landing on duna to only realize you forgot a parachute and have to restart fully.

Also please correct me if any of these features are already planned for ksp2 or in ksp 1 already

I would like to see the kerbals names change, I don't want to name my kerbal- chuck Norris Kerman. It would look cleaner as just chuck norris

It would also be cool if they already have a bunch of graphics mods on the game and you can turn them on and off as you want.

I would like to see a version of ksp on mobile or switch

More underwater features

More underwater parts

A black hole that brings to a separate solar system that have planets that are being developed by the devs. This way the devs could just through in a planet and see what we think about it. Then if the ksp community ended up liking it, then it could go through the black whole in an live event and join the solar system. I don't think that is how black holes work but it would still be cool. I still don't know how this live event will work. Maybe have the player land on that planet and watch from there. I think that live events will be a good addition. If they do this, they should also make it so you can go back and re-watch it for up to a week or something. This would be cool if they could do it with friends

I assume that most of the bugs would be fixed like time warping into a planet and crashing into it or just zooming through it and changing you orbit. Maybe this has only happened to me. It should auto stop every time.

Maybe have a custom flag changer inside the game so I don't have to go into the game files. I still do not know how to do that.

Please correct me on anything. I know you guys will not be mean because the ksp community is the funniest and nicest community.

Ill try and add to this every time I think of something that I would like to see added.

Jesus Christ, why not make KSP3 while you're at it?

• 3 weeks later...