we should be able to create our own story mode

Most players in KSP don't even play in career mode.  For them KSP is like a man cave filled to the brim with tools to build something and then use it to reach some vague spec of light in the night sky.  They are happy playing in their sandbox.

I for myself would like to see some missions to do, rewarding me with progress or a shiny new toy to play with. But looking at your other posts, I guess my opinion about the kind of mission I'd like to see would gravely differ from yours.

So yes, for a mission creator allowing modders to add their own campaigns or set their own targets.  But NO for "war in an interplanetary scale, because the Jool Kingdom attacked our defense satellites, and we nee to assemble a fleet to hold them back at Duna"

13 hours ago, Stratennotblitz said:

we should be able to create generated events on the course of the carrier mode, per example be in a race with a competing space company etc, i'td add way more longevity to the game imo

KSP lasted 10 years and is still going, so I don't agree with it being needed for the games longevity. But I would like a mission system similar to what @Black Dog  is alluding to.

I do think that being able to create/influence a mission that is given in some fashion could help with the story/canon the individual has going on their mind and I think would add to the game nicely if done right.

3 hours ago, Dientus said:

KSP lasted 10 years and is still going, so I don't agree with it being needed for the games longevity. But I would like a mission system similar to what @Black Dog  is alluding to.

I do think that being able to create/influence a mission that is given in some fashion could help with the story/canon the individual has going on their mind and I think would add to the game nicely if done right.

yeah

8 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Most players in KSP don't even play in career mode.  For them KSP is like a man cave filled to the brim with tools to build something and then use it to reach some vague spec of light in the night sky.  They are happy playing in their sandbox.

I for myself would like to see some missions to do, rewarding me with progress or a shiny new toy to play with. But looking at your other posts, I guess my opinion about the kind of mission I'd like to see would gravely differ from yours.

So yes, for a mission creator allowing modders to add their own campaigns or set their own targets.  But NO for "war in an interplanetary scale, because the Jool Kingdom attacked our defense satellites, and we nee to assemble a fleet to hold them back at Duna"

you're right, most players don't and that's why people should be able to make their own stories, playing in sandbox is fun until you've done everything, a career mode adds challenge 

11 hours ago, Stratennotblitz said:

you're right, most players don't and that's why people should be able to make their own stories, playing in sandbox is fun until you've done everything, a career mode adds challenge 

Please define 'done everything' in sandbox.

I would certainly agree that career mode adds "different" challenges, and I like the idea of it.   It's a real shame that KSP1's implementation just doesn't 'do it' for me, every time I try it I realise how much it sucks and return to sandbox.  I am optimistic that KSP2's 'progression mode' will be more to my liking.

59 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Please define 'done everything' in sandbox.

I would certainly agree that career mode adds "different" challenges, and I like the idea of it.   It's a real shame that KSP1's implementation just doesn't 'do it' for me, every time I try it I realise how much it sucks and return to sandbox.  I am optimistic that KSP2's 'progression mode' will be more to my liking.

landed on every moon, visited every planet, hunted down every bit of science

To be fair, it would be nice to have a KSP2 Mission builder right from the start.

Being able to create a new corporation (e.g. KSP Junk Works) and setting a series of missions you can do for them would give modders and other creative heads a fair deal of stuff to work with.  But since we don't know yet what kind of "campaign" is already in the works I prefer to wait patiently.

This is one of those tricky issues. My feeling is that players have a lot of ability to role play and build stories without having to write it into the game. What you want is a core set of missions that carry you right through to interplanetary exploration that are left deliberately vague enough in their description that players can infill their own stories. If you’re simply given a prompt to land on the moon and rewards for doing so within a challenging but manageable timeframe you can chose to interpret that as a space race or any way you like. 

22 hours ago, Stratennotblitz said:

playing in sandbox is fun until you've done everything

Which is something few are close to doing. Just look at the channel you named yourself after, Stratzenblitz has done plenty like 100% electric vehicles and reusable interplanetary missions, if you think you've done anything it's because you're lacking in creativity.

11 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Which is something few are close to doing. Just look at the channel you named yourself after, Stratzenblitz has done plenty like 100% electric vehicles and reusable interplanetary missions, if you think you've done anything it's because you're lacking in creativity.

ok, I guess I can trow away my 1000+ hours of gameplay

12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

this channels use exploits and part clipping, I respect that but it's not my type of gameplay

9 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

5hua1c.jpg

Gives a good point, mission builder is basically a story mode, and that barely ever gets any use

16 minutes ago, Stratennotblitz said:
28 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

ok, I guess I can trow away my 1000+ hours of gameplay

You've got a thousand hours of playtime, so what? There's still a ton you can do, just furthers my point.

2 hours ago, Stratennotblitz said:
3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

You've got a thousand hours of playtime, so what? There's still a ton you can do, just furthers my point.

you played ksp since 2013 on early access so what?

There's nothing you can do to do everything in sandbox. You're lacking in creativity or motivation if you think you've done everything. It's not like there's a checklist somewhere. Have you built a base on top of the Mun Arch yet?

35 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

There's nothing you can do to do everything in sandbox. You're lacking in creativity or motivation if you think you've done everything. It's not like there's a checklist somewhere. Have you built a base on top of the Mun Arch yet?

I made a space station fly trough it, even landed in the mobile and made a small base I remember back in 2019 when I did it, I think it was a challenge on one of the subs

this discussion isn't gonna get us anywhere, all I want is a better career mode and mission editor lmao

37 minutes ago, Stratennotblitz said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

I made a space station fly trough it, even landed in the mobile and made a small base I remember back in 2019 when I did it, I think it was a challenge on one of the subs

this discussion isn't gonna get us anywhere, all I want is a better career mode and mission editor lmao

Have you made a rollercoaster ride that takes a vehicle down through the Dres canyon and back up again utilizing the weird physics of resting unloaded vessels on top of one another? No? Point being it's naive to say that you've done everything in Sandbox. In reality you're just lacking in creativity or motivation.

15 hours ago, Stratennotblitz said:

landed on every moon, visited every planet, hunted down every bit of science

Have you put a station around every planet and moon?

Have you set up a mining base on every planet and moon?

Have you captured and mined multiple asteroids?   What about a Comet?  

I know I haven't done ALL of that yet, and even if I had,  after over 8 years playing sandbox, I still have the imagination (which you apparently lack) to think of other things to do without needing a set of instructions from a career mode game.

I think its fallacious to claim to have done "everything" in "sandbox mode" in any game. The game mode provides endless possibilities without constraint, so you only limited by your imagination and the sandbox itself. A story builder tool wouldn't expand on either of those fronts as you still need to think of things to build stories around. Its possible to get "bored" with the sandbox, which is sensible, but this isn't automatically solved with a story builder. It could be solved with playing stories/challenges others have made however. That itself could be done with or without a dedicated story builder however, through unofficial challenges. (re-usable mission challenge anyone?)

I'm honestly not really sure how popular the existing mission builder is, I've hardly ever looked into it and have had no problems playing the game in just career/sandbox mode. I kind of feel like its not that popular and shouldn't even be included in the new game, to focus on the other game modes and new player on-boarding.

If need be, providing a more "rough" internal tooling, that is external to the game might be more useful and require less dev time, while evading the "Inner platform effect". This is of course if there is such a tool required in the first place. 

18 hours ago, MKI said:

I'm honestly not really sure how popular the existing mission builder is, I've hardly ever looked into it and have had no problems playing the game in just career/sandbox mode. I kind of feel like its not that popular and shouldn't even be included in the new game, to focus on the other game modes and new player on-boarding.

I think it was a neat idea but never really took off. Hard to say why that is exactly. My suspicion is that while it seems like a writing in your own goals and then doing them and sharing them would be fun its actually just as easy to come up with what you want to do in your head and then go ahead and do it in sandbox. There's a fine balance in a good game between structure and freedom, and to my mind KSP1 is more lacking in the former than the latter. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 7/26/2021 at 7:02 PM, Stratennotblitz said:

we should be able to create generated events on the course of the carrier mode, per example be in a race with a competing space company etc, i'td add way more longevity to the game imo

So...  mission mode?