Real Solar System Challenge: Falcon Heavy mission to Europa.

13 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

Sending a submarine to Europa is an inspiring notion, but is presently science fiction, mainly because of the difficulty of drilling through 30km of ice crust.  Humans have not been able to do that on Earth (yet).  The concept of Cryobot may offer an answer, a lot of development needed.  How much energy would be required to melt ice at an ambient temperature of -160 degC?   Then the sub would need to survive 10,000 atmospheres of pressure.  And finally how would the sub communicate and return data to Earth?

The latest estimates put the ice thickness in the range of 15km to 25km. While we have not had any need to drill through that much ice, that doesn’t mean its not possible or even technically difficult. Note that because of Europa’s much smaller gravity, the pressure beneath the ice would only be in the range of 200 bar, about the pressure on Earth below 2,000 meters. We have deep sea submersibles that can explore that deep on Earth.

There have been a few proposals for drilling that deep on Europa:

NASA's building a robot to explore Jupiter's moon Europa — from underneath its icy shell

The buoyant robot will 'drive' upside down on the undersurface of Europa's ice

CBC News · Posted: Feb 21, 2020 4:26 PM ET | Last Updated: February 21, 202

bruie-gif.gif

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/feb-22-live-animal-markets-and-viruses-largest-turtle-s-horned-shell-a-robot-for-europa-and-more-1.5470477/nasa-s-building-a-robot-to-explore-jupiter-s-moon-europa-from-underneath-its-icy-shell-1.5470495

https://youtu.be/qxU1VSSka4M

ARCHIMEDES: Digging into the ice on Europa with lasers.

https://www.universetoday.com/140499/archimedes-digging-into-the-ice-on-europa-with-lasers/

Robert Clark

10 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

The latest estimates put the ice thickness in the range of 15km to 25km. While we have not had any need to drill through that much ice, that doesn’t mean its not possible or even technically difficult. Note that because of Europa’s much smaller gravity, the pressure beneath the ice would only be in the range of 200 bar, about the pressure on Earth below 2,000 meters. We have deep sea submersibles that can explore that deep on Earth.

I looked it up and hydrostatic pressure at the seafloor would be 130-260 MPa, corresponding to 13-26 km depth of a theoretical Earth's ocean.  So possible to build a sub for that with current technology.

I think the bigger problems are power and communications.  Nothing is impossible.

Europa Clipper mission to Jupiters Icy moons.  

I added in the Europa Orbiter because I believe it is technically a feasible science mission, and the mass is 273kg, so capable of being launched as NASAs declared the reserve mass for the mission.

Thanks @Exoscientist . I really enjoyed this challenge, it was a great learning experience.  Like many, I was rather underwhelmed initially when I discovered there was no lander involved.  The model allowed me to quickly verify that enormous challenge involved in a Europa orbiter, let alone a lander.  Understanding that the radiation environment in the vicinity of Europa is so extreme, that it makes any extended stay at Europa very difficult.   The Jovian orbit and fly-by mission design will yield the maximum science return (we will learn a LOT about Europa with the data).   Can't wait for the results.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.