[1.8+] Procedural Parts

NathanKell

On 3/28/2022 at 12:17 PM, Stonesmile said:

It's actually ProcParts that changes the scales of parts in ROhere, but this shouldn't be part of the issue since that doesn't scale the parts, it changes the starting dimensions of the part.

Agreed. And since this is done as a MM patch, it's written in stone on the prefab. It would be like written this way since the beginning.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:17 PM, Stonesmile said:

This problem should be present even without RO or any of its dependencies and is likely just due to interaction between tweakscale and ProcPart.

I though something like that, but initial tests had shown that nothing wrong exists between PP and TS.

My current working theory is something else causing the mishap, perhaps by removing KSP-Recall from the Part?

Edited by Lisias
tyop! Surprised?

Hello, I am using ckan install of RO/RSS/RP-1 on 1.12.3 and when i try to use PP solid boosters the boosters stick to the current rocket without clicking it and anywhere you hover over the rocket a booster just appears and it they end up everywhere, it has made the PP solids unusable for me. they also cause the text menus to bug out and not appear or appear with only text like "Some text goes here"

Spoiler

8lQXIHo.png

After a little more testing i noticed it only does it when you select more then 1x symmetry

Edited by darqen27

2 minutes ago, darqen27 said:

Hello, I am using ckan install of RO/RSS on 1.12.3 and when i try to use PP solid boosters the boosters stick to the current rocket without clicking it and anywhere you hover over the rocket a booster just appears and it they end up everywhere, it has made the PP solids unusable for me. they also cause the text menus to bug out and not appear or appear with only text like "Some text goes here"

Reveal hidden contents

8lQXIHo.png

After a little more testing i noticed it only does it when you select more then 1x symmetry

This is a known issue (along with a bunch of other SRB issues), and should be fixed in the next release, see this pull request on GitHub. For now, if you really want to use the SRB, you might have to downgrade ProcParts to v2.1.2

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way to change (via ModuleManager) the "snapping" of the size selectors in the VAB?

Currently, the "big" snaps for the size selector are 0.625, 1.25, 2.5, and some others larger than that. However, I frequently use 0.9375m, 1.875, and 3.125m parts and it's annoying to have to use the "small" snaps every time I want to use those sizes. (1.875m is especially egregious since it's a stock diameter size now.)

10 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Is there a way to change (via ModuleManager) the "snapping" of the size selectors in the VAB?

Currently, the "big" snaps for the size selector are 0.625, 1.25, 2.5, and some others larger than that. However, I frequently use 0.9375m, 1.875, and 3.125m parts and it's annoying to have to use the "small" snaps every time I want to use those sizes. (1.875m is especially egregious since it's a stock diameter size now.)

Yes that is possible; here is an example of how it's set up for RealismOverhaul.

Another way to do it is to use KSPCommunityFixes, which enables the size to be edited as a number instead of a slider when "#" is enabled in the PAW.

10 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Yes, the step size can be changed (it defaults to 1.25m). Setting it to half the default will hit most of the "standard" sizes (except 0.9375 but you can also set the small step to 1/8th of standard and get that with two clicks from either 1.25 or 0.625)

@PART[procedural*]:AFTER[ProceduralParts]
{
	@MODULE[ProceduralPart]
	{
		%diameterLargeStep = 0.625
		%diameterSmallStep = 0.15625
	}
}

And as @Stonesmile said while I was testing this. You can directly type in any value using the KSPCommunityFixes.

1 hour ago, Stonesmile said:

Yes that is possible; here is an example of how it's set up for RealismOverhaul.

Another way to do it is to use KSPCommunityFixes, which enables the size to be edited as a number instead of a slider when "#" is enabled in the PAW.

1 hour ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Yes, the step size can be changed (it defaults to 1.25m). Setting it to half the default will hit most of the "standard" sizes (except 0.9375 but you can also set the small step to 1/8th of standard and get that with two clicks from either 1.25 or 0.625)

@PART[procedural*]:AFTER[ProceduralParts]
{
	@MODULE[ProceduralPart]
	{
		%diameterLargeStep = 0.625
		%diameterSmallStep = 0.15625
	}
}

And as @Stonesmile said while I was testing this. You can directly type in any value using the KSPCommunityFixes.

Thanks, that's excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to change the 3 axis of a procedural part independently, similar to what this mod does?

Edit: For context I'm trying to do a half-saucer like shape, the problem is CRFP can't do a smooth shape (You end up with a sharp flattened cone), and PP can't do a half-saucer shape (Maximum you can do is a flattened semi-sphere). I hope this makes sense

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, Forked Camphor said:

Is there a way to change the 3 axis of a procedural part independently, similar to what this mod does?

Edit: For context I'm trying to do a half-saucer like shape, the problem is CRFP can't do a smooth shape (You end up with a sharp flattened cone), and PP can't do a half-saucer shape (Maximum you can do is a flattened semi-sphere). I hope this makes sense

Unfortunately not. There is currently no shape that has independent scaling in X- and Z- direction (Y being up).

16 minutes ago, Stonesmile said:

Unfortunately not. There is currently no shape that has independent scaling in X- and Z- direction (Y being up).

So, it wasn't implemented because it was not possible to do? I was hoping that the reason PP doesn't have that feature was because is a very niche case

1 minute ago, Forked Camphor said:

So, it wasn't implemented because it was not possible to do? I was hoping that the reason PP doesn't have that feature was because is a very niche case

It would be possible. As you say it is a very niche use case that would clutter the shape selector for most people

10 minutes ago, Stonesmile said:

It would be possible. As you say it is a very niche use case that would clutter the shape selector for most people

Well, there goes my streamline dreams :P, thanks anyway!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Procedural Parts v2.4.0 released for KSP 1.8+

Added a new shape: Hollow Truss!
Added option to scale a texture in only one direction, instead of either scaling in no direction or both directions.

Bugfix: Fixed multiple issues with the procedural SRB.
(Known remaining issue: An SRB attached to a parent through the nozzle gets incorrect position when changing the nozzle angle)
Bugfix: Fixed dry mass display in the PAW being incorrect.
Bugfix: Fixed model hierarchy on procedural heatshield.

Get the latest version of Procedural Parts on CKAN or on GitHub: https://github.com/KSP-RO/ProceduralParts/releases

31 minutes ago, Stonesmile said:

Procedural Parts v2.4.0 released for KSP 1.8+

Added a new shape: Hollow Truss!
Added option to scale a texture in only one direction, instead of either scaling in no direction or both directions.

Bugfix: Fixed multiple issues with the procedural SRB.
(Known remaining issue: An SRB attached to a parent through the nozzle gets incorrect position when changing the nozzle angle)
Bugfix: Fixed dry mass display in the PAW being incorrect.
Bugfix: Fixed model hierarchy on procedural heatshield.

Get the latest version of Procedural Parts on CKAN or on GitHub: https://github.com/KSP-RO/ProceduralParts/releases

That was some extremely convenient timing, I posted an unrelated feature request on the repo about procedural trusses. Booting up the game now to test it!

20 minutes ago, NippyFlippers said:

When trying to place or change anything about the procedural SRB, I'm getting an Error  "ArgumentException: Illegal Prefix".

It refuses to change size or anything, the context menu shows "SRB Type ***Not Found***" in the ProceduralSRB drop down menu.

Oops! That is because KSP Community Fixes is needed as of the latest version... Forgot to add that as a dependency on CKAN and to mention it here. You can manually install it in the mean time, but the `PersistentIConfigNode` setting needs to be enabled. This will be fixed in a bug-fix release soon (TM)

1 hour ago, Stonesmile said:

Oops! That is because KSP Community Fixes is needed as of the latest version... Forgot to add that as a dependency on CKAN and to mention it here. You can manually install it in the mean time, but the `PersistentIConfigNode` setting needs to be enabled. This will be fixed in a bug-fix release soon (TM)

I appreciate you trying to help me, but I have no idea what you are trying to explain to me.

Are you trying to say I need to install it manually and not via CKAN?

Edited by NippyFlippers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.