[1.8+] Procedural Parts

NathanKell

3 hours ago, NippyFlippers said:

I appreciate you trying to help me, but I have no idea what you are trying to explain to me.

Are you trying to say I need to install it manually and not via CKAN?

If I understand Stonesmile correctly, he is saying that you also need KSP Community Fixes.  You can install that via CKAN.  

On 7/20/2022 at 12:41 AM, NippyFlippers said:

I appreciate you trying to help me, but I have no idea what you are trying to explain to me.

Are you trying to say I need to install it manually and not via CKAN?

Using CKAN works. What I was saying is that Procedural Parts should tell CKAN that it needs KSPCF to be installed too.

I'm having a weird bug where the part menu while in VAB opens without any content upon right clicking on the procedural engine plate, there's a lot of errors on ksp.log related to Procedural parts:

Spoiler

[EXC 13:19:15.438] ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
    System.Linq.Enumerable.Where[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, System.Func`2[T,TResult] predicate) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
    Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.GetFairingSides (Part p) (at <fba18b6d83b843b6a587ec4aac24a075>:0)
    Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.UpdateFairingSideDragCubes () (at <fba18b6d83b843b6a587ec4aac24a075>:0)
    Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.UpdateShape (System.Boolean pushAttachments) (at <fba18b6d83b843b6a587ec4aac24a075>:0)
    Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.OnBaseSizeChanged (BaseField f, System.Object obj) (at <fba18b6d83b843b6a587ec4aac24a075>:0)
    UIPartActionFieldItem.FireSymmetryEvents (BaseField baseField, System.Object value) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionFieldItem.SetSymCounterpartValue (System.Object value) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionFieldItem.SetFieldValue (System.Object newValue) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionFloatEdit.Setup (UIPartActionWindow window, Part part, PartModule partModule, UI_Scene scene, UI_Control control, BaseField field) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSPCommunityFixes.UIPartActionNumericFloatEdit.Setup (UIPartActionWindow window, Part part, PartModule partModule, UI_Scene scene, UI_Control control, BaseField field) (at <0bab5addef684db2b081bb849763d334>:0)
    UIPartActionWindow.AddFieldControl (BaseField field, Part part, PartModule module) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionWindow.CreatePartList (System.Boolean clearFirst) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionWindow.UpdateWindow () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionController.UpdateActiveWindows () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionController.UpdateEditor () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionController.Update () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Here's a screenshot, and a link to the full log file.

Q6ehcLL.png

And of course, I have the last version of KSP Community fixes. 

Edited by mateusviccari

19 minutes ago, mateusviccari said:

I'm having a weird bug where the part menu while in VAB opens without any content upon right clicking on the procedural engine plate, there's a lot of errors on ksp.log related to Procedural parts:

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 13:19:15.438] ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
    System.Linq.Enumerable.Where[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, System.Func`2[T,TResult] predicate) (at <351e49e2a5bf4fd6beabb458ce2255f3>:0)
    Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.GetFairingSides (Part p) (at <fba18b6d83b843b6a587ec4aac24a075>:0)
    Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.UpdateFairingSideDragCubes () (at <fba18b6d83b843b6a587ec4aac24a075>:0)
    Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.UpdateShape (System.Boolean pushAttachments) (at <fba18b6d83b843b6a587ec4aac24a075>:0)
    Keramzit.ProceduralFairingBase.OnBaseSizeChanged (BaseField f, System.Object obj) (at <fba18b6d83b843b6a587ec4aac24a075>:0)
    UIPartActionFieldItem.FireSymmetryEvents (BaseField baseField, System.Object value) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionFieldItem.SetSymCounterpartValue (System.Object value) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionFieldItem.SetFieldValue (System.Object newValue) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionFloatEdit.Setup (UIPartActionWindow window, Part part, PartModule partModule, UI_Scene scene, UI_Control control, BaseField field) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    KSPCommunityFixes.UIPartActionNumericFloatEdit.Setup (UIPartActionWindow window, Part part, PartModule partModule, UI_Scene scene, UI_Control control, BaseField field) (at <0bab5addef684db2b081bb849763d334>:0)
    UIPartActionWindow.AddFieldControl (BaseField field, Part part, PartModule module) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionWindow.CreatePartList (System.Boolean clearFirst) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionWindow.UpdateWindow () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionController.UpdateActiveWindows () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionController.UpdateEditor () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UIPartActionController.Update () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Here's a screenshot, and a link to the full log file.

Q6ehcLL.png

And of course, I have the last version of KSP Community fixes. 

The procedural engine plate is from Procedural Fairings. Is that mod updated to the latest version?

• 5 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, acr_8133 said:

Is there a way to make smaller tanks on the start of the game without adjusting the maximum size of the tank I can make? it seems like the minimum size is also capped on career mode

It is capped. You have to unlock the miniaturization node (or is it precision propulsion?), just as you would have to in the stock game to get the smaller parts like the oscar-b

• 3 weeks later...

I can't load saved crafts anymore, game freezes if I try to.

Log endlessly repeats something about [ERR 16:50:36.096] [SaveUpgradePipeline]: Test Module ProceduralParts 2.1 Bezier Cone Upgrader KCT-GAME/SCENARIO/KSC/SPHPlans/KCTVessel/ShipNode/PART does not apply for Craft loading!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbye2wia31px7zz/KSP.log?dl=0

3 minutes ago, NippyFlippers said:

I can't load saved crafts anymore, game freezes if I try to.

Log endlessly repeats something about [ERR 16:50:36.096] [SaveUpgradePipeline]: Test Module ProceduralParts 2.1 Bezier Cone Upgrader KCT-GAME/SCENARIO/KSC/SPHPlans/KCTVessel/ShipNode/PART does not apply for Craft loading!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbye2wia31px7zz/KSP.log?dl=0

This is caused by the latest version of ProcParts, v2.4.2. Downgrading to v2.4.1 should fix it

Turns out this wasn't a bug in Proc Parts, it was a bug in stock KSP--apparently no one else had yet written an UpgradeScript that used only one loadcontext (sfs) rather than both sfs and craft contexts. I've fixed that bug in KSPCommunityFixes 1.22.2, please download that and download Proc Parts 2.4.3.

@NippyFlippers^

8 hours ago, shoe7ess said:

I've been dealing with an issue with seemingly invisible colliders on procedural parts. This isn't an issue if using the default sizes, however if you make the parts smaller the attachment nodes, capacity, etc all scales correctly, however the game acts as if the part is still that initial size, so for smaller probes (or basically anything smaller than about 1m) the part attachment acts like it shows in the screenshot. Parts connected to the procedurals float as if the model is still that default size and clicking  near the shape makes you click the invisible procedural collider instead of whatever is in that part's range. I last used PParts on 1.9 and had been using the same MM patch I had put together that sets the min/max sizes as if they are fully upgraded and sets the techrequired to start. I realized after my first launch of 1.12.3 that the upgrade module had been added, so I changed up the MM patch to account for it. Thinking it was my patch that was causing the issue I ended up just manually changing the part config to do what the patch did. When that didn't work I tried changing the default shape sizes thinking that it was using that as the collider size but the issue persisted. I haven't tried setting the rescale value to something else yet but have spent many hours trying to figure out the issue. I'm running a heavily modded game but I can't think of what mod could be the cause assuming that it's a conflict (tweakscale would be my first guess but it isn't adding the tweakscale module to the prodedural parts and I've tried testing without tweakscale installed). 

When I'm in flight, the colliders still keep me from being able to click on parts unless I do the zoom/shift dance, where I can sometimes get to what I need to click if I get the angle just right, but for things like the RCS, if I offset them in the VAB so they look like they are attached right on the tank, they do not work. Nor do any parts in the range of the procedural part (for instance an in-line RCS part won't work as I guess it thinks it's inside of the procedural).  I don't think this will be a big deal once I start making larger craft, but it makes probes incredibly difficult to work with. Luckily it seems that engines, stack decouplers, and most parts needed to make the smaller upper stages work seem work without issue (aside from RCS or other deployed modules, and sometimes I get kraken explosions if the stack decoupler is connect onto a procedural part node). 

Example (see RCS thrusters):

p6orJK9.jpeg

As you can see the thrusters are just floating out like the part was never resized. They work fine if you go larger than the initial size, but not smaller.

My game is heavily modded (12.9Gb now, but the issue was discovered early on, with maybe 2Gb worth of GameData files, most of which from Parallax and other texture based mods, I add mods piece-meal now since I've been bit by the "let's add everything at once and hope it works" mantra too many times). I have the community patch, I've cleared the MM cache, have all dependencies, and have upgraded to the 2.4.3 release, but figured before I banged my head against a wall too much longer I'd ask here.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for any help you can provide :P

*Edit* Forgot to add that you that I can "hack" around the issue, by shaping the procedurals then de-attaching until I'm finished adding modules and parts to the probe (which works with anything you don't have to offset) and re-attaching or adding action groups gets around the issue (aside, again, from deployed parts that "think" they are inside the procedural parts after they are added back on). Also, procedural fairings seem to work just fine, they detect the sizes just like they should (it's just their bases and sides that have the clickthrough issue) and they deploy without getting stuck on the "invisible colliders" (I'm assuming the issue is related to the collision of the model but I don't know unity modeling very well so I may be wrong and using the wrong term here).

A good way to see the colliders of ProcParts in-game is using DebugStuff (Available on CKAN). If it is caused by an interaction with another mod, the only way to narrow that down is to test with only some mods installed, adding back or removing mods a few at a time

17 hours ago, Stonesmile said:

A good way to see the colliders of ProcParts in-game is using DebugStuff (Available on CKAN). If it is caused by an interaction with another mod, the only way to narrow that down is to test with only some mods installed, adding back or removing mods a few at a time

That's awesome, thank you! I'm downloading that now.

*Edit* Wow, seriously, thank you for linking that mod, it made it apparent immediately: I grabbed a bunch of custom PPart textures from my previous version game (some custom made, some community) because I like some parts better with textures that I can't replicate with SSTU (though I am in the process of converting them to work with SSTU) and lo and behold I must have also copied over the .mu files along with the textures, and the CylinderTank model turned out to be the cause.  I'm usually careful about removing previous version scraps from mods, but had no idea about the non-textures.

Edited by shoe7ess
Found the issue

On 9/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, Stonesmile said:

This should fix the dimensions issue

Hello

This solved the problem for me, but partially. For this to work, I have to go into sandbox mode every time, resize the procedural parts there, and only then go into career mode. Maybe there is another solution to the problem?

On 9/14/2022 at 7:58 AM, rukhafi said:

Hello

This solved the problem for me, but partially. For this to work, I have to go into sandbox mode every time, resize the procedural parts there, and only then go into career mode. Maybe there is another solution to the problem?

There is a better solution, mentioned in the ProcParts readme. Do note though that the size limits are there to (roughly) match the available tank sizes in the stock tech tree. If those limits and placements in the tree are no longer accurate, an issue on the GitHub page would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I noticed that within the TU textures compiled with this release there are "stringer" diffuse and mask textures, however they aren't configured in the TU config file. They look pretty good on the PParts but wondered if there was any reason they shouldn't be enabled (aside from the bloated additional texture options in game)? I created config files for them (I also converted the interstage texture with a few masks as well) and I think they look pretty cool!

Spoiler

J86DSyi.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 4:20 PM, StickyScissors said:

Anyone else had issues with the procedural USI LS supplies tank that gets enabled with this? Trying to make a supply craft and every time i reload it all the supply tanks break and reset their size.  Found something about having latest modulemanager, which did "fix" this yesterday, but now that ive restarted the game again it has reoccurred
https://imgur.com/a/APvbzWz

Still dealing with this if anybody knows whats going on.. No other mods installed, just create craft, reload game, load craft and its busted. 

KSPlog

• 3 weeks later...

Just did a clean install of KSP and a bunch of mods (all mods worked together fine previously).  I noticed that procedural SRBs no longer work.  All other procedural parts seem to be ok.  But for SRBs - the config menu is weird:

1) The SRB Type is listed as "**not found**".  I can click on the arrow and change it to "Default".  That is my only option.

2) However changing the diameter or the length has no visual effect - the size and shape of the SRB does not change (though the fuel stored does change).

3) The thrust (ASL/Vacuum) is blank.  Should be two numbers there....  The Thrust slider DOES have a number and I can adjust it - but that does not make an ASL/Vacuum number appear

4) I can change the shape in the menu (but again - visually the part does not change).  Once I change it away from "cylinder" I can never get cylinder back again.

Note my log file is filled with entries like:

[LOG 21:43:47.074] RCS exceeded loop count
[LOG 21:43:47.074] stageStartMass = NaN
[LOG 21:43:47.074] burnTime = Infinity
[LOG 21:43:47.074] StepEndMass   = NaN

On 11/23/2022 at 2:47 AM, Chris G said:

1) The SRB Type is listed as "**not found**".  I can click on the arrow and change it to "Default".  That is my only option.

2) However changing the diameter or the length has no visual effect - the size and shape of the SRB does not change (though the fuel stored does change).

3) The thrust (ASL/Vacuum) is blank.  Should be two numbers there....  The Thrust slider DOES have a number and I can adjust it - but that does not make an ASL/Vacuum number appear

4) I can change the shape in the menu (but again - visually the part does not change).  Once I change it away from "cylinder" I can never get cylinder back again.

I confirm it behaves similarly at my end, with the mention that when using symmetry, sometimes one of the symmetrical parts gets modified, and then i can use that one to reapply. However, upon launching, it won't work and when returning back to hangar, the part looks weird (nozzle and cone detached from the body)

• 4 weeks later...

So I discovered that procedural decoupler does not have "hollow cylinder" or "hollow cone" options unlike other procedural parts.

Based on the fact that it does have "hollow fillet cylinder" it is safe to assume that it is an oversight, and dev's missed it when they did relase 2.3.0. Is this assumption wrong and there is a reason for proc. decouplers not having those two options?

P.S. I did search internet, github, and these forums for an answer and did not find anything, so asking here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.