Thoughts on improved IVA experience?

GKSP

This came to mind because I was thinking about how parts like the Science Lab have three sections and a ladder, but the IVA is only in the middle one.  It would be kinda cool to be able to move around corridors and the like or have more control of the spacecraft from IVA.  This would probably be complicated but I wonder what others think about how the IVA experience could be improved for KSP2.

I said it before, and say it again. I am 100% in favour of them expanding the IVA support and gameplay.

I love IVA mods. And considering KSP2 will have multiplayer, It would be lovely to be able to move around the ship you build with your friends. Having to do science mini games or task, having to get out of the ship to make some repairs, and of course piloting the vessel.

I rarely (if ever) look at IVAs and in some cases (mods with high detail interiors) I just delete them entirely to save RAM. KSP2 performance improvements aside, I don’t see interiors as being worth the extra hardware demand, but then again I’m a habitual third person camera user on pretty much every game involving vehicles as it’s so much easier to see what you’re doing that way. Maybe a separate slider to control the interior texture resolution so those who want the high detail interiors can have it and those who don’t can turn them down?

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I rarely (if ever) look at IVAs and in some cases (mods with high detail interiors) I just delete them entirely to save RAM. KSP2 performance improvements aside, I don’t see interiors as being worth the extra hardware demand, but then again I’m a habitual third person camera user on pretty much every game involving vehicles as it’s so much easier to see what you’re doing that way. Maybe a separate slider to control the interior texture resolution so those who want the high detail interiors can have it and those who don’t can turn them down?

KSP 2 won't go the KSP route of loading everything at startup, so that should not be a problem.

Never do IVA except to just look at the interiors. Most IVA'S are non-functional even in the most basic forms. For me to use the IVA functions, they 1st have to correct the sight lines for the cockpits and improve the readability for the flight instruments. For standard crewed parts, ehh whatever, I can care less.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:50 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

It's easier to have a third person view. But it can also be more immersive to be in control of the ship in a more "realistic way". That's why nobody really plays Microsoft Flight Simulator in third person view. That's not where the piloting fun is.

So although it's 100%  not gonna be used by most players, if it's well done, specially in a multiplayer context, it would be pretty awesome for some of the playerbase.