D.A.T.T. : Direct Ascent To Tylo

Ever since the creation of the kerbal space program, kerbals have wondered: can you preform a direct ascent mission to tylo?

TODAY WE FIND OUT!

RULES:

1: it MUST be a direct ascent mission meaning no landers or orbital assembly

2: you must bring at least 3 kerbals

3: No using mods such as NFP or Kerbal Atomics because they add cheaty engines

4: No warp drives or kraken drives

5: no using cheats to set orbits, refuel crafts, or move tylo

and finally: 6: NO. REFUELING.

New rule, number 7: No gravity assists

any missions before 09:06 AM CDT are still accepted

happy flight!

TOP SUBMISSIONS

1: camajou, for his mission having only 30 tons!

2: N/A

3: N/A

4: N/A

5: N/A

6: N/A

7: N/A

8: N/A

9: N/A

10: N/A

Still no badge

Edited by DaBakonAder

If you did add a "no gravity assists" rule, would that rule out braking at Jool periapsis? What about multiple passes through Tylo's SOI to slow down?

(I assume Laythe assists would definitely be ruled out.)

13 minutes ago, vyznev said:

would that rule out braking at Jool periapsis?

The oberth effect is a completely different phenomenon.  

13 minutes ago, vyznev said:

What about multiple passes through Tylo's SOI to slow down?

It was not said that gravity assists are allowed.

Edited by Bej Kerman

This challenge was pretty fun.

iEa4NNM.png

SSTO carrier plane brings the Tylo lander suborbital over Tylo. Upper stage of Tylo lander serves as return module. Seats 3. Overall mass 34.4 tons and could be a good deal lighter. Probably 25-27 tons possible just iterating on this design.

Journey to Tylo

Spoiler

VX5vRQM.png

On runway

yXbNNCT.png

Picking up speed in the lower atmosphere

ZQnQFpm.png

Leveling off at 21 km

6lNP2RE.png

Nuclear engine turns on

VXudmEa.png

Pushing to orbit

YI5xigh.png

Circularizing

Xun5ebr.png

Jool transfer burn - split into multiple parts

z4lltT5.png

Finishing transfer burn

rFVfDUE.png

Correction burn

t5w5QF2.png

Tylo capture

V5DopFn.png

Deorbiting

sXSZkEi.png

I can't land with the nuclear engine - TWR is too low - but I can at least squeeze as much speed out of it as possible. Obviously not the most efficient but that fuel would be wasted anyway.

DQattxB.png

Descent stage finishes the job

9sNRzjS.png

Three kerbals landed on Tylo

Back to Kerbin

Spoiler

L2npWMH.png

Ascent stage has two drop tanks

In4c6VO.png

First tank gone

POoANSy.png

Second tank gone, push to orbit

Amp377U.png

I was planning on using Laythe and Tylo assists to get back home. That won't work. Luckily I have just enough fuel to do a direct transfer.

s3F0GjN.png

Back at Kerbin - 3 m/s left!

nkRiHa4.png

Aerobraking

uOibQqL.png

Parachuting down

swl3jd3.png

Group picture

Edited by camacju

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... How hard would full reuseability be? Without nukes, jets and ions it could be very very tough I think. Delta V to go from suborbital Tylo to the ground back to orbit and back to Kerbin isn't small.

Edited by Pds314

10 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Hmm... How hard would full reuseability be? Without nukes, jets and ions it could be very very tough I think. Delta V to go from suborbital Tylo to the ground back to orbit and back to Kerbin isn't small.

Without nukes it's hard but not impossible. Tylo orbital velocity is 2100 m/s, so let's generously say it takes 2250 m/s to land and to reorbit.

The descent stage would have to get suborbital and burn back to orbit, leaving the lander to do the rest of the landing and go back to Tylo orbit, then both halves would need to do the 800 m/s escape burn and get home.

Let's assume that the descent stage and lander have the same amount of delta-v, just for the sake of argument. Then, if the descent stage gives X m/s before burning back to orbit, it does 2X+800 and the lander does 5300-X. In other words, each stage should have 3800 m/s of delta-v, and the descent stage should give 1500 m/s worth of assistance before burning back to orbit.

Here's an example of that. (Granted, this only seats one kerbal, but just scale it up if that's the problem)

srwlXWN.png

Not too hard to get into Tylo orbit.

Here's another, with less TWR but more delta-v and less mass:

EBBQVuv.png

5 hours ago, camacju said:

Without nukes it's hard but not impossible. Tylo orbital velocity is 2100 m/s, so let's generously say it takes 2250 m/s to land and to reorbit.

The descent stage would have to get suborbital and burn back to orbit, leaving the lander to do the rest of the landing and go back to Tylo orbit, then both halves would need to do the 800 m/s escape burn and get home.

Let's assume that the descent stage and lander have the same amount of delta-v, just for the sake of argument. Then, if the descent stage gives X m/s before burning back to orbit, it does 2X+800 and the lander does 5300-X. In other words, each stage should have 3800 m/s of delta-v, and the descent stage should give 1500 m/s worth of assistance before burning back to orbit.

Here's an example of that. (Granted, this only seats one kerbal, but just scale it up if that's the problem)

srwlXWN.png

EBBQVuv.png

*Proceeds to spend 2750 m/s just to land....

Managed to optimize it down to 2550 but still... low TWR landings are not easy lol

Edited by Pds314

12 hours ago, camacju said:

srwlXWN.png

EBBQVuv.png

I like the idea although it sounds hard to fly because you're gonna need to do a Tylo landing while you burn to orbit. I guess if you just set it on its course and focus on the landing it wouldn't be *that* bad?

Also won't it need a relay if comm network is on? I guess I could put one on whatever transfer stage brought me there though.

In any case, I almost wonder if having the lower stage do the Tylo landing itself and then burn back to orbit would work better. Sure, that means the lower stage needs more Delta-V, but it's not carrying a payload with most of that Delta-V. It would be heavier but vastly simpler to execute.

EDIT:  from a mass perspective, it's quite clearly a losing battle. Like, not even close. Even with my 6-Kerbal, 1-tonne reentry vehicle on there the mass difference between the two is impressive, and it's not even 15% lighter than a single stage design.

Also not sure the viability of 3800 / stage. Even if I accept 2250 as achievable, which with my TWR I doubt it, 800 will just about get out of Tylo SOI. It takes 890 in a single burn to leave Jool SOI and a full 1090 if I do a single burn to get back to Kerbin. So... the idea of a 5300 Delta-V trip from Tylo orbit to Tylo surface to Tylo orbit to Kerbin, by any method, does not look realistic to me. More like 5600 with a TWR in line with Camacju's idea or somewhere around 6000 with minimal TWR.

So far, if I stick a perfect landing, and I mean I run out of vertical and horizontal velocity simultaneously at ground level, I can 2550 on the way down. I think the big Delta-V killer is that I'm having about 37 or 38 degrees of cosine losses for a lot of descent.

But currently, yeah, 10 km orbit to ground to 25 km orbit costs me a total of 4950 DV. And while 950 might be enough to get back to Kerbin, it's definitely not enough without gravity assists somewhere in there, either from other Joolian moons or Dres or Duna or something. So I think 5900 is actually too little DV for a starting TWR of 0.7.

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.