Threads of the month: August 2021

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
August 2021 Edition

DcFKSOy.png?1

Hello and greetings to all!

It's already August and the first day of the month always means it's time for the next edition of The Thread of the Month! July was a busy month for many of us and August appears to be heading in a similar direction - busy and full of its share of challenges.  For many of us, it seems that COVID-19 has become a never-ending exercise in guessing what the next recommendation from health officials will be. There's been some unique challenges for all of us and each challenge always creates even more anxiety, frustration, and at times, anger with this drama that continues to unfold.

The good news is you don't need to wear a mask to play Kerbal Space Program. Although Kermen can catch a bad case of stupidity, they are immune to COVID-19! And unless you are using a public WiFi connection or other public location, you don't have to wear a mask to access the forum, either!

To continue a thing I started in May (2021) about the forum and new members as a way to answer the fears some folks had about the forum dying. In July, there were 480 new forum accounts created.  Of those, 215 have actively posted content (defined as having at least one post). This means that roughly 44.8% of the new user accounts are actively participating on the forum. If you're interested in seeing the new members to our forum, you can click here!

So, before I get into the threads of the month for August, I ask that as you visit the forum this month, you help make it easier for me to do the September Thread of the Month and nominate worthy threads by using the handy instructions at the bottom of this post.

Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for August:

General community threads of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories. This month, we have two threads recognized for this category:

One of the things that always has fueled the imagination of the armchair astronaut, astronomer, and lover of science -fiction are the possibilities of what humans can do in space. Terraforming other worlds has long been a goal of humankind since spacecraft began to orbit the distant worlds within our Solar System. For generations, the idea of transforming Venus has gone from being a fanciful idea of science-fiction to being considered by various space agencies around the world. While we certainly lack the ability to do so now, the debate about what could happen in the future is still something often discussed. In this thread, @sh1pman begins the discussion on the forum we've all been a part of at some point in the past.

Okay, let's all admit it. We all have our favorite "go to" aircraft we look to for inspiration. For me, there are a variety of aircraft and it is hard to limit me to just one favorite. But that's just what this thread by @Ben J. Kerman asks us to do - to pick your favorite plane/helicopter! If you go through the thread, you'll notice a lot of us have either long entries featuring a variety of craft OR a few posts highlighting multiple vehicles. If you haven't shared you favorite helicopter or aircraft on this thread, why not? It's a great way to start conversations and meet a variety of forum members. :D

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:
This category features a mod (or mods) which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program. For June, we have one thread in this category:

Ever want more destinations for your Kerbalnauts to explore? @Zaffre has heard your cries for "moar!" and given you a new and developing solar system to explore. The introduction to the mod sums it up pretty well: "This pack adds a whole new high-quality star system, Polaris, for you to explore, situated directly above the home system at 4.3 kerbal light years! The system is based on Polaris, but also has inspiration from WASP-12, Mu Arae, and our own Sol. It primarily adds giant planets and their satellites, with more to come in the future. " So, if you're looking to explore some strange, new work, to seek out new life forms and civilizations. to boldly go...

Wait, the description also says "Sorry Star Trek fans! This isn’t a Trek-themed pack." ;)

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:  

This is a new category we are adding to the Threads of the Month. For the past few years, we have seen a lot of really good missions and challenges threads created that expand our fun with the game and presses our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck, beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it, we all have our go-to design basics, our go-to Kermen, and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals.

Unfortunately, we did not have any nominations for this category.

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:
This category features a thread (or threads) which while is not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game. For this month, we have one thread in this cagegory.

There is a lot of real-life inspiration for how many players enjoy Kerbal Space Program. For me, it is always exciting to see what inspiration others use for their games. The introduction by @Kuiper_Belt says it all: The International Space Station is one of humanities greatest achievements. Like many others I love the ISS, mods and Kerbal Space Program, naturally you would mix all 3. A little over a year ago I began an endeavor to accurately construct the ISS in order and document it on reddit. Since then time has passed and I have vastly improved in my ship creation and screenshot taking skills.  I knew when I stopped the first time I'd revisit the idea and now is the time! The goal of this whole thing is to use Kerbal Space Program and a vast library of mods to document every flight to the ISS and its construction in order.

In all fairness, this is a joint effort of @Kuiper_Belt and @lemon cup. Both of them have done a great job in recreating the missions of the International Space Station within the confines of the Kerbal Space Program! If you are looking for some real-life inspiration for your game or you just want to see some really good screen shots, then this is a thread worth checking out!

Honorable mentions:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for August 2021 are:

Honorable mentions for August may not have made the Thread of The Month this month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for August! We'd like to thank @AlamoVampire, @Spaceman.Spiff, @Dientus, @Kuiper_Belt@Stormpilot, @The Doodling Astronaut, and the members of the moderation team who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed July's threads of the month, you can click here.

22 minutes ago, Zaffre said:

I was wondering if I'd make it on here sometime! :)

Why not? Give it a good thought and start a few more threads next month threads as well. :grin: Good luck again for next month, make it a winning streak.

Congratulations everyone, keep up the interesting topics and good ideas

Edited by Dientus
discombobulated

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

OR a few posts highlighting multiple vehicles.

Huh? Posting walls of text with multiple pictures of aircraft on them multiple different times filling up a thread? Not sure what you mean :)

Edited by Stormpilot

I did not expect to get even into the honorable mentions! :) mostly on account of not knowing this contest existed ;) but also I am honored to have people think my thread was worth mentioning. ;) (by the way if you are interested in posting on that thread, please go into a little more detail than just what mode you play on, for example what ships you like to build or what you like to do)

Wow, thanks! I don’t often create new threads, I’ve  made maybe 3 or 4 in total since I joined in 2015, so seeing my thread being mentioned in TOTM is a huge surprise! Maybe this is a sign that I should make more of them? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.