What is the most over- and underrated place in ksp?

This is only concerning celestial bodies you can land on, (Jool, the sun, space, comets and asteroids aren't counted) What do you think is the most overrated and underrated place in ksp and why?

My list:

Overrated: Laythe! I know this is a bit of a controversial opinion, but I just don't see the appeal, you go out all the way to Jool just to see something identical to Kerbin, Laythe just doesn't float my boat, speaking of boats, sea going space missions almost always go there, instead of Eve, the best stock ocean world in my opinion. It is really disappointing when you compare it to Titan, the real world place it is based on. 

Underrated: Vall, a blue ice moon, my favorite Jool moon, only improved by the breaking ground dlc, also one of my favorite places in ksp in general! :D

But which places do you think are the most overrated and underrated? Why? I'd love to hear your opinion. :)

Edited by Hyperspace Industries
Ok maybe exactly like kerbin is an exaggeration, and by ocean world I mean a place with liquid oceans

Hmmmm..... most over-rated?

I can see a good argument for laythe, but I wouldn't say "just to see something identical to Kerbin", instead I'd say its because its like 95% featureless ocean. The appeal used to be flying planes on another celestial body, but because of BG, that also applies to Duna and Eve (and Jool too, I guess).

I think other contenders are Minmus (its not that interesting aside from being close and having low gravity), and Duna - it, moreso than many other bodies, seems to lack fine scale detail - what you see from low oribt is pretty much what you'll see on the ground. The thin atmosphere isn't that thin, and landing with chutes is rather easy, not even much of a challenge.

Under-rated:

Vall: meh the whole body is just procedural noise.

I'd say Moho, because its a fast but hard trip, with very frequent launch windows, and a great view of the sun. It really seems otherworldy being on the sun bakes side of Moho.

Dres: It does exist, that canyon is cool, and the asteroid rings are interesting too. Ceres is an underrated dwarf planet in real life (It was a planet and lost its status before Pluto did!), and I think Dres is underrated because its real life analogue is under rated.

"Eve, the best stock ocean world in my opinion" - Its a world that has some oceans, but I don't think its an ocean-world, any more than my modded Duna is an ocean world:

Spoiler

TKYUQnT.png

5xnTypy.png

but ocean worlds (where the vast majority of the surface is ocean, not 1/2 to 3/4 like Earth and Kerbin) can be a bit boring IMO .

Eve is just too darn purple to me... and no its not really a good titan analogue

I can accept purple water and coasts... like a primitive purple earth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Earth_hypothesis

pink_lake_retba.jpg

446F994300000578-4896024-image-m-41_1505

But that sky.... give me blue skies, grey skies, or even dull red or yellow skies... but that dark purple just seems... I dunno, depressing, oppressive? ughh...

If I had to change eve, I'd make the skies closer to grey or blue, and the land some kind of grey. Purple water could stay

Overrated: Dres canyon. It's just... boring. It's deep, but featureless.

Also Mun. It's too big and gets in the way. When you're trying to get to other planets.

Underrated: Moho. Seriously, after a full blown operation there, including orbital station, rover, landers, ISRU systems, I started to appreciate that place. The sun is super close, days are looooong, so you don't have to worry about power (unless it's night of course), and the challenge of sending things there, for some payloads you need enormous monsters on the launchpad, but if they are successful, the satisfaction is great. I love Moho.

Also, Ike. For some it may be annoying when it interferes with ships, but it can be useful for setting up the trajectory without using too much fuel. I also like the view at Duna from it, and vice versa.

Also, Tylo. Someone could say that it's a big lump hard to land on, but for me it's a life saver for everything that comes to Jool system. The sheer mass (and gravitational pull of course) saves tons of fuel I'd otherwise have to spend to get a capture somewhere in the neighborhood.

Also, Pol. I feel like people really underestimate how pretty it is, just look EYx84oU.jpg

I'm neutral on Laythe though. Yes it's mostly ocean, although the islands aren't that small. But the view at Jool from the surface? That's epic :vallove:

Overrated: Eeloo as a whole, Dres Canyon and the Mohole.

Underrated: Eeloo as a whole, Comm Satellites in Dres orbit and the rest of Moho.

I can't explain it about Eeloo exactly, not sure if it's due to the distance from kerbol, the way it looks frigid, or what that makes it underrated. Maybe the Easter eggs play a part in the overrated. Sorry guys I know it sounds stupid but to me it is actually both.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

But the view at Jool from the surface? That's epic :vallove:

I completley argree.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Pol. I feel like people really underestimate how pretty it is, just look

Those the new textutures?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for my thoughts.

Overrated: Laythe. Just a big ball of water, with very little land. The poles and the equator have great veiws though. Worth a visit, but not really that exciting.

Underrated: Eeloo. I find it quite peaceful, out there in the middle of nowhere. Overall, nothing much to see, but the Babbage Patches are quite cool.

Underrated: Minmus, mainly the flats. The rest is pretty boring.

Meh: Dres. The canyon is cool, but everything else is abismally dull.

Meh: Gilly. Glorified Asteroid.

10 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Meh: Dres. The canyon is cool, but everything else is abismally dull.

Yea, its Meh, but Dres overall is rated so low that people joke that it doesn't exist. 

With Dres being about as Meh to me as Mun, Bop, Eeloo, Pol, Gilly, an overall comunity rating so low as to pretend it doesn't exist makes me consider it very underated relative to the other bodies

I'd say Pol is probably the most underrated. The wild topography, unusual colour palette, and alien-assed spires give it a "kerbalish" vibe that's almost up there with Minmus, but most people file it away as just another microgravity moon and give it a miss because they figure it'll be Ike or Gilly all over again. 

Also I'd say that Dres' status as a meme automatically disqualifies it from "most underrated". Lots of people go there just to prove it doesn't exist, and the Dres canyon is a magnet for people who want to do ridiculously impractical engineering projects.

2 hours ago, A Fistful Of Double Downs said:

and alien-assed spires give it a "kerbalish" vibe 

Unless you have turned off terrain scatters to improve performance or make finding surface features easier.

Regarding the Dress meme, I would contest that meme status equates with a high rating. Many things are memes because they are widely considered to deserve a really bad rating. Off the top of my head, twilight (the "still a better love story than twilight" memes for instance), and the 8th season of game of thrones.

• 2 weeks later...

Overrated: 

Gilly: I think Gilly is overrated because other than being the smallest body in the solar system, it's not very interesting. Not only is it out of the way, but it's also pretty featureless.

Tylo: Aside from the challenge of landing, perhaps visiting the Tylo cave, there isn't actually very much to do on it's surface. The challenge alone makes it worth visiting, but it's not viable for much infrastructure unless you're a madman or a refueling station. It's immense size also makes it time consuming to drive around, leaving it for the "I landed and returned from [x]!" missions.

Underrated

Pol: Pol is actually a great spot in the Jool system for a refueling base. Pol is small, has a low inclination, and it's easy to reach the inner moons from it's orbit, and it's orbit takes the least delta v to reach during an insertion burn. It's small SOI makes it time consuming to reach, but the only other moons viable for a major refueling station are Bop (small SOI, high inclination), and Vall (larger than the Mun, close in). Tylo and Laythe are just too large for one. In fact, it's probably one of the most overlooked moons in the jool system.

Edited by DunaManiac

Overrated:

-The whole Eve system IMO, I don't ever try to go there if I don't have to

-Laythe, yeah also don't try ever going there, besides @Matt Lowne's life on laythe, it never really interested me 

-Mun/Minmus (minmus not as bad as mun,) if there wasn't mun arches or the minmus flats I would probably never visit these two

Neutral:

-Dres, its there and sometimes its nice 

-Duna, once you visit the poles, canyon, plains, and some easter eggs it get's boring real fast

-Moho, besides the mohole and a few other places, don't really visit much

Underrated:

-Ike, it's an amazing place that deserves more attention, especially with the views of duna and the new easter egg in 1.12

-Tylo, especially the cave, visit the cave

VERY MUCH UNDERRATED:

Planet packs, this one doesn't kinda count, but theres a lot of planet packs that give people wonderful opportunities and creativity. 

On 8/11/2021 at 8:25 PM, DunaManiac said:

Overrated: 

Gilly: I think Gilly is overrated because other than being the smallest body in the solar system, it's not very interesting. Not only is it out of the way, but it's also pretty featureless.

Objection!

Let's see if a few pictures can change your mind

7RCtYLE.png

V7QeaUC.png

YXwhVJi.png

CdTsS5C.png

50 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Objection!

Let's see if a few pictures can change your mind

7RCtYLE.png

V7QeaUC.png

YXwhVJi.png

CdTsS5C.png

I don't deny that Gilly is worth a visit, but Gilly's terrain is procedural generated and is devoid of craters and other things you would expect of an asteroid, and it just looks like a miniature Bop. It's also fairly far out of the way, and it's small SOI makes it difficult and time consuming to reach, so I think it's undeserving of the "easiest body" reputation. That being said, it's the only spot for a refueling station around Eve. I really dislike it's appearance as well, rather than appearing as a chunk of rock, the aforementioned procedural generation really makes it look more like a lump.

Edited by DunaManiac

31 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

I don't deny that Gilly is worth a visit, but Gilly's terrain is procedural generated and is devoid of craters and other things you would expect of an asteroid, and it just looks like a miniature Bop. It's also fairly far out of the way, and it's small SOI makes it difficult and time consuming to reach, so I think it's undeserving of the "easiest body" reputation. That being said, it's the only spot for a refueling station around Eve. I really dislike it's appearance as well, rather than appearing as a chunk of rock, the aforementioned procedural generation really makes it look more like a lump.

fair enough. there's no accounting for tastes

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Alien21 said:

Mun canyon? Are that valleys located closer to the Poles?

The particular canyon I landed in is near the equator at the edge of one of the big craters. It's enormous and visible from low orbit so you shouldn't miss it if you pay attention.

Ike is underrated becuase the views of duna are amazing and it is pretty good place to go if you are starting with travel to other planetary bodies because it is easy to encounter and you can land on it easily if you did the mun before. 

Overrated: Laythe, the planet itself is fun but I just get bored of it, it is too similar to Kerbin. Homever I LOVE Laythe bases because I like floating bases and the views of jool are amazing.

I may join the "overrated laythe" train. No, don't get me wrong, Laythe is beautiful, I visited every single biome, flew all over the planet, found the green monolith twice, and even pulled an elcano on it. it is one of the best places around. still, there are too many missions just for laythe.

i haven't seen any mention of vall, so I'll nominate it as underrated. it's one of the most beautiful places to drive a rover i've ever seen, the scenery is amazing. I did drive a rover halfway across its circumference, and it was a great experience. i miss those times. nowadays i play with multiple mods to make things harder, and vall is deep into jool's radiation belt, staying there for more than a few hours is no longer possible

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I may join the "overrated laythe" train. No, don't get me wrong, Laythe is beautiful, I visited every single biome, flew all over the planet, found the green monolith twice, and even pulled an elcano on it. it is one of the best places around. still, there are too many missions just for laythe.

i haven't seen any mention of vall, so I'll nominate it as underrated. it's one of the most beautiful places to drive a rover i've ever seen, the scenery is amazing. I did drive a rover halfway across its circumference, and it was a great experience. i miss those times. nowadays i play with multiple mods to make things harder, and vall is deep into jool's radiation belt, staying there for more than a few hours is no longer possible

Well, I mentioned Vall.:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.