What is the most over- and underrated place in ksp?

I’ve only been to a few, and i’m on console so the graphics suck, but i’ll still submit a comment.

Over: DUNA: Hard to biome-hop, terrain is all the same, red, Rick May would not be disappointed.

LAYTHE: IT’S ALL THE SAME! EVEN UNDER THE SEA!

Under: Ike, just because Duna’s view is marvelous.

Kerbin: Has many of the Easter eggs, and many biomes. EZ science. Would be capitalized if the water was better.

Indifferent: Mun. It’s grey. Only saved me 80 deltaV ever, but the excitement of landing there the first time was hard to match.
Also has the Mun Launch site which i’ve never used.

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

On 8/2/2021 at 5:55 PM, Hyperspace Industries said:

Underrated: Vall, a blue ice moon, my favorite Jool moon, only improved by the breaking ground dlc, also one of my favorite places in ksp in general! :D

Overrated, you go 70 million kilometers for what's essentially Minmus without the near 0g antics.

Underrated: Duna. Not far, has a thin atmosphere that makes building aircraft challenging and fun.

4 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

objection: vall has real mountains. minmus has just sloping terrain.

Ok and

4 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

and let us not forget the cryovolcanoes and the view in the sky

A view matched by Kerbin in Minmus' sky. Minmus' flat slopes, helpful for testing, beats Val's cryovolcanoes.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:55 AM, Hyperspace Industries said:

This is only concerning celestial bodies you can land on, (Jool, the sun, space, comets and asteroids aren't counted) What do you think is the most overrated and underrated place in ksp and why?

My list:

Overrated: Laythe! I know this is a bit of a controversial opinion, but I just don't see the appeal, you go out all the way to Jool just to see something identical to Kerbin, Laythe just doesn't float my boat, speaking of boats, sea going space missions almost always go there, instead of Eve, the best stock ocean world in my opinion. It is really disappointing when you compare it to Titan, the real world place it is based on. 

Underrated: Vall, a blue ice moon, my favorite Jool moon, only improved by the breaking ground dlc, also one of my favorite places in ksp in general! :D

But which places do you think are the most overrated and underrated? Why? I'd love to hear your opinion. :)

Over-rated: Eeloo

Under-rated: Ike

Also, Duna's underrated, everybody just wants to go to Laythe...

On 10/17/2021 at 8:45 AM, Bej Kerman said:

Overrated, you go 70 million kilometers for what's essentially Minmus without the near 0g antics.

We like ice cones, not mint ice cream.

And, you never think, “Oh i’m not going to location X because it’s like place Y.”
You think, “I haven’t gone to location X, and it’s a challenge to get there. I’m going in a 100% reusable craft!”

I realize the point of this thread was just to say places we liked and why, not berate each other for liking body A and not B. Meh

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

I personally think Minmus is one of the most useful bodies in the entire solar system. It's easier in many ways to get to and from than the Mun and much better suited for ISRU projects with the lower gravity (and flatter surface).

Edited by foamyesque

• 3 weeks later...

Overrated: Laythe. Honestly, not much to see

Underrated: Kerbin. Honestly, kerbin can be quite beautiful, especially sunrises. The second would probably be eve because sunrise/sets are really cool there

In the middle: The Mun. A cool place to go that is only a couple days trip

Doesn't Exist: Dres.  Just Dres.  Absolutely does not exist Dres.  Nope. The government is lying about Dres.  You cant even go there. It's a fake planet in the map view, you cant actually go there

Edited by Staticalliam7

I've long been in the "dres is useless" camp, but i have to admit i was underrating dres.

in my current kerbalism+OPM grand tour, with kerbalism isru rules, dres has been a useful refueling base. under those rules, to refuel I need to find ore, water and uranium (for the nuclear reactors, isru under kerbalism rules requires thousands of electric charge per second) all in the same biome; for a fluke of bad luck, Ike has both uranium and water but not in the same biome, minmus and gilly have no water, pol has no water. Bop has no water by design, and the inner moons of jool are stuck inside a killer radiation belt. So I can only refuel on Mun, Duna (but very expensive to land and take off), and Dres. Going to Dres for refueling before taking a gravity assist from Jool saved a few hundred m/s compared with making the same manuever from Mun.

So, i have to concede that under a very specific combination of mods, with very specific mission objectives (which, incidentally, i don't think anyone else has ever been crazy enough to try), with a very specific random resource distribution, then Dres has some limited usefulness as refueling base for mild fuel savings.

But hey, I've long thought Dres was good for absolutely nothing, so it's still a step up :D

46 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

download-2021-09-13-T183927-369.jpg

Obviously photoshopped

Getting back on topic, I digress. 

53 minutes ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

@Staticalliam7 I don't know what scatterer configs you use, but Duna's sunsets are often gorgeous! :D 

You are right, but I really like the green eve sunsets, and kerbin is beautiful by itself

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.