Kerbal Space Progam 1.12.2 is live!

UomoCapra

Ten years and finally the last page is written. I would say it was a great run, almost 10 years being the only game of its type and fully relevant until the end. On the plus side, I guess there will never be any issues with mods again. Except the ones that didn't make it from the good old days.

On a completely unrelated and totally unsentimental note, does anyone know if it is possible to get one's hands on KSP 0.90?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 11:01 PM, HenriJayy said:

Great update. I'm hoping most of the technical debt is fixed until KSP 2 releases, it'd be a shame to let this game go unfinished.

I really doubt, that there will be any more updates. The technical dept will stay. The team has gone, i think.

21 minutes ago, Rakete said:

I really doubt, that there will be any more updates. The technical dept will stay. The team has gone, i think.

I was skeptical, but now I'll be very surprised if there is a patch any time soon. I agree this 'clarity' is gobbleygook corporate BS. I'll remain patient, but I imagine the funding for KSP development has moved to KSP2, so I don't blame any particular people, it's just sad to see.

Edited by ElonsMusk

Let me explain, technical debt was extremely apt of ShadowZone to describe the issues with KSP over the years in his youtube video. I hadn't heard that term before.

The result of major patches have been like the patch was 80% completed and then released.  Then the small fixes, never fixed enough afterwards.

The most impressive free update we got was eva construction. The developers doing that was incredible, it showed they had some serious skills. KSP was NEVER made to have the editor moved outside the SPH/VAB. That they even attempted it...wow. Incredible.

I  don't think this is on the developers, this feels like a management issue.

That a number of the developers of KSP 1 have gone to KSP 2 is amazing, and I wish them the best. I don't think them going to KSP 2 was good, I think it is essential to KSP 2's success (hopeful success)

Edited by Anth12

19 hours ago, Anth12 said:

[...] I  don't think this is on the developers, this feels like a management issue. [...]

I totally agree. There are only so many devs that could approach KSP1 and so many hours in a day. I, too, prefer that skill be transferred to KSP2 so it's likely a great choice. Just a bittersweet thing, I s'pose.

On 9/24/2021 at 10:17 AM, The_space_monke said:

so how do i download the ground anchor patch?

It was until recently if you have a Steam account and know your way on the Console.

There's a cool tutorial on how to do it on Steam Community called "How to Download Older Versions of a Steam Game", but some images on that page may not be Forum compliant, so you will have to google for it (hint: type "How to Download Older Versions of a Steam Game" site:steamcommunity.com — including the quotes). It's from Mar 25, 2017.

However… Things may be changing fast. Since some time, the download_depot protocol is changing no one sure knew why until recently, and the Steam Client is not able to download some depots. On KSP, this meant not being able to download anything below 1.2.2 (not to mention 1.4.3, the best Unity 2017 version for old potatoes that want to play with Mission History - on 1.4.4 the increased PQS cache plays havoc with rigs with 512MB of VRAM or less).

Last month the SteamDB guys (the main and most important resource for fetching the hashes for the download_depot) published something about. This link also suggests a very handy tool for doing that,  other than the Steam Console and manual hunting for the hashes as I was doing until 1.12.2 (damn… :D ).

Apparently Valve is not going nuclear on the subject, and the new API is meant to prevent unauthorised access to sensitive content (why the userid of the downloader is not checked against an ACL is beyound me), as was published here.

3 hours ago, Staticalliam7 said:

The steam beta feature can go back to like,1.2 but besides that i don't know

I downloaded down to 0.22 from Steam once. Then on last December (if memory serves me well) I realised I could not anymore - but with the information on the links above, I think you will be able to do so.

Edited by Lisias
tyops as usulla...

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:00 AM, UomoCapra said:

Even though we still may release a minor patch here and there when needed, with this patch we are officially completing the 1.12 update, as well as the sustained development of the original KSP, as we are now shifting gears towards the development of KSP2.

When needed.... and that need is at their discretion. i.e. if they feel that they are needed. not when we think they are needed.

Edited by Anth12