Jump to content

Kerbal Space Progam 1.12.2 is live!


UomoCapra
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Yeah, but i'd consider it a bugfix of the base game of ksp ("here and there when needed") not a feature increment. :sticktongue: This means, the base game will not receive this as a bugfix?

Anyway, thank you for this. 

You can wait for the next patch if you like.

I thought maybe people wouldn’t like to wait as I saw a lot of people saying it was game breaking for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

You can wait for the next patch if you like.

I thought maybe people wouldn’t like to wait as I saw a lot of people saying it was game breaking for them.

Oh no absolutely, I think I express my wholehearted thank you from everyone for making this available. I think the wording of your previous post made it sound as if there was likely never to be another bug-fix patch to the game which had us a little spooked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Oh no absolutely, I think I express my wholehearted thank you from everyone for making this available. I think the wording of your previous post made it sound as if there was likely never to be another bug-fix patch to the game which had us a little spooked.

There is things I can't talk about obviously.

All I'm saying is, as per the opening post :

Quote

Even though we still may release a minor patch here and there when needed, with this patch we are officially completing the 1.12 update, as well as the sustained development of the original KSP, as we are now shifting gears towards the development of KSP2.

It seems like this was a bigger issue for a lot more players, so I didn't want everyone to wait until the next minor patch, whenever that may be.

Hence the mod patch for now. Obviously when an official patch is done, we won't need the mod patch any more.

I'm currently looking into what I can do about the robotic drift for Breaking Ground DLC owners as well in the way of a mod patch until the next official patch is done, for the same reasons.

I'm doing this in my own time as a modder and I expect nothing in return, just that everyone abides by the rules and shows everyone else common courtesy.  I just care about this community and KSP.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sure has been a long and rewarding journey playing this game with these weird (and brave) little green folk!
So many people have come together over the years to help make this game great and for that you have my gratitude.
Onward and upward! I can't wait to see what the future holds.
Thanks again. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not getting any drift on a (very simple) craft that I built as one craft on the ground, then decoupled and re-docked while on the ground (using rover wheels) then cheated into orbit with F12, rotated 15 degrees (on both ports) and then un-locked both ports. I saved and reloaded and quit and reloaded, then saved and reloaded 5 more times. They're still perfectly in-line.  Does this bug only occur with very large craft?

I will say that after the 1.12.2 patch, KSP was causing my entire computer to crash very consistently (no problems in other CPU and graphics intense games like DCS). When I verified game files in Steam, it re-downloaded 34 files. Still crashed. Verified again, 0 files had to be redownloaded, still crashed. It wasn't until I uninstalled completely, deleted the KSP directory from my Steam common folder, and redownloaded completely that the crashes stopped. Is there a chance that the part drifting bug could be solved by others if they deleted and reinstalled completely fresh like I did?

EDIT: Warning - copy your KSP folder somewhere safe first so you don't lose your saves

Edited by Xavven
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Xavven said:

It wasn't until I uninstalled completely, deleted the KSP directory from my Steam common folder, and redownloaded completely that the crashes stopped. Is there a chance that the part drifting bug could be solved by others if they deleted and reinstalled completely fresh like I did?

After making a copy of savegames and mods?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 7:00 PM, UomoCapra said:

Even though we still may release a minor patch here and there when needed, with this patch we are officially completing the 1.12 update, as well as the sustained development of the original KSP, as we are now shifting gears towards the development of KSP2.

This is a very strong statement to make when a patch just enters QA...

And the second part is even more weird, as up to now, it sounded like KSP2 was developed by an actual game development team, so I am now wondering, what the current developers of KSP1 hope to add to the proceedings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Xavven said:

I'm not getting any drift on a (very simple) craft that I built as one craft on the ground, then decoupled and re-docked while on the ground (using rover wheels) then cheated into orbit with F12, rotated 15 degrees (on both ports) and then un-locked both ports. I saved and reloaded and quit and reloaded, then saved and reloaded 5 more times. They're still perfectly in-line.  Does this bug only occur with very large craft?

I will say that after the 1.12.2 patch, KSP was causing my entire computer to crash very consistently (no problems in other CPU and graphics intense games like DCS). When I verified game files in Steam, it re-downloaded 34 files. Still crashed. Verified again, 0 files had to be redownloaded, still crashed. It wasn't until I uninstalled completely, deleted the KSP directory from my Steam common folder, and redownloaded completely that the crashes stopped. Is there a chance that the part drifting bug could be solved by others if they deleted and reinstalled completely fresh like I did?

The drift only happens when the docking ports are under stress. I made a craft with something hanging off horizontally from the side of the central fuselage and after every save and reload it sagged more and more. If you undock and redock with a rover, the rover supports hold all the stress so the weight is not on the docking ports.

In orbit this doesn't happen because nothing is under stress. But if your game saves while moving the craft, that counts as under stress, and the alignment will be off on the next reload.

Mine was on a fresh install of the game. After every major update it's always best to uninstall, delete the KSP folder from the steam install directory, and do a fresh reinstall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 1:00 AM, UomoCapra said:

revamps for the LV-T30 Reliant and LVT-45 Swivel liquid fuel engines.

Nice! Thanks!:P(OK I know I wasn't the one who started this thing)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2021 at 9:14 PM, krimsalt said:

The drift only happens when the docking ports are under stress

That isn't true. Even with if you can't see it, there is always at least a small displacement, even in zero-G. Every time you exit the scene, that displacement will be added to the previous one.

Over the course of several reloads, this will add up, inevitably borking you vessel in the long run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 8/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, Gotmachine said:

That isn't true.

What @krimsaltsaid is partially true.

 

With the docking ports not passing through autostruts crafts would bend at the point of the docking ports more easily

If the game is saved when they are severely bent,  then on reloading they would be permanently out of position in a much more obvious way.

That is a severe case of the docking port drift.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2021 at 1:59 AM, Anth12 said:

If the game is saved when they are severely bent,  then on reloading they would be permanently out of position in a much more obvious way.

That's a very old bug, and craft being permanently deformed on reload is a problem far deeper in the game architecture. It's not just docking ports either, all joints suffer from this.

Yes, autostruts spanning docking ports makes it slightly less problematic... But it doesn't fix the underlying problem, it's just another quick band-aid on the large pile of quick band-aids for architectural and game-engine problems.

Like most of the other quick-fixes, it comes with it's own problems. That's generally what happens when you use new features to plaster over old bugs... Hell, unfixed jank in the physics system is why autostruts exist in the first place.

Edited by steve_v
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, steve_v said:

That's a very old bug, and craft being permanently deformed on reload is a problem far deeper in the game architecture. It's not just docking ports either, all joints suffer from this.

There is one where a bigger space station wobbles badly which the only attempt to fix it is to timewarp. That causes parts to snap into a weird position. Then can explode as KSP tried to put the parts back in their correct places when timewarp disengages. That is the only one I know of pre 1.12.

Docking port drift causes a completely different type of bending, because the snapping never happens.

We are talking about a completely different issue here that never happened until 1.12 was released.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

We are talking about a completely different issue here that never happened until 1.12 was released.

That's because two issues are in play.
This has been a problem for years (there were prior reports too, but the tracker got "cleaned"). The new docking ports cause (even worse) joint deformation the same way other robotic parts do (this was a problem with IR as well, long before stock robotics were a thing), and the issues relating to craft pack/unpack saving the deformed state makes it permanent.

It was band-aided for robotics by having autostruts disengage when robotic parts move, and re-engage when they're locked. Now we have the same on docking ports.

Edited by steve_v
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, steve_v said:

That's a very old bug, and craft being permanently deformed on reload is a problem far deeper in the game architecture. It's not just docking ports either, all joints suffer from this.

Absolutely not true. Prior to robotics (and now docking ports), there was nothing in KSP that altered the original part positions as defined in the initial craft created in the editor.
The physical joints are created on a vessel load, using the initial parts position/rotation.
When no robotics/new docking ports are involved, you can do as many save/load cycles as you want, the parts will always fall in place in the exact same position/orientation.

The troubles started when, with robotics, they decided to alter those (previously set in stone for the lifetime of the vessel) position/rotation values on vessel unload and vessel packing, using the robotics displacement, and as a side-effect, the in-physics deformation.
It was a huge mistake. They should have stored the robotics displacement/rotation as offsets to apply on top of the initial ones, this is for example what DockRotate does.

Edited by Gotmachine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2021 at 6:24 PM, Gotmachine said:

Absolutely not true. Prior to robotics (and now docking ports), there was nothing in KSP that altered the original part positions as defined in the initial craft created in the editor.
The physical joints are created on a vessel load, using the initial parts position/rotation.
When no robotics/new docking ports are involved, you can do as many save/load cycles as you want, the parts will always fall in place in the exact same position/orientation.

The troubles started when, with robotics, they decided to alter those (previously set in stone for the lifetime of the vessel) position/rotation values on vessel unload and vessel packing, using the robotics displacement, and as a side-effect, the in-physics deformation.
It was a huge mistake. They should have stored the robotics displacement/rotation as offsets to apply on top of the initial ones, this is for example what DockRotate does.

This seems very apparent in my current 1.12.2. When I reload a scene, I get a variation in where the parts settle. This isn't necessarily new but I am noticing it dramatically. I'm quite dismayed by it, tbh. I wonder if I'm expecting too much precision but that hasn't blockaded my launch campaigns as badly as in 1.12.2 (with or without port drift fix).

Example from just now ↓

Spoiler

1d0J5mY.png

It may reload differently, still, if I re-enter the scene.

 

Edited by ElonsMusk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2021 at 2:02 PM, JPLRepo said:

You can wait for the next patch if you like.

Any Info if it will drop within the next weeks? Or are we talking about months? Please give us a hint, since the modders should be informed if adapting their mods to the drift fix mod makes sense or not in terms of the timeline and the last bits of remaining bugfix lifecycle of ksp 1. right now i heard from more than one modder, that he hesitates to adapt his parts to the mod, since a patch from Squad to fix the root issue might be around the corner. Please give us info, so that the modders can make their descisions. Otherwise the situation stays as foggy as it is. more info is always good.

@SQUAD 

The modder's invested time is also valuable. Please give infos.

Edited by Rakete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good job guys.

JPLRepo did a really good thing out of his own time and instead of people being thankful enough people gave really negative feedback to the point where if I was in his shoes I wouldn't help in the future, and I would avoid interacting with the community at all.

I have seen people talking about how squad have gone silent.  I wonder if we the community had it coming.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...