Another Way of Doing Things. . . (a KerBinary Mission report) (It's NOT over)

TRAPPIST-1E

Before we start, I'd like to thank myself for making the mod I will be using, KerBinary. It's ok and I hope you check it out. Also I am playing on Rescale 2x, with a self-imposed rule of no reverts on actual missions. Enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 1: Intro and stuff

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, everything has to start somewhere, and here, like most other KSP games, I started out with a simple sounding rocket, the Safe 'n Sound 1

LENam2n.png

Isn't she a Beauty?

wqItXSO.png

Unfortunately, the parachute was deployed in flight. Still got 72 whole science points!!!

Y6hCuO1.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Since I am using BARIS, i want to do some Testing

Spoiler

ZibawD1.png

Not THAT kind of testing, Jeb!

Sigh. . . .  Later.

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

CHAPTER 2: Space is the place

We start off with a new rocket, the Safe 'n Sound 2. It's a big upgrade from the first rocket, and cound probably reach orbit with an upper stage.

czAo2x3.png

GAS GAS GAS

d7WelxE.png

Beautiful from up here, huh.

JpEt6OS.png

Back to Kerba Firma again, after nearly disintegrating. By the way, I had no control over the rocket at all the whole time

pqog5dc.png

All in all, a successful mission. 82 science points, too!

zoADvBr.png

Now for crew

CHAPTER 2 1/2

Say Hello to the SHTICK mk1, the KSP's first crewed vehicle

ypD2klX.png

Uhg. Does it have to look like that?

-Engineer's Comment: No, but we wanted to upset Administration by making it look Horrible.

pitELgK.png

ABORT, ABORT!!!!

-Administrators Comment: Those Lazy engineers, always forgetting stuff. Seriously, no control scheme. We should fire them on the spot!!

Sigh . . . . broken rockets and infighting. Will we ever have success?

CHAPTER 3: Nothing's Working!

We Start off with the first, and probably only flight of this chapter, Horizons 1.

Oi0sifR.png

It's the KSP's second attempt at crewed flight, and this time it looks sensible

-Engineers Comment: Well, we had to after Admin threatened our jobs

VdJ0HxL.png

Ignition! Of the SRB lower stage

PIUq1jL.png

Stage separation

xxEGvr5.png

Burning hot

bZCChdp.png

Gosh darn it! Stupid part limits

b2sCNfh.png

Jeb is sad

7Q6BZp0.png

The reentry has problems with oscillations. Luckily, nothing came of them

JqOPTIq.png

Safe in the water (even the capsule looks sad)

All in all, a sort of failure. Jeb went to space, but not to orbit.

-Administrations comment: Why didn't we build a bigger rocket? Where are the Moar Boosters!

-Rnd's Comment: Not our fault! It was engineering!

-Engineering's Comment: It was the financial dept.!

-Financial Dept.'s Comment: We dont have the money to upgrade our buildings! We spent it all on cheese!

-Everyone's Comment: Then who spent the money!

-Jeb's Comment: :blush: Ummmmmmmm . . . . .

Also, i'm sorry about the shorter chapters, especially compared to other mission reports. The length of the chapter just tends to coincide with the amount of KSP I play a day

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

CHAPTER 4: Building, Flying, Dreaming!

Boys, This is gonna be a big one

The Crewed Orbit program is going well, with the introduction of a new rocket, the New Horizons

RfvopLg.png

You know how it goes

iaO529Z.png

VYgM1eL.png

<Insert build fly dream music>

yBqaoie.png

All in all, a fully successful mission

Jeb went to space

Science was gained

And I forgot to take screenshots of the time in space.

Now, we do some probe stuff.

nG3hcmU.png

Behold, the Horizons 3

I forgot to take screenshots of the launch, as I had no SAS and it was quite hard

MniUkYO.png\

Science was got, blah blah blah, cool satellite

I needed money, so decided to take a contract to test an engine. The deployment thing for space is the satellite but without much in it.

SHeo0FX.png

The LV is just New Horizons minus boosters

GuCuGFP.png

Fxlj8Ae.png

SJwiQZW.png

M5B95La.png

Deploying engine

5b7VjeC.png

Now defunct, the empty cargo bay drifts through space

Oh, and I messed around with planes a bit

Spoiler

eRYb7Ll.png

quIbPJc.png

Below: an earlier iteration

mzhXZtd.png

All in all, a good day for the KSP.

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

CHAPTER 5: I'M BACK, BABY!

Just one mission today, but an important one. The space program has decided, after a long hiatus, to reach farther than LKO, to POL, Kerbins's only moon (yes i am using an indev version of KerBinary)

BEHOLD: The Pol 1

TRjFh3N.png

Got some nice shots

b3t9gte.png

Waterfall is amazing

o035WxO.png

This is giving me Virgin Orbit vibes

PzgKuAk.png

Tylo, Kerbol, and Grannus in one picture

dA6wbIh.png

DUfuqY0.png

Burning for Pol

OHbEVhu.png

kxCjrM4.png

Pol flyby

GWdLV7M.png

Leaving Pol

j9vqmIj.png

Mission over, leaving Pol 1 to drift forever among the stars

wvS5nSY.png

Mission accomplished!

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER 6: WE MEET AGAIN (AGAIN)

Hooh BOY, this is gonna be a big one.

First, we start off with a few changes to the space program. First of all, the Horizons program is being split into 2. The Horizons program is going to become exclusively crewed missions, and the new program, the Dawn program will have the unmanned ones. Also, i installed the state funding mod (using the USK).

This will be the first launch, an unmanned test flight of the new advanced Muun Capsule (the Muun is the mun in Kerbinary, but it's a planet)

R66aY14.png

Liftoff!

xUAMkp4.png

EkHJPaV.png

S2SePxx.png

vhZAsu7.png

Next: we farmed some science

8mVrAW0.png

vMsL5ze.png

Now for the launch of Telecom 1 - Dawn 5. it will validate the usefulness of communication satellites in orbit. it will be the last of the Cargo Bay Satellites

FcoPklI.png

Ignore the antennae

JGMliDZ.png

D5moo2L.png

Mission accomplished!

Now for a Big Deal

TO TYLO

BRAiK9D.png

To get to Tylo, the New Horizons rocket will be in its most powerful configuration, with 3 stages and 4 boosters. Also, sorry for the lack of pictures. The mission was stressful.

Qn8Crwh.png

oyozPGx.png

At Tylo, flying by GIlly

ovx8KE5.png

Now the fuel is spent and the active part of the mission has ended, the passive part can now happen

ZP1lTVn.png

All in all, a good day for the KSP

A Report on the New Horizons Launch Vehicle

The New Horizons Launch Vehicle is an incredibly configurable rocket. It has an optional 3rd stage and number of solid rocket side boosters ranging form 0 to 4. It also even has an optional fairing. The naming convention is as follows: New Horizons starts it off. Next is the number of boosters, Then the number of stages, the if it has a fairing, represented as an F or an N.Examples as follows: New Horizons 22F; New Horizons 43N; New Horizons 00F. This Has been a report on the New Horizons Launch Vehicle.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chapter 7: Business as Usual

Did . . . Something just happen? It feels like a year just passed, yet it also feels like nothing at all. Everyone is in their normal places and nothing seems off, yet I have a sinking feeling that I just missed something important. Yet, regardless, the show must go on. There are still rockets to launch, moons to orbit, and with that, we come to the Horizons 4:

1XQPKjs.png

Built with the most powerful Horizons rocket to date, it even has an orbital maneuvering module for advanced rendezvous capabilities. That, in fact, is it's mission. To Rendezvous with another spacecraft in orbit and, well, kinda just say hi. We haven't really figured out how to dock yet.

XgNqDNH.png

We begin with a launch in the early morning, which on Kerbin is actually still hours away from sunrise

sWEiDEV.png

And we lift off, the 4 boosters burning bright

i6JQjTZ.png

A clean booster separation

xIJkkWh.png

And MECO achieved

DBwwd6X.png

The second stage ignites as we witness an orbital sunrise

E43kHpn.png

As the automatic maneuver system was glitching, jeb had to manually get himself into orbit

YDHvUAt.png

Second stage cutoff

Czojpx5.png

Capsule detachment as the solar panels cannot generate power from inside the fairing

LGM6UKD.png

And a great view of Tylo in the background

oI3H5Ew.png

Now Pol and Tylo, both Kerbin's celestial companions. Alas, we have to end the mission early after 18 days in orbit as we have run out of provisions early (I was messing around with configuring Snacks! as the longer day of Kerbin in the mod messes with it I think)

DLsyBwp.png

Deorbited

CGdPIeC.png

Re-entering

z6qnfrh.png

And Landed.

------End of the Horizons 4 Mission------

All in all, a successful mission. SCIENCE! was gained, although we didn't get to attempt a rendezvous. However, we did get to test the limits of the endurance of the Horizons spacecraft and our astronauts. That'll be Jeff Kerman, signing off-

Spoiler

what? Hey wait, why are you here?! You aren't supposed to be here! I did nothing wrong!

Spoiler

Wait wait don't take me there aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

You weren't supposed to hear that, sorry

The space program will be properly reformed under the new government of United East Kerbonia's new administration. The Chancellor will be pleased.

Author's Note: Snacks! has some issues with the modified (longer) day meaning a kerbal could survive for 30 times longer than intended as the day is 30 normal days long. I think I have solved this but we will see.

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 8: Trials and Tribulations

Welp. I guess I'm the new mission documenter.  I don't really know who's actually reading these, but I hope you weren't bored out of your mind by the last guy. Actually, what did happen to the last guy? Nevermind, we have stuff to do. A fishy looking guy named Gene showed up on our doorstep with a very official looking letter saying that The Central Directorate and The Chancellor himself have ordered that more manned missions shall be conducted outside of Low Kerbin Orbit. Specifically, Pol.

To accomplish these lofty goals, the best college dropouts engineers of of the SSP have been ordered to stay up for roughly a week, using extreme amounts of caffeine to devise the Horizons 5 spacecraft:

FT52m29.png

Jedediah, the only Kerbal as of yet to ever fly into space has been elected to go on this mission. It only took a little bit of knockout gas to get him into the rocket.

9d7iKzn.png

The twin SRB's are a new design, meant to stretch the limits of what the base New Horizons rocket is able to do. The capsule and spacecraft are basically just the Horizons 4 spacecraft but with an added fuel tank in the middle.

mg1Glkr.png

Wait, something went wrong with the SRB separation. It appears attaching them from the bottom leads to, well, issues. Perhaps also, getting Jeb to fly the rocket while still under the effects of ether might have not been the best idea.

nmG7sps.png

He manages to abort safely, much to the chagrin of mission control, where cries of "JEEEEB!!" can be heard.

5lJEcAq.png

When we recovered him, he kind of just flopped out of the capsule. As far as our resident medical expert can say, "Welp. He's probably not awake. I don't know what you're asking me about this for, I just clean the toilets around here"

However, the show must go on. Gene has still been hanging around the offices asking about the status of a Pol mission, and he has a few very serious looking government guys behind him to back up his claim.

Valentina has been chosen to lead this mission, as Jeb is still recovering. It'll be a Pol flyby mission/Extended duration flight mission.

ZsPYqqo.png

This time, as shown by this amazing graphic, we have shifted the boosters downwards, which should fix the issue of the rocket exploding horribly and failing the mission.

4W4a8sy.png

The rocket is the same as last time otherwise

MM8rolf.png

Everyone in mission control is praying that the boosters separate cleanly, save Anthony. We don't like Anthony.

1ZZRp9g.png

Luckily enough, we get a clean separation. Everything is norminal. Or is it nominal?

WBVGLPp.png

And another stage separation. This stage is low-thrust enough that we'll just burn all of the way to orbit

pUyOK0m.png

And the third stage, to finish up

h95RXqW.png

The shroud is jettisoned, thus marking the third ever manned orbital flight.

Oqd5duJ.pngValentine begins the Trans-Pol injection burn, right at orbital sunset. Lots of oooh's and aah's from observers.

GbMxREO.png

On the, actually only 3-hour or 1/2 day trip towards Pol, catching a glimpse of Tylo on the way. Sometime, we will return to Tylo, and next time with Kerbals.

Fkbp62K.png

Valentina reaches the actual flyby, but unfortunately for everyone waiting for  pretty photos of the surface, we don't get close enough to make any features out. To make things even worse, we go by on the dark side, completely obscuring our view

Uuua4eH.png

While leaving Pol, Val catches a shot of the dark side of Pol. Frankly, too dark for me.

kTgvIOD.png

Valentine makes an orbital correction burn to bring her Periapsis above the atmosphere. She is going to stay in orbit for 4 more days, much to her incessant groaning about "no leg room" and "the only food to eat is chicken salad." Frankly, I love chicken salad, so I see no issues.

qXeayHi.png

She waves one last goodbye to Pol and Tylo, as mission control reminds her that they can't wave back, as they aren't sentient beings. She has to de-orbit as she has run out of food, and The Central Directorate demands she be brought back with minimal starvation. I guess they don't realize that malnutrition builds character, but whatever

2MO7DXJ.png

Fuel and power separation

ylu25Ux.png

A bit toasty on reentry; one of the engineers remarked that the reentry plasma would be great to grill on

owgUMlh.png

As the navigation computer broke, she ends up landing in the middle of the Kimilayan mountain range. I hope she brought the bear gun.

J6bde7Y.png

She manages to get out of the capsule, therefore proving herself better than Jebediah, and becomes the first Kerbal to reach Pol and return

-----END REPORT-----

Edited by TRAPPIST-1E

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.