[KSP 1.8+] Kerbal Konstructs (Continued)

NathanKell

In @Ger_space's  absence, @AlphaAsh  has given me (and the KSP-RO team) permission to continue Kerbal Konstructs and to redistribute the Kerbal Konstructs assets.

Kerbal Konstructs

New buildings and Launchsites

This is the continuation of @Ger_space's work on @AlphaAsh's great mod, which provides the foundation to add new static objects to the worlds of KSP. This statics can also provide various functions like fuel tanks or office buildings, which provide an steady income or new Launchsites and Runways.
Kerbal Konstructs provides the editor to create new bases and the tools to select new launchsites. It also provides a landing guide.
Since Release 1.3 you can also edit the planets terrain, to create mountains, or flat areas where you want to place your bases.

There is some Documentation in the wiki

Screenshots:

GAf5GPJ.pngT4u4Fv1.pngtkPiFN7.pngx1wcVo4.pngUaCngdA.pngExOtHBb.png

Installation: via CKAN.

If you wish to install manually, download the latest release and also install the dependency Custom Prelaunch Checks.

Source on GitHub

License: Plugin is MIT, Assets are (most-)All Rights Reserved (see GitHub repository's front-page readme).

This initial release not only provides compatibility with later versions of KSP, it also fixes a longstanding issue where KK broke modded (CustomBarnKit-using) careers. Special thanks to itsRyan/ryanc55 ( @iAMtheWALRUS)  for fixing the issue!

Edited by NathanKell
1.12 works now.

2 hours ago, planeticegaming said:

does this work with 1.12.1

I have tested this on KSP 1.12.2 and the CTL-K edit issue is still there.  So existing statics display and the facilities are functional, but making changes or adding new things cannot be done with the in-game editor.

@NathanKell If this is the KK build for KSP-RO, perhaps the forum title could reflect that. If it is for general use that's fine as well. And hopefully a fix for the edit function is on it's way. :happy:   

Edited by Caerfinon

Sup, I've been having this problem for a while now, I'm using 1.11.1 and when I spawn a new launchpad, such as LC-5 or 6, the instance editor refuses to show up. I've uninstalled all my mods other than KK and it's dependencies, and it still won't work. Can someone give me some tips on how to fix this?

17 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

I have tested this on KSP 1.12.2 and the CTL-K edit issue is still there.  So existing statics display and the facilities are functional, but making changes or adding new things cannot be done with the in-game editor.

@NathanKell If this is the KK build for KSP-RO, perhaps the forum title could reflect that. If it is for general use that's fine as well. And hopefully a fix for the edit function is on it's way. :happy:   

It's for general use, just like how Proc Parts and Proc Fairings are for general use, it's just we ended up maintaining them in the end. :]

And yes, happy to look at whatever issues remain on KK. Please make an issue on the repo so we don't forget! That goes for you @ColdJas well, seems like you have a decent handle on the 1.12 issues.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:29 PM, NathanKell said:

And yes, happy to look at whatever issues remain on KK. Please make an issue on the repo so we don't forget! That goes for you @ColdJas well, seems like you have a decent handle on the 1.12 issues.

I just observe behaviours and look for logical reasons behind them. In my current 1.12.1 I only use  it for a water spawn point as I am mostly adapting and testing parts in it. @Caerfinon is my main man for everything KK as he uses it extensively for his great mission packs. He is very diligent and I am sure he will always keep you up to date with any issues he comes across. Cheers.

This was my first post here so as close I can get to the top.

Custom Prelaunch Checks is a dependency of KK and is included in the Original versions. If you don't put it in the GameData folder then KK will not come up to be interacted with in game.

This has been a community announcement. I do not have any input into the developement of this mod.

Edited by ColdJ

7 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Please make an issue on the repo so we don't forget!

Excellent news!  I've been to the repo and I don't see an issues section on it. I'd be happy to post one as soon as it is available. 

6 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Excellent news!  I've been to the repo and I don't see an issues section on it. I'd be happy to post one as soon as it is available. 

Ugh. Sorry. Fixed. For some reason GitHub defaults to disabling that section.

1 hour ago, Damian081604 said:

All I can find are no longer compatible with current versions of KSP.

While the additional KK mods are listed as being for older versions of KSP most of the statics in them still work. 

I use the following extensively and have had them working in KSP 1.12.2;

• Kerbin Side Core - part of original Kerbin Side package. Contains many useful statics.
  • FASTCORP Roads and Bridges  - roads, bridges, Race Tracks, signs
  • CountryDoggo's Random KK Bits  - added flavour for bases
  • Omega's Stockalike Structures - Interlocking base parts
  • CountryDoggo's SciFi Statics  - Domes pipes drills (on SpaceDock Only)

Some of them include their own deployed bases which you can delete after install if you just want to use the parts.

• Kerbin Side Core - part of original Kerbin Side package. Contains many useful statics.
  • FASTCORP Roads and Bridges  - roads, bridges, Race Tracks, signs
  • CountryDoggo's Random KK Bits  - added flavour for bases
  • Omega's Stockalike Structures - Interlocking base parts
  • CountryDoggo's SciFi Statics  - Domes pipes drills (on SpaceDock Only)

Water Launch Sites also works

Edited by Splinter6662
Added a quote

I'm having some issues with this and Kerbin Side Remastered on KSP 1.12.2 basically It's as if KK is not even installed. There is no KK options in the difficulty settings when starting a new save, nothing showing on the map and I have no new launch sites to select, there's also no toolbar buttons or anything. I haven't used KK since KSP 1.9 so I don't know if anything has changed, I'm not seeing any documentation on how launch site selection and such should work for, as if it should be obvious or it's assumed people just know how this works.

Here's my KSP.log

EDIT: just noticed that my test install is still on 1.12.1 but I am getting the same results in my main install which is on 1.12.2 but I will update my test install just to be sure.

EDIT2: no change on 1.12.2

Edited by Akira_R

1 hour ago, Akira_R said:

Here's my KSP.log

Your install looks like this:

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v4.2.1.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2

Folders and files in GameData:
000_Toolbar
KerbalKonstructs
KerbinSideRemastered
Stock folder: Squad

ModuleManager.4.2.1.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree

I do not see the Kerbal Konstructs DLL listed, nor do you have Custom Pre Launch Checks installed which is a requirement for Kerbal Konstructs. Make sure you have the latest versions of these installed

You should remove MiniAVC v1.0.3.2 as it typically causes more issues than it fixes

Also note, that even if you do get it functioning in KSP1.12 the editor feature currently does not function in that version. You will not be able to add or change anything, but the existing bases in Kerbin Side Remastered will display and work as intended. 

Edited by Caerfinon

8 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Your install looks like this:

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v4.2.1.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2

Folders and files in GameData:
000_Toolbar
KerbalKonstructs
KerbinSideRemastered
Stock folder: Squad

ModuleManager.4.2.1.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree

I do not see the Kerbal Konstructs DLL listed, nor do you have Custom Pre Launch Checks installed which is a requirement for Kerbal Konstructs. Make sure you have the latest versions of these installed

You should remove MiniAVC v1.0.3.2 as it typically causes more issues than it fixes

Also note, that even if you do get it functioning in KSP1.12 the editor feature currently does not function in that version. You will not be able to add or change anything, but the existing bases in Kerbin Side Remastered will display and work as intended. 

Ok that definitely would explain the behavior I am seeing. Problem is I installed everything from the KK Git linked in the OP, and there is zero information about dependencies or where I would find them, that feels like a pretty major oversight...

I saw you post something about this Custom Pre Launch Checks thing when I was digging through this and the old KK thread, but googling it only brings up the old KK thread, so help me out here, where am I supposed to get this stuff, where is it linked? An why does this not have all of the appropriate dependencies or the necessary KK doll??? Lol

EDIT: Ok so I'm back at my computer and I popped open the KK folder and the KK dll is sitting in there as it should be, so I don't know what is preventing it from getting loaded.... Again I'm using the Latest release linked in the OP, v1.8.2.1 for KSP 1.10, which according to posts here should be working on 1.12 correct? Perhaps it is the lack of this Custom Pre Launch Checks thing, which I still haven't found....

EDIT2: Got it working, poked around on the GitHub, noticed 2 branches for KK and the branch owned by KodeUI had the Custom Pre Launch Checks folder in it, so I downloaded that branch and just took the Custom Pre Launch Checks folder and everything is working as intended.

@NathanKell might want to include that in the release or at least link to it and let people know they need to grab it.

Edited by Akira_R

8 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

All of the dependencies are handled if you use CKAN to install

lol well that's very nice, I don't use CKAN and I never will, and that is an insanely lazy excuse, dependencies should be stated by the mod author, that's how this whole thing works. CKAN is a wonderful crutch for those with out the time, or pre-requisite knowledge of computers, to learn how modding KSP works and how simple things like folder structures are set up.

EDIT: just to clarify I'm not saying CKAN is a bad thing, it's great that CKAN can help bring mods to a wider audience of people who would be discouraged by the prospect of manually installing mods (even though this is one of the simplest games out there when it comes to installing mods) but CKAN often leads to more headaches than it solves, at least for mod authors. Also you have much more control over your mods doing things manually, I tend to heavily mod KSP and usually have to patch a bunch of stuff together to get it all playing nicely, been doing it for almost 10 years now lol

Edited by Akira_R

46 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

dependencies should be stated by the mod author, that's how this whole thing works.

This thread was started a few days ago by a very prolific community member who is taking over an existing mod that no one has been working on for a long time, so ... clearly we see this differently, but I'm really excited that someone has taken this on out of the kindness of their heart and love for the community. 

The original mod and thread still exists. If being on the bleeding edge of a mod's development is uncomfortable for you the original one can still be downloaded, and has all the requirements in the zip file. You'd be looking for:

Kerbal-Konstructs-1.8.1.15.zip

and the thread is here:

Or here

https://github.com/GER-Space/Kerbal-Konstructs/releases