[KSP 1.8+] Kerbal Konstructs (Continued)

NathanKell

So I've been working on this for a while:

Spoiler

and thought I'd share a couple of things I figured out in case they help anyone else.

If you ever accidently press Export on the KK editor, be sure to go empty out the KerbalKonstructs/ExportedInstances folder, otherwise you'll have duplicates of everything next time you start KSP.

If you are moving your files out of KerbalKonstructs/NewInstances, and putting them into your own folder, you should also be aware of the consequences of editing after that point. Anything new that you place will create a new XYZ-instances.cfg in KerbalKonstructs/NewInstances. But if you place another copy of a static you already have an instance of, you now have two physical files that both contain valid instances. You cannot just move this new file out of NewInstances into your custom folder, or you'll overwrite your previous instances of this static. Doing this requires that you merge the contents of the two files. My takeaway from this is that a) I try to leave everything in NewInstances for as long as I think I'm still editing. And if I need to edit a set of cfgs that I've pulled out, I think I'll move them all back into NewInstances, start KSP and do my editing. This way KK can merge new instances into existing cfg files. Then I'll move them back out after the editing session. 

Notes from the trenches :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i posted an issue on the Github issues page about launchpads getting offset (clipping into the ground or floating) on far away planets upon launching from them, is this a good place to get the mod author's attention? 
this only seems to happen to launchpads (I've tested runways, and launchpads of several types, all are affected, but stuff like fuel tank props don't seem to be), and it doesn't seem to affect launchpads in the vicinity of Kerbin (I first noticed it when making pads around Dres, as my Minmus and Mun launchpads were unaffected, and it is more severe on Vall)

Using terrain decals helps to an extent but it's only a patch on the issue.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to a planet/moon far from kerbin (i've seen this on Vall and Dres).
    2. Spawn a launchpad/runway and make a launchsite .
    3. Return to VAB, open the site, and launch from it (this might take multiple tries).
    The launchsite should then be offset into the air or clipped into the ground.

The Github Issues page 

I can post screenshots or logs if needed, simply let me know.

Thanks!

EDIT: added steps to reproduce

unknown.png

Edited by gloop3621
Adding additional information

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, marnerpor said:

The mod doesn't work.

Welcome to the forums. The two most important things about getting mods to work are the installation and the requirements. Unfortunately, with the amount of info you've given (zero) there's no way for anyone else to know what's up or what you should try, aside from the very generic advice of install it correctly and make sure you have the requirements, too. If you'd like some more specific help, you'll need to show some info. The easiest to show is probably just a screenshot of the GameData folder within your KSP install. I'd recommend a free imgur account for storing pictures, and use the direct link feature from imgur to paste into a forum message (embedded in a spoiler tag is best).

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

19 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Welcome to the forums. The two most important things about getting mods to work are the installation and the requirements. Unfortunately, with the amount of info you've given (zero) there's no way for anyone else to know what's up or what you should try, aside from the very generic advice of install it correctly and make sure you have the requirements, too. If you'd like some more specific help, you'll need to show some info. The easiest to show is probably just a screenshot of the GameData folder within your KSP install. I'd recommend a free imgur account for storing pictures, and use the direct link feature from imgur to paste into a forum message (embedded in a spoiler tag is best).

I've installed it with CKAN, it works well now.
Thanks!

On 12/9/2021 at 10:57 AM, Draakul said:

Been playing around with KK and had it working pretty well however, after I started a new career mode save, I am unable to get the KK menu to show up when using Ctrl+K for some reason. Even though the KK button shows on in the toolbar in flight scene.

I've tried reinstalling KK, and making sure the settings matched that of those I used in a sandbox mode when it worked well. I'm running on KSP 1.12 and had it working perfectly with the same set of mods in a different save.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey! Did you ever find a fix to this issue? I'm having that same problem and I have no idea what to do. 

10 minutes ago, ThatGuyOnTheLeft said:

Hey! Did you ever find a fix to this issue? I'm having that same problem and I have no idea what to do. 

Have you fully read the first posts in this thread, made sure you have the latest version that patched the problem with 1.12.x onwards and made sure you have the dependency "CustomPreLaunchChecks" installed?

You also didn't say what version of KSP you are using.

On 2/13/2022 at 3:52 PM, ThatGuyOnTheLeft said:

Hey, I wasn't able to find the exact problem causing the issue but I just redownloaded the mod from gtihub along with the latest version of all the dependencies and reinstalled them. That ended up fixing the problem for me at leas. Hope that helps.

6 hours ago, SpaceXEnthusiast said:

Hey, does anyone know how you import KerbalKonstructs statics? I have the .zip from clicking the export button but I don't know what to do.

Just unzip it in the GameData folder of the KSP you are importing it into, as long as you have KK and it's dependencies installed it will find the config file and set it up in the game next load.

I'm trying to make some new custom ground stations for my career game using kerbal konstructs. However, it didn't work, I don't know what cause this problem and it would be nice if you guys can help me.

This is my mod list:

Airplane Plus (AirplanePlus 26.5)
Airplane Plus Things (AirplanePlusThings 1.0)
AlphaMensae's Modular Launch Pads (ModularLaunchPads 2.2.0.b)
Animated Decouplers (AnimatedDecouplers v1.5.0)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.9.6)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.18.0)
BDArmory for Runway Project (BDArmoryForRunwayProject 2:v1.4.15.0)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.6.0)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit v5.2.0.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.2)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.4)
Connected Living Space (ConnectedLivingSpace v2.0.1.0)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.5)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations Reborn (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2:3.7.3)
Contract Pack: RemoteTech (ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech 2.1.4)
Contract Pack: Research Advancement Division (ResearchAdvancementDivision 1.2.0)
CountryDoggo's Random KK Bits (CountryDoggosRandomKKBits 0.1.1)
Cryo Tanks (CryoTanks 1.6.4)
Cryo Tanks Core (CryoTanks-Core 1.6.4)
Cryogenic Engines (CryoEngines 1:2.0.6)
Custom Pre Launch Checks (CustomPreLaunchChecks 1.8.1.1)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.3.1)
Distant Object Enhancement /L (DistantObject v2.1.1.6)
Distant Object Enhancement /L default config (DistantObject-default v2.1.1.6)
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric (DMagicScienceAnimate v0.23)
Dynamic Battery Storage (DynamicBatteryStorage 2:2.2.5.0)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Firespitter (Firespitter v7.17)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.17)
Firespitter Resources config (FirespitterResourcesConfig v7.17)
FullAutoStrut (FullAutoStrut v3.0.1.0)
Global Construction (GroundConstruction 2.6.4.1)
Global Construction Core (GroundConstruction-Core 2.6.4.1)
Grounded - Modular Vehicles (Grounded 5.0)
Heat Control (HeatControl 0.6.1)
JX2Antenna (JX2Antenna 2.0.5)
Kerbal Actuators (KerbalActuators v1.8.3)
Kerbal Aircraft Expansion (KerbalAircraftExpansion 4:2.8.1.0)
Kerbal Atomics (KerbalAtomics 1:1.3.3)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.10)
Kerbal Changelog (KerbalChangelog v1.4.2)
Kerbal Foundries2 (KerbalFoundriesContinued 2.4.8.18)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.29)
Kerbal Inventory System - No Fun (KerbalInventorySystemNoFun 1:0.1.11.0)
Kerbal Konstructs (KerbalKonstructs v1.8.3.0)
Kerbal Reusability Expansion (SpaceXLegs 2.9.2)
KerBalloons Continued (KerBalloons 1:0.5.0.9)
Kerbin Side Remastered (KerbinSideRemastered 1.0.1)
Konstruction (Konstruction 1.4.0)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.12.1-77)
KSC Switcher (KSCSwitcher v2.0.0.0)
KSP Recall (KSP-Recall v0.2.1.3)
KSP Wheel (KSPWheel 1:0.16.14.33)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.11.0)
Mark IV Spaceplane System (MarkIVSpaceplaneSystem 3.2.0)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.12.3.0)
Mk3 Stockalike Expansion (Mk3Expansion 1.6)
MoarKerbalsParts (MoarKerbalsParts 0.9.99.0)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.10.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
Near Future Aeronautics (NearFutureAeronautics 2.1.1)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 1.3.1)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 1.2.3)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 1.2.3)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.7.1)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.2.0)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 1.3.5)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.3.2)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.3.2)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.4.3)
Omega's Stockalike Structures: No Textures Required (StockalikeStructures 0.0.12)
Physics Range Extender  (PhysicsRangeExtender 1.20.0)
Real Solar System (RealSolarSystem v18.5.0)
Real Solar System Textures - 16384 x 8192 (RSSTextures16K v18.3)
RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.9.11)
ReStock (ReStock 1.3.3)
RSS Visual Enhancements - Low Resolution (RSSVE-LR 2.1.4)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0831)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0831)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0831)
SimpleConstruction! (SimpleConstruction 1:4.0.2.7)
SMURFF (SMURFF 1.9.1)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.8.4)
Staged Animation (StagedAnimation v2.0)
Stock Scatter Collider Enabler Patch (StockScatterColliderEnablerPatch v1.0.1)
System Heat (SystemHeat 0.5.6)
Textures Unlimited (TexturesUnlimited 1.5.10.25)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.4.6.8)
USI Core (USI-Core 1.4.0)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:1.4.1)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 1.4.0)
USI Tools (USITools 1.4.0)
Waterfall - Restock (WaterfallRestock 0.2.3)
Waterfall Core (Waterfall 0.8.1)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.3.1)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.2)

19 minutes ago, 012phuong said:

I'm trying to make some new custom ground stations for my career game using kerbal konstructs. However, it didn't work, I don't know what cause this problem and it would be nice if you guys can help me.

As long as youhave the latest  KKcontinued and Custom Pre launch checks, the rest is not helpful for this question.

What you need to do is say what version of KSP and exactly what didn't work for you, e.g is KK showing in your toolbars. Did the editor not show up when you hit Alt K, etc.

6 hours ago, mmamh2008 said:

Does anyone know why this is happening ?

The grass turns into a shiny yellow lamp

Assuming that is road or runway. I don't know it's set up myself but if it uses an emissive texture set up and the texture file for the emissive background has gone missing or corrupted, then the main texture doesn't get darkened properly and as a result it looks all lit up. If you can look at an original installation for that static and compare with what you have, you may find a missing texture pic.

Just now, ColdJ said:

As long as youhave the latest  KKcontinued and Custom Pre launch checks, the rest is not helpful for this question.

What you need to do is say what version of KSP and exactly what didn't work for you, e.g is KK showing in your toolbars. Did the editor not show up when you hit Alt K, etc.

Sorry about that, I'm using KSP ver 1.11.2 right now, i can open the editor and use them without any problems, what didn't work is the ground station function, it won't connect to my probe even when i spawn right next to it. Yes, i did enable the remotetech option in the settings, I also opened the ground station but it won't work

6 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Assuming that is road or runway. I don't know it's set up myself but if it uses an emissive texture set up and the texture file for the emissive background has gone missing or corrupted, then the main texture doesn't get darkened properly and as a result it looks all lit up. If you can look at an original installation for that static and compare with what you have, you may find a missing texture pic.

It was working but when I closed ksp and opened it again , this happened , nothing major except a restart , so where should I find those textures ?

1 hour ago, mmamh2008 said:

It was working but when I closed ksp and opened it again , this happened , nothing major except a restart , so where should I find those textures ?

Depends where they come from, KK's own free statics folder or from a mod that uses KK. The textures should be in the same folder that holds the configuration files (.cfg) and the model file (.mu) for that static. Look at what the static is called in the editor when you are going through the list of things that you can add and then try to match it with the name in a config file. Just open the config as you would a text document and read the "name =" to find out what it is called. Otherwise KK has been known to randomly mess up it's configuring of statics. You might need to remove, save , then put back in again. I had trouble where a runway I had on the ice had it's border set for the snow texture and randomly it would shift back to grass. I believe that if you can find the location configuration file (for that area) and move it out of the KK folder structure, but still inside the GameData folder structure, that may stop it from happening in the future.

39 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Depends where they come from, KK's own free statics folder or from a mod that uses KK. The textures should be in the same folder that holds the configuration files (.cfg) and the model file (.mu) for that static. Look at what the static is called in the editor when you are going through the list of things that you can add and then try to match it with the name in a config file. Just open the config as you would a text document and read the "name =" to find out what it is called. Otherwise KK has been known to randomly mess up it's configuring of statics. You might need to remove, save , then put back in again. I had trouble where a runway I had on the ice had it's border set for the snow texture and randomly it would shift back to grass. I believe that if you can find the location configuration file (for that area) and move it out of the KK folder structure, but still inside the GameData folder structure, that may stop it from happening in the future.

OSSNTR says no textures required , it uses stock textures , the textures work fine but the grass one does not .

11 hours ago, mmamh2008 said:

OSSNTR says no textures required , it uses stock textures , the textures work fine but the grass one does not .

Re do it. I had trouble where a runway I had on the ice had it's border set for the snow texture and randomly it would shift back to grass. I believe that if you can find the location configuration file (for that area) and move it out of the KK folder structure, but still inside the GameData folder structure, that may stop it from happening in the future.  If that doesn't work then it is beyond my Knowledge base. Look for the instance config in here.

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalKonstructs\NewInstances\

7 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Re do it. I had trouble where a runway I had on the ice had it's border set for the snow texture and randomly it would shift back to grass. I believe that if you can find the location configuration file (for that area) and move it out of the KK folder structure, but still inside the GameData folder structure, that may stop it from happening in the future.  If that doesn't work then it is beyond my Knowledge base. Look for the instance config in here.

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalKonstructs\NewInstances\

I looked in it but still the texture says built in grass , the grass texture itself broke for no reason.

3 minutes ago, mmamh2008 said:

I looked in it but still the texture says built in grass , the grass texture itself broke for no reason.

Yes, the builtin texture are locked away in the KSP places we can't access. Resetting and then moving the instance file out of the KK folder structure are your only hope. I can't help you further than that. If you are unwilling to try that then it is just something to put up with, even though it is annoying.

I tried many different ways to get the kk ground stations connect with my probe through remotetech but nothing work, have anyone managed to set up a working ground station? Also for some reason when i switch my spawnpoint from ksc runway to the new one, the default ground station of rss that stay near it just disappear magically, anyone know what cause it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I've been trying to write a StaticModule for Kerbal Konstructs but even with the simplest module like this:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using UnityEngine;
using KerbalKonstructs.Core;

namespace StarshipLaunchExpansion
{
    public class KKTestModule : StaticModule
    {
        // Constants
        public const string MODULENAME = "ModuleSLEAnimate";

public void Start()
        {
            Debug.Log($"[{MODULENAME}] Hello!!!!");
        }
    }
}

and i am adding it to the static like this:

MODULE
	{
		name = KKTestModule
	}

I keep getting this error thrown in the debug log.

https://imgur.com/a/yGLoCsa

Any suggestions to what i am doing so wrong that something as simple as this doesn't work?

Edit: just noticed the MODULENAME string is defined to the wrong thing, oh well that shouldn’t have any affect as it is only for loggin purposes

Edited by SofieBrink