Show and Tell - Terrain progress

StarSlay3r

This week we added rocks to our terrains. We're living out our Apollo 11 fantasies as we spend precious delta-v flying sideways to avoid boulder fields! Seen here, a few shots of Gilly, Mun, and Pol.

Absolutely wonderful! The detail is incredible.

No doubt this is easier to work with and hopefully more optimized than KSP1's scatters. Overall I hope the game in general doesn't require a NASA computer to run.

3 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Woooowwwwww... and is this going to be collidable?

There's a size threshold below which we don't intend to calculate collision -- that's still in flux, but we don't want your rovers to rattle themselves apart on apple-sized rocks. But yes, the big stuff is collidable. 

1 minute ago, Nate Simpson said:

There's a size threshold below which we don't intend to calculate collision -- that's still in flux, but we don't want your rovers to rattle themselves apart on apple-sized rocks. But yes, the big stuff is collidable. 

If you can, make sure that is moddable. Some of us are more masochistic than others. ;)

1 minute ago, Nate Simpson said:

*Neil Armstrong flashbacks* yes this is gonna be fun

Just now, DunaManiac said:

This is stunning! 2022 can't get here soon enough! If I didn't know better I would believe that some of the scenes were photographs!

Can someone help me find my jaw? I think it's on the floor somewhere

We've got bigger problems than your jaw! my heart is skipping beats!

I just have one question. I'm assuming the rocks are procedurally generated, but will the locations of the rocks be persistent? As in, can I drive around on gilly, then come back to the same spot, and expect the rocks to be in the same positions? Could I leave the game and then come back in later and will the large rocks be still there, or will every scene change or location change cause a new generation?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.