[1.12.2] Fix Stock Docking Nodes (7th August 2021)

JPLRepo

On 8/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, dlrk said:

Help me out here as a user who's just now upgrading to 1.12.2. What's the stock bug, what mods does this break, and does @Gotmachine's mod prevent it from breaking those mod?

Once you save and load/enter and exit TimeWarp/shift focus from/to the craft (anything that makes the game persist the craft) the game, DockingPorts start to drift/distort - with the effect being more proeminent when the Port is under stress.

Spoiler

128595889-d2e95ff8-94d6-48f2-adc7-297856

128595917-604092d4-32a6-4381-b5b1-65b3a1

This is not something that may happen, it's something that will happen.

This workaround affects every add'on that needs to address somehow the Stock DockingPort (some will break, others will just stop working) unless they are updated. This post talks about it.

Additionally, once you install this one, every savegame (and craft you made) will need to have the DockingPorts reconfigured by hand, as installing this mod will make KSP forget about every DockingPort setting on evert part on your rig (including upgrades, I think). This may or may not be a problem for you, but probably will for people with longrunning careers.

If we ever have a 1.12.3 release, when so you will not want to use this workaround, everything will happen again . There's a chance that KSP may handle the transition using a thingy called UpgradePipeline, but all the mods that had to be changed to cope with this will need to be changed again.

GotMachine's way of applying this workaround avoids all these problems (the code used on this Workaround is solid, is how it's applied the problem).

Edited by Lisias
Better explanation of the problem.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

If we ever have a 1.12.3 release, when so you will not want to use this workaround, everything will happen again . There's a chance that KSP may handle the transition using a thingy called UpgradePipeline, but all the mods that had to be changed to cope with this will need to be changed again..

And we still do not know about the remain bugfix lifecycle of KSP, that was teased by Squad. So we got some bugfix code from jplrepo and and upgraded version from gotmachine as mods. 

And the silence from squad makes it even more foggy: Should the modders update their mods to use the bugfixmods? Maybe just for a month until a fix on the root issue in KSP itself drops? Or will no fix in ksp drop ever?Nobody knows... This silence really annoys me. 

Communication would help so much.

Edited by Rakete

On 8/31/2021 at 5:25 AM, Rakete said:

And we still do not know about the remain bugfix lifecycle of KSP, that was teased by Squad. So we got some bugfix code from jplrepo and and upgraded version from gotmachine as mods. 

And the silence from squad makes it even more foggy: Should the modders update their mods to use the bugfixmods? Maybe just for a month until a fix on the root issue in KSP itself drops? Or will no fix in ksp drop ever?Nobody knows... This silence really annoys me. 

Communication would help so much.

Not sure why you are annoyed. I have already stated it.
Here:

Wow.  This could've been handled way better.  Both sides.  We need to remember we're both just trying to improve the game, so a little presumption of goodwill would go a long ways.

I'm somewhat shocked that KSP/Squad is taking such a hardline stance on the Harmony framework.  I won't lengthen that discussion beyond this statement...  you should know, if this is the road Squad decides to ultimately take, I will personally be forced to leave this community as a modder due to ethical disagreements.

Edited by R-T-B

5 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Not sure why you are annoyed. I have already stated it.
Here:

Annoyed? Naa, thats the wrong wording. :-) lets call it "irritation". Right now, I have seen no modder adapting their modded docking ports to use this fix mod and make it a dependency (e.g. the wonderful Near future stuff or SSPXr). (Correct me, if i overlooked something). We could take a guess why it is this way. If I was a modder, I would also hesitate. Why? As long is I am not sure, for which amount of time this would bring a player advantage, i would have to adapt all my dockingports to the fix mod and make it a dependency to my stuff, i would not do this. Why? A root issue fix could be around the next corner and i could use my time for other ksp mod projects. That is how I would think, if I was a modder. 

If I was a modder, I would value my time and not adapt my stuff to adapt to a fix, which might be obsolete and not needed anymore soon, when an official fix might drop next week.

But it would behave totally different, if Squad would clearly communicate not to expect an official fix until middle of next year in a good-bye-last-fix. Than it would make sense to adapt the modded additional dockingports in other modders' mods to this fix mod, as players would have an advantage out of this for many months. 

Please understand, that the complaint is neither your fix mod (Really thank you for your efforts !!!) nor the end of ksps support life cycle. It's the highly optimizeable communication. If Squad told, what's planned for the issue in terms of timeline, the modders could make their descisions on their own - based on facts/statements and not on speculation. And I doubt, that the modding guys are keen on creating new dependencies to their mods, if they could also sit and wait and drink coffee, until the issue is fixed in the basegame very soon. To my mind, it's only a matter of the timeline and the communication about it.

Edited by Rakete

7 minutes ago, Rakete said:

And I doubt, that the modding guys are keen on creating new dependencies to their mods, if they could also sit and wait and drink coffee, until the issue is fixed in the basegame very soon. To my mind, it's only a matter of the timeline and the communication about it.

Or by someone else, on  a seamless and transparent way - exactly as it was already done, by the way.

5 hours ago, KawaiiLucy said:

Might be off topic, but: there is the mod "dockrotate" around, which I've used and never had issues with before (drifting) so I must wonder if the root cause is how the rotating code works in the first place?

Nope. The problem happens due a (less than happy) implementation decision made by Squad while coding the Serenity robotic modules, and that was reused on the new Docking Node module.

A full (and somewhat technical) explanation can be found here.

Edited by Lisias
Hit 'save" too soon.

On 9/5/2021 at 5:24 PM, dlrk said:

KSPCommunityFixes

So i finally give up this discussion and installed the community fix pack as the version from JPL would require all my installed mods to be adapted too - and the modders don't provide these changes as far as I could see.

So I don't care anymore if squad likes the way people like @Gotmachine fix their stuff or not. I tried and tried and tried (over various threads) to initiate an open dialogue upon a bugfix for vanilla KSP for this gamebreaker in stock KSP out of the box - for those people, who don't even come to this forum to fetch their copy of a bugfix mod. And the only thing that comes back is silence and "We made all clear", while nothing was made clear by just dropping soft and foggy statements. So to my mind, I give up and will focus my efforts to help bughunting for modders, who value my efforts and my filed bug reports and the way i put the finger on gamebreaking things. I also value my time. 

Don't get me wrong, KSP is a great game. I love it. But the style of communication is more than problematic right now, since it wears people out. Repeating the mantra "we made everything clear" when it wasn't does not help anybody. I did not mean to sound disrespectful, I just give up.

I might come back to the squad-owned threads here and there, when needed (the same "here and there when needed" from the foggy posting about remaining minor bugfix patches. You get it...)

Anyway: I thank JPLRepo and Gotmachine for their efforts and both fix mods. At least it's better than having to stick to 1.11 forever.

Edited by Rakete

@JPLRepo

I both agree that we are sort of "thread crapping" your mod here, while also feeling that this core issue (the use of Harmony) is highly relevant and worthy of discussion.  I know you had to report things being an employee whether you agree with them or not (been there done that), but perhaps it is possible we could get a thread dedicated to this topic somewhere for community input?  It would allow your mod to stick to well...  your mod.

I'm even willing to make it, if someone points me to the correct forum for such dialog.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious:

GameData\FixDockingNodes\MMConfigFixDockingNodes.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
    {
        @name = ModuleDockingNodeFixed
    }
}

and then GameData\KSPCommunityFixes\Support_FixDockingNodes.cfg (timestamp 9 hours  earlier than the prior)

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNodeFixed]]:NEEDS[FixDockingNodes]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleDockingNodeFixed],*
    {
        @name = ModuleDockingNode
    }
}

Is it because GameData\FixDockingNodes\Plugins\FixDockingNodes.dll does a different approach to the issue than GameData\KSPCommunityFixes\Plugins\KSPCommunityFixes.dll ?

4 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Is it because GameData\FixDockingNodes\Plugins\FixDockingNodes.dll does a different approach to the issue than GameData\KSPCommunityFixes\Plugins\KSPCommunityFixes.dll ?

Ja genau. KSPCommunityFix does the job in a way that it's not necessary to replace the ModuleDockingNode - avoiding all the unfortunate collateral damage this would cause.

4 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Love seeing german phrases in an english forum. (No Sarcasm.) Native speaker?

:D Hrhr... 

Nope. PT-BR here. Had to learn some German, however, in order to understand how Germans speak english on my times working as contractor for Siemens Mobile. :)

TL;DR: it screed up my English. :sticktongue:

57 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Nope. PT-BR here. Had to learn some German, however, in order to understand how Germans speak english on my times working as contractor for Siemens Mobile. :)

TL;DR: it screed up my English. :sticktongue:

German-English is funny. I know some guys who translate every german saying into english word by word --- Is always a personal highlight for me.  I am a german native speaker and tend to laugh in those cases. Even more I have to smile when a non-native speaker says "Ja genau" . Love it - in a positive way. :D

And before somebody screams "Offtopic !!!!". This thread isn't goin' anywhere... sadly...

18 minutes ago, Rakete said:

German-English is funny. I know some guys who translate every german saying into english word by word --- Is always a personal highlight for me.  I am a german native speaker and tend to laugh in those cases. Even more I have to smile when a non-native speaker says "Ja genau" . Love it - in a positive way. :D

yeah literal translations are funny. In my language you'd say it's English with hair on:0.0:

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2021 at 6:55 PM, fragtzack said:

Will this be put in ckan?

not by me.

This mod is now superseded by KSP 1.12.3 release.

You can safely remove this mod once you upgrade to 1.12.3 and your crafts and saves should continue to work without an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 5:30 AM, Gotmachine said:

This will break at least 40+ mods that have a ModuleManager patch targeting the stock ModuleDockingNode : https://github.com/search?q=HAS[%40MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]]&type=code (and likely a bunch of plugins that are acquiring ModuleDockingNode references without checking for derivatives).

I ported the fix in the KSPCommunityFixes plugin, as a fix for the original ModuleDockingNode module, avoiding that issue.

Thank you for fixing a problem the OP missed. I'm sorry that you're demonized by people for doing something to help the community.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.