Writing nodes in the CFG vs. in Unity

Hi all, 

I am very new to add-on development, and I was wondering why part attach nodes are written in the CFG if they're configured in Unity along with the materials, CoM etc.

FLofn1L.png

(photo of node lines in the CFG)

Also, a little side question, does anyone know of any good tutorials for developing parts? The one on the KSP wiki is quite outdated.

On 8/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, bigboibru said:

Hi all, 

I am very new to add-on development, and I was wondering why part attach nodes are written in the CFG if they're configured in Unity along with the materials, CoM etc.

FLofn1L.png

(photo of node lines in the CFG)

Also, a little side question, does anyone know of any good tutorials for developing parts? The one on the KSP wiki is quite outdated.

You dont have to set the nodes up in unity all thats done is in the cfg but some mods do set them up in unity 

Other than the version numbers not a whole lot has changed since that wiki -the basics are much the same. Bits a pieces of things that come to mind:

Unity should be version 2019.4.18f1 for the latest parttools.

If using an animation you want to set the animation to "Legacy".

Color animations - there are a few tutorials floating around - I don't have the links handy but Google should find them

On 8/11/2021 at 7:35 AM, bigboibru said:

they're configured in Unity

You don't need to. And same for CoM, CoP and so on, you can change them in CFG. I recommend NodeHelper mos, it allows you to visually configure nodes and other coordinates-using values in VAB. Haven't seen good and up to date part tutorials, but for knowing more about cfg values you can look in official KSP API https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_part.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.