ColdJ

6 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer . Stripped it down to just the door, removed all the old colliders and then put in new ones. Edited the Spec to include the door inserts and resized it to a size I though looked right for a Kerbal to walk through. (which is funny because I let some of the dockable airlocks go down  to a size that could dock with Docking port Jnr, Kerbal would have to remove helmet and grease up to get in :)  ) I think it came out well.

Nice.  Would love to see the rest of the LLL parts fixed, if you have time.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nice.  Would love to see the rest of the LLL parts fixed, if you have time.

It is slow going with me but hopefully as I gain experience I will get faster. I  rely very much on things that already work to give me the tools I need because there are a lot of fundamentals I still have no clue about. I still have to finish getting all the Space 1999 stuff fixed right to put out but cross fingers.

Absolutely Fabulous! Downloading...

One suggestion: For the docking ports with guidance fins, it would be nice if the fins were rotated 60° wrt the rest of the port, so docking can be achieved with the ports in common alignment °— ie top-to-top °— instead of at odd angles such as 60 and 180. The NASA IDSS has this 60° rotation, for instance.

Aaand I just realised that could cause nasty incompatibility issues for those who already have the mod! Not a problem, I am used to overcoming this slight inconvenience! :sticktongue:

4 hours ago, softweir said:

Aaand I just realised that could cause nasty incompatibility issues for those who already have the mod! Not a problem, I am used to overcoming this slight inconvenience! :sticktongue:

Yep, not to mention all the stability issues that were created with Squad trying to have rotating docking ports. Just fore thought your placement and have a port rotated in building to what would be right when you dock in space, easy done.

I love these! (Especially the, uh, *definitely* non-copyright "Police communications hatch"(TM) in blue. =;o] ).

I like the docking collars and sleeves, too. Can the collars have a disposable fairing, to make them a bit more aerodynamic during launches? I'm just think that adding a stock fairing piece below/behind the collar uses up a fair bit of fairing material (and weight/costs) just getting past the length of the collar before you can start to taper inward.

I'm playing "almost pure stock", right now, but once I get the tech tree maxed out I'll be looking for cool new "technologies"/parts to keep extending my game further. These will be high on my shopping list! =:o}

5 minutes ago, pbristow said:

I love these! (Especially the, uh, *definitely* non-copyright "Police communications hatch"(TM) in blue. =;o] ).

I like the docking collars and sleeves, too. Can the collars have a disposable fairing, to make them a bit more aerodynamic during launches? I'm just think that adding a stock fairing piece below/behind the collar uses up a fair bit of fairing material (and weight/costs) just getting past the length of the collar before you can start to taper inward.

I'm playing "almost pure stock", right now, but once I get the tech tree maxed out I'll be looking for cool new "technologies"/parts to keep extending my game further. These will be high on my shopping list! =:o}

You won't need a fairing. I configed them with only a 0.5 angular drag, most parts have 2 angular drag. Basically the same as most stock docking ports. Also I made them quite light, they are all only 50kg  each. Slightly unrealistic I know but it was the trade off to make sure that putting them around your craft wouldn't dramatically change their flight characteristics.

Greetings, I have just dropped by to inform you that I have used this mod along with a few (5) planet packs, and this mod is absolutely amazing.

I can finally go on EVA's without having to fly or climb all the way back up to the stock doors, so this is amazing. 

Some pictures (they may not show, but they are definitely there, rest assured)

Spoiler

Screenshot-406

Screenshot-408

Screenshot-409

Screenshot-428

Screenshot-435

And, the two modules docking finally.

Screenshot-455

A follow up, but now, we're going to hit lightspeed.

Also a small query, some of the airlocks don't have attachment nodes for me, this kind of makes them exclusively radial, I wonder whether this was intentional or if it's a bug on my end?

Anyways, here's your project on it's way to lightspeed.

Screenshot-459

Screenshot-460

Screenshot-461

(Look at KER's indicated Horizontal speed, no the Navball, we're on our way.)

1 hour ago, HyperDraco said:

A follow up, but now, we're going to hit lightspeed.

Also a small query, some of the airlocks don't have attachment nodes for me, this kind of makes them exclusively radial, I wonder whether this was intentional or if it's a bug on my end?

Anyways, here's your project on it's way to lightspeed.

Screenshot-459

Screenshot-460

Screenshot-461

(Look at KER's indicated Horizontal speed, no the Navball, we're on our way.)

That is an impressive ship.

Everything is surface attachable, just stick it to somewhere and then move it with the movement and rotation controls to wherever you want it to go. With surface attach you can keep adding as many things as you want, With node attach, once used that node is gone. I use to nest a standard docking port inside a senior by attaching the senior first then the regular on the side of craft and then moving it so it sat in the centre of the senior just lower than the senior's rim. That way 2 different craft types could use that docking area. Remember that once connected to a craft if you use shift with the fine movement/rotation controls(not snap) then you can put anything anywhere you want.

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

That is an impressive ship.

Everything is surface attachable, just stick it to somewhere and then move it with the movement and rotation controls to wherever you want it to go. With surface attach you can keep adding as many things as you want, With node attach, once used that node is gone. I use to nest a standard docking port inside a senior by attaching the senior first then the regular on the side of craft and then moving it so it sat in the centre of the senior just lower than the senior's rim. That way 2 different craft types could use that docking area. Remember that once connected to a craft if you use shift with the fine movement/rotation controls(not snap) then you can put anything anywhere you want.

Ah so it was intentional, I find it useful for making EVA points for where I know my craft will need them.

On 8/17/2021 at 6:27 AM, ColdJ said:

It is slow going with me but hopefully as I gain experience I will get faster. I  rely very much on things that already work to give me the tools I need because there are a lot of fundamentals I still have no clue about. I still have to finish getting all the Space 1999 stuff fixed right to put out but cross fingers.

I've been working very slowly on the LLL parts (and learning Blender to do so), so whenever you want to help out, let me know too. Dev thread is here: 

Most of the collider stuff is done, but the more times I spend the more oddball problems I keep finding.

43 minutes ago, hypodronic said:

Most of the collider stuff is done, but the more times I spend the more oddball problems I keep finding.

In my very meager time I know what you mean. I am glad that you are already working on it as if I do it it was going to be some time. Nobody had informed me you were doing it, I had only started looking at it for some meshes that could be put to use for other things. So now that I know you are already doing it, I am more than happy to just be of assistance if I can be. I find it best to strip things down to the very base and if neccessary add a mesh collider that is bashed to the original form, then turn it into a normal mesh and throw away the original. So that way you are starting with a fresh more up to date model. Then copy the types of function colliders from modern models that work into your project so that they are up to date with the latest iteration of KSP. As I still haven't found how to create or add texture from complete scratch, adaption of pre-existing and using a Hex editor has been my go to. Looking forward to seeing your work.

14 hours ago, ColdJ said:

In my very meager time I know what you mean. I am glad that you are already working on it as if I do it it was going to be some time. Nobody had informed me you were doing it, I had only started looking at it for some meshes that could be put to use for other things. So now that I know you are already doing it, I am more than happy to just be of assistance if I can be. I find it best to strip things down to the very base and if neccessary add a mesh collider that is bashed to the original form, then turn it into a normal mesh and throw away the original. So that way you are starting with a fresh more up to date model. Then copy the types of function colliders from modern models that work into your project so that they are up to date with the latest iteration of KSP. As I still haven't found how to create or add texture from complete scratch, adaption of pre-existing and using a Hex editor has been my go to. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Yeah I think you're right about deleting & replacing the function colliders - I spent an hour or two trying to debug a weird docking port, and I obviously should have just tried replacing it. I'll post more in the LLL thread about that part...

For the textures, do you mean you don't know how, in Blender, to change the textures, or do you mean you don't know how, in Photoshop/Gimp/etc, to make them? I'm only dipping my toe in textures at the moment too... but if you're using a hex editor I assume that's to change the texture referenced in the .mu or something like that? I'm sure I saw a thread or video about KSP materials in Blender once upon a time but I'm equally sure I'll never find it again. If you have a texture file, you should be able to apply it in Blender by changing it in either the node graph or the materials panel, I think those are meant to be different ways of accessing the same thing. Be sure to use the appropriate KSP material. If that helps? I hope? Either way, good luck!

@hypodronic

Both for model meshes and for textures I  don't yet know how to create them from compete scratch. Being me, instead of wading through tutorials on how to do things I have puzzled out how to do a lot of things by looking at models that work right and by the tool tips that come when you hover over a function. I use the fork of blender called BforArtists 2 (version 2.7 because it was the last to happily use the *.mu plugin), so I don't know if you get tool tips in regular blender. If I want something to have an emissive I import in a model that has that option in it's materials? and change the pathway that the model I am working on uses to the other models. I then export the UV layout to give me a texture map. Use a Hex editor to change the texture names the model looks for and then use Paint.net to create the textures over the UV layout. When I have tried making a simple mesh from scratch, they are never there after I export them to an *.mu and then import them. I once fluked a sphere which I have used in many ways , from patching an interceptor engine to distorting in to windows for my place anywhere windows, but I have no clue how I got it to actually turn up. I have learnt the importance of Hierachy of mesh pieces and colliders. How if you do it correctly all the things under a main model will resize properly. Also never try to resize the top of the Hierachy, always have a second level that every thing is under, for resizing. If you add anything always export before adjusting and then import to see where and what size the new thing is before adjusting it where you want. For some reason Thrust transforms always turn 90% when being exported for me so I need to export then import then export 4 times to make sure they end up pointing the right way. If you are using single engine meshes as part of a larger model, if you put the mesh under the hierachy of the transform then you can see which way they turned when they were exported.

So I am learning a little bit at a time. Adaption of things that already exist to things that do what I want them too has been a theme for a lot of my life.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I now have a half cylinder door that can be put on the side of a standard fuselage and be finessed into almost flush so that you can turn any size 1 tube into a cabin. (completely flush would make the door disappear under the skin.) I have a 7 rung fixed ladder for less part count and clearly painted to know which end is which. ( Though I don't think that is a issue with the latest KSPs any more.) I have a curved 7 rung ladder that wraps around size 1 fuselage by about 2 fiths, so three will go all the way around. ( I find as long as you tap your way along, the Kerbal will follow the ladders all the way around.) Added to the Startrek door and the sub hatch I think I have enough for an update. So if there any issues with last iteration, please mention them in the next 24 hours before I put out the update.

LwOhGJn.pngO4reyB1.png6PIdpn0.pngSYev2G8.png

NOW UPDATED TO 1.2.0

Changelog 1.2.0

Added 2 sizes of half cylinder fuselage doors to go on MK1 and Rockomax size tanks. They can be finessed to almost flush. Added a Sub Hatch for that underwater feel. Added a Star Trek/Wars style door that goes well on the side of Mk3 size or buildings. Added a 7 rung solid ladder with enough ladder collider overlap that you can have 1 per Mk1 fuel tank and be able to climb all the way. The gap between looks larger than the rungs but the Kerbal will keep climbing. Added a curved 7 rung ladder that goes roughly 2 5ths around a Mk1 and 3 of them together can get the Kerbal to go all the way around if you move in short bursts.
Made changes to the Ships hatch after being informed that an error was being thrown up by 1.12.2 Removed the offending redundant module and went on to correct and rebuild the model. It is named the same but anything that already had it on a previously built craft will probably have it change orientation and the node attach has been corrected. Also now uses the Internal used by the other flat doors.

Edited by ColdJ

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.