Has anyone unintentionally been hit by space debris?

TIMEFORSPACEPEOPLE

If by space debris you mean my own craft not slowing down in time approaching my station because I came out of time warp too quickly, then yes, I've been hit by debris in a mission.

But in all seriousness, there was one time I can remember where I came into mere meters of a piece of space debris during an orbital circulation. Scared the crap out of me, and now I try to keep debris out of my parking orbit.

Hasn't happened to me yet but at one time I had so much debris orbiting Kerbin that it took me ten minutes in the tracking station to delete it all. Couldn't see any point in keeping all there since it probably is taxing on the system.

Edited by Mechanic
spelling

10 hours ago, TIMEFORSPACEPEOPLE said:

I’m very interested to hear if anyone got hit by their own space debris while on a mission or just trying to do something in space. It definitely seems impossible but I’m pretty sure its not, although a super low chance it will actually happen but still possible.

Yes I did once. A poor rocket developed a kinda slamp afterward. Sigh.

10 hours ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

One time a piece of debris got less than 2 kilometers near but it is incredibly rare since I usually delete space debris

Once a huge space station of mine in a retrograde kerbin orbit became kraken bait and exploded. A lot of debris came  within physics range really fast of my orbitally constructed duna mothership. Luckily, a duna window was coming up so i just turned prograde and hit full throttle

Answer: Yes

Long time ago when I first started playing. My first "big" space station. It got smashed by an orbiting booster stage that I failed to de-orbit... it only happened because I had switched to the station just before the debris came within the 2km range. Had I not, it would have just passed through 'on rails'.

Edited by LordFerret

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.