What’s the most “Jeb” thing you ever did in ksp?

Jeb (:cool:) is well known as being the most reckless, crazy, and all round cool guy in the program. So, what is the most ‘Jeb’ thing you ever did, in other words, what’s the craziest, dumbest or coolest thing you ever did in ksp. Basically epic things and stunts like in the replies below.

I once, while a rocket was heading towards the ground, went eva, jumped out and pulled the eva parachute, the chute opened a second before the kerbal hit the ground, he landed, rolled and eventually came to a stop and got up, it was so epic I tried it again, it took many tries, but I got a recording of my successful attempt, (albeit a horrible one ;) )

Now you’ve seen my example, I’d like to hear your most Jeb thing you did in ksp. :) 

Here's my recreation:

sorry it's zoomed out, it was my first attempt at making a video of ksp. I added some music just for fun.

Edited by Hyperspace Industries
Link in operation!

stunts? stuff i did with the rovers is probably the top. I once dove down a huge cliff on Vall and reached 120 m/s before finally losing control. What's amazing is that, thanks to an effective armor, most of the rover survived. All the crew did, and there were even enough wheels left to keep moving a bit. Or perhaps it's the time I took an eva inside jool's low atmosphere

stuff that should have killed my crew, and almost did? Probably the cake goes for landing on laythe with kerbalism at hard level. that mod puts a huge radiation belt around jool encompassing all the inner three moons, and hard level severely reduces the effectiveness of radiation shielding. I also had limited life support, due to an oversight in design. After reloading the game a dozen times, I finally managed to reach the mothership with 90% radiation damage, half a day's worth of food, and 20 m/s left of deltaV.

I’d have to say that time I sent a lander down to Dres, planted a flag then returned to the mothership above- while the mothership itself was on an escape trajectory and didn’t even slow down! Going from escape trajectory to landing in one continuous burn then lifting off and accelerating out to intercept the mothership in one revolution around Dres (not an orbit because it was either hyperbolic or suborbital for almost all of it).

Or maybe it’s another landing during one of my Kerbalism Grand Tour attempts, where I managed to capture into orbit of a moon (I think Vall? Or maybe Ike?) and then leave the orbiting stage on an eccentric orbit and do the landing, then take off again and intercept the orbital stage on the same orbit, all before I’d done a single lap around that moon (whatever it was, or maybe it was Dres, I can’t remember…).

Or possibly that time I did what everyone says you should never do in RP-1/RO, and added MOAR BOOSTERS to an existing rocket- which actually worked rather well and boosted its payload capacity considerably without having to worry about tooling up new parts or making a new design.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

In the Demo, I once had to bail Val out of a capsule after the parachute exploded during reentry.

In those days, Kerbals were Kerbals... none of these new fangled parachutes or any of this nonsense that makes things safer.  No, she waited until the speed of the falling vessel had dropped below 300m/s, and then just jumped!  Although she landed on her mouth and nose, after a few seconds she just got up, brushed off the dirt, and returned - by foot! - to the KSC.  They don't make Kerbals like that anymore!

I don't think this would work in the modern version of the game, but I've never really tried it again.  Who knows, high altitude free falling might even become the Kerbin national sport!

On 8/19/2021 at 1:38 PM, Ihavegeniusidiotduality said:

killing jeb in a catastrophic mun colission going 200 m/s bc I didn't bring enough fuel.

I can confirm this one works...

The most "Jeb" thing I ever did was probably my first (and currently only) manned Moho mission and return about a year ago. It's probably the largest rocket I've ever built, due to the fact I simply brute forced it rather than doing complex gravity assists to reduce delta v. The result of that was this:

E2q5CM7.png

And this is from LKO! I needed an even larger rocket to get it up there in the first place, rivaling the real-life Saturn V! In fact, it needed not one rocket, but two on either side. I admit I could have made this significantly less complicated but where's the fun in that?

7MOBfY5.png

Edited by DunaManiac

Tried to collect EVA science during atmospheric entry...

yFjlLXp.jpg

But it was fine.

xaPVsj3.jpg

(I can't find this at all in my mission logs... may have accidentally missed out an entire career. This was one of the moons of Otho from the Galileo planet pack.)

• 4 weeks later...

ok let's set the scene I am sending jebediah on a minmus mission for to complete several contracts (keep in mind this is early game I have basic rocket parts rcs no docking ports basic robotics etc.)the mission goes quite well until the my minmus return trajectory its's a straight up and down line. me being me says it will be fine, and goes ahead with the reentry plan I burn the rest of my stage above mun orbital height and decouple the stage the interesting thing is at this point it had enough delta v to cause me to start going back up hopefully lessening reentry. after my burn I make a quick save and go ahead with reentry and then heres when things go horribly wrong.  I have made a fatal design flaw placing the heat shield on the science junior and not on the service bay. as my craft heats up and rapidly approaches the ground I decide to start spinning as this usually helps dissipate the  heat but to no avail. my craft burns up in reentry. so how do we rescue jebediah hes on a suborbital trajectory from the quick save point and this is where I realize something he reenters the in the mountains near the desert airfield sadly the quick-save was made after last stage separation(quite stupid of me)so no using that, but his trajectory at the quick-save is directly above the ksc. at the quicksave point he has 3 hours to apogee. this is where I remember a rather interesting seemingly random piece of also seemingly useless information: a certain spacecraft (irl.) docks to the iss in around 3 hours (sorry cant remember name). heres the problem I have almost none of the required sas vectors(early game still haven't unlocked most) and no docking ports or claw and jebs trajectory is suborbital. so how do I rescue him well here the interesting thing I have robotic parts his trajectory is directly above the ksc and if I could somehow "dock" to his craft with a large secondary heatshield and another stage with more chutes well jeb could in theory be rescued and thats just what I did."docking" suborbitaly was a major challenge once I had an encounter I needed to secure his craft using robotic parts to the heat shield and extra stage I did this by creating a scaled up robotic version of the claw with alligator hinges and structural pieces the next step was to wait as entering time or physical warp would cause the two craft to phase through each other causing eventual R.U.D when I hit the atmosphere not good so I waited quite a while and reentered the science junior was destroyed but the rest of the craft survived jeb lived another day  and I learned a lesson. 

looking back I could have simply attached another command module to my wackamole rescue contraption instead of trying to reenter the whole craft.

Jumped a rover off a 200 meter cliff. 2 out of 3 crew died.

Or that time I landed a base on the side of a cliff. Fell down and got out 4 crew out of 7. Still stuck on the Munar North Pole to this day. 

And lots of stupid plane stunts.

Also put an SSTO in an SSTO.

Edited by Admiral Fluffy

Hit my peak in 2013, all downhill from there.  The mainsail was the biggest stock engine at the time.  Crazy unbalanced part mods were all the rage - almost to the point ship-sharing became impossible.  The stock parts were too small and too fragile to build anything, people said!

Built the Jaekelopterous 3 to prove it was possible to build large *without* crazy unbalanced mods.

j3.jpg

I won that bet.  Six FULL orange dranks to orbit in 2013 stock!  (I later managed eight, but the feat wasn't reproducible...)

Edited by Corona688

I was a little hasty on building a vessel to fly to the Mun and so I forgot to bring landing legs, no problem.
I landed on the Mun, did some stuff and left. I was back in re-entry and realized that I also forgot to bring parachutes.
I made my crew jump out mid-flight and parachute down to Kerbin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Coming back from a Minmus mission I ran out of juice and had to use my EVA pack to push out the remaining 500k meters Pe down to 45k.

Rode the loop a few times.

Got captured by Mun and flung back up a couple M meters (grumblegrumble)

Got back out and pushed Pe down to 35k.

Landed 20 meters off shore of the KSC by accident totally as planned!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.