Design a purpose-built plane for the Kerbal Air Force

On 8/16/2021 at 1:18 PM, HyperDraco said:

The Kerbal Air Force Rearmament Challenge

The Kerbal Airforce is in dire straits (not the band, although they are amazing). A recent strategic attack on their hangars and airfields has wiped out all of their combat-related assets, and we need YOU to design an aircraft (anything that flies, anything.) as a measure that will give us the material advantage in future combat situations.

This challenge allows mods, they are so far limited to: Airplane Plus, BDArmory, North Kerbin Dynamics, Ground Effect,  all the NFT mods,  Interstellar Fuel Switch, Aviators's Arsenal,  KerbalField, KJR, Simple Repaint, SXT, Working Under Lite, NAS, SXT,  KTech,  OPT, NMB, Interstellar Fuel Switch, Cold War Aerospace, Procedural Wings and Tweakscale (Others could be considered as well).

• DLCs are now allowed, the craft must be made in 1.11.X or later.

You may build an aircraft for any of these classes, or, a multirole aircraft that conforms to multiple:

Air Superiority Fighter: Relatively fast, more maneuverable than average, Sufficiently capable of taking down other aircraft by any means necessary. Must be equipped with a radar for air-to-air radar locking, 2 x .50 cal MG's minimum.

Interceptor: High speed, high climb rate with decent maneuverability, must be able to quickly scramble and climb to altitude to engage multiple of singular hostile targets. Must be armed with at least 4 x Air-to-Air missiles.

Naval Fighter: Same rules as an Air Superiority fighter, but must be carrier-operable and with a low stall speed.

Ground Attack Fighter: High Survivability with decent speed, must be armed with at least 4 x .50 cal MGs or two 20mms or a single 30mm, must be able to deliver targeted strikes and secondarily assist in controling the airspace. Preferably equipped with both an Air to Air and an Air to Ground radar system set. Must carry at least 2 ton of ordinances.

Bomber has multiple subclasses:

Heavy: Must be suited to high (4km+) altitude, carry at least 25 Tons of ordinances, minimum cruising speed of 100 m/s. Minimum range of at least 7,000km.

Medium: Must be suited to high altitudes, carry at least 15 Tons of ordinances, minimum cruising speed of 120 m/s. Minimum range must be at least 5,000km.

Supersonic: Must fly above 3km, at least reach Mach 1 in a straight line, at least 10 tons of ordinances. Minimum range of at least 3,000km

Light: No minimum altitude restrictions, at least 5 ton of ordinances, no more than 2 propulsion systems. Minimum range must be at least 3,000km

Naval: Must be fully carrier-based, have a low stall speed and should be able to stow away it's wings for a reduced deck footprint, at least 7 Tons of ordinances (can be Mines, Depth charges, Bombs or Torpedoes). Minimum range must be 2,000km.

Stealth: Must be stealthy and have a notable reduction in detection range, time and probability as compared to it's contemporary counterparts. Must be able to deliver at least 5 tons of ordinances. Minimum range must be 2,000km.

Reconnaissance: Must be a high altitude, kerballed or unkerballed aircraft that should be equipped with an Air-to-Ground Radar and/or a camera pod(s). Range must be at least 2,500km.

Airborne Warning System: A plane equipped with an omnidirectional Air-to-Air Radar system that is not designed for active combat, but rather for surveying remote airspace. Range must be at least 3,000km.

Naval Airborne Warning System: A naval variant of the AWS, must be carrier based and have a low stall speed (<70m/s). Range must be at least 3,000km.

Unkerballed Reconnaissance: Must be unkerballed, minimum speed must be above 60m/s, must be equipped with a targeting pod and at least 2 Air-to-ground missiles or bombs.

Military Transport Aircraft: Moderately-high survivability, must not be reliant on paved landing strips, Should be able to take off with at least 35 Tons of Cargo. Range must be at least 5,000km.

OPTIONAL: Should be able to airdrop cargo if required.

Helicopter has multiple subclasses:

Attack: Must be armed for Air-to-air and Air-to-Ground engagements with a variable ordinance layout. Must have a main gun as standard. Range must be at least 150km

Transport: Must be able to lift at least 10 Tons of cargo externally or internally. Must be able to carry armed Kerbals and deploy them under enemy fire in hostile territories. Minimum range must be 300km.

Maritime: Must be able to operate from a carrier, can be either in a Transport, Surveillance or Attack role. Minimum range must be 200km

Surveillance: Must be light, quick, and equipped with a targeting pod. Minimum range must be 250km.

-BONUS-

Flying Gunship: Must be armed with at least 2 Howitzers, conforms to a Ground Attack fighter role with appropriate concessions for speed, size and armaments.

Seaplane-Fighter: Must be able to directly take off and land on water, must conform to rules for an Air Superiority fighter with concessions for armament.

Rocket-powered Interceptor: Must be powered by a rocket motor, Minimum straight-line speed of above 300m/s. Must be armed with at least 2 x .50 Cal MGs.

Ekranoplan: A Ground Effect vehicle that flies over the surface, must be armed with either Air-to-Air or Surface-to-Air Missiles or carry at least 5 Tonnes of cargo with a range of 4,000 Kilometers.

More TBA.

Award:

WL96gSI.png

Those whose aircraft have been selected shall get to wear this badge I whipped up in all of 2 minutes, I'll beautify and make it a proper badge later, sorry.

Enjoy, and I'll be waiting to see what this community can whip up!

Here u go: https://imgur.com/a/zP3prnd . I call it the Kuka (Stuka). Although it's real variant is not, this is a naval fighter with a low stall speed, tail hook, rear gunner, two bombs, and two frontal machine guns. Mods used are airplaneplus and bdarmory. That is all (apart from scatterer from the photo)

Edited by Singhnaut

16 hours ago, Singhnaut said:

Here u go: https://imgur.com/a/zP3prnd . I call it the Kuka (Stuka). Although it's real variant is not, this is a naval fighter with a low stall speed, tail hook, rear gunner, two bombs, and two frontal machine guns. Mods used are airplaneplus and bdarmory. That is all (apart from scatterer from the photo)

Can I have a craft file?

On 10/2/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jeb_Needs_A_Parachute said:

@HyperDraco, any timeline? Otherwise I can make another plane. 

I have reached a verdict.

The KAF would like to discuss the purchase of 50 Excalibur Fighters.

The plane performed admirably in combat, and especially in the Ground Attack and Interceptor role with its suspended armaments, twin Vulcan cannons and Missile loadout.

The dogfight did end in it's loss although it was mainly due to the fact that the Wraith II GDM may have flipped over in mid air and locked and fired a missile.

Screenshot-643

Screenshot-632

Screenshot-634

Screenshot-637

Screenshot-639

Screenshot-640

Well done on your submission sorry for the late response and you may wear the badge.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:04 AM, Bej Kerman said:

Mark my words, circumnavigating Kerbin 2+ times in a plane built to bomb ain't happening here least Stratz, Brad Whistance and the other KSP stunt artists show up, lol. "based on ranges of real-life planes" explains a lot.

Kerbal is on a smaller scale, as the distance should be!

1 hour ago, Singhnaut said:

@HyperDraco how are the tests going? btw I am modifying my 'Kraken Defyer Plane' for a naval recon capability

and a stealth boi. a three-in-one:)

Going well, I'm trying to nail the procedure for the Dive so I can use it like a real Stuka.

Edited by HyperDraco

16 hours ago, HyperDraco said:

Going well, I'm trying to nail the procedure for the Dive so I can use it like a real Stuka.

awesome!

oh btw I don't really know how to work the radar. If it doesn't have one built in, can you do me the favor of adding it by yourself? Thanks

18 hours ago, Singhnaut said:

awesome!

oh btw I don't really know how to work the radar. If it doesn't have one built in, can you do me the favor of adding it by yourself? Thanks

Will do.

Notice to all entrants.

I may or may not have crashed KSP, BSOD'd my PC and corrupted the entire game.
All tests will be postponed until I reinstall KSP and get it working again.

1 hour ago, chadgaskerman said:

Might be worth distinguishing between light fighters and heavy fighters, I'm not sure my light naval fighter will be able to go up against my air superiority fighter

I had to redo design my wings for my air superiority fighter but its getting there

Edited by obnox twin

screenshot81.png

I finally have finished up my entire, a light weight, highly maneuverable interceptor known as the SA-5A Kestrel. It is armed with 8x missiles (6x heat seeking and 2x radar), 1x 30mm cannon, and 1x .05 cal. turret. With some minor weapons loadout changes it also can sever in a ground attack role. Let me know what you think.

Craft file and more images: KerbalX - SA-5A Kestrel   

Edited by Sivako Aerospace

3 hours ago, Sivako Aerospace said:

screenshot81.png

I finally have finished up my entire, a light weight, highly maneuverable interceptor known as the SA-5A Kestrel. It is armed with 8x missiles (6x heat seeking and 2x radar), 1x 30mm cannon, and 1x .05 cal. turret. With some minor weapons loadout changes it also can sever in a ground attack role. Let me know what you think.

Craft file and more images: KerbalX - SA-5A Kestrel   

To let you know the guy running this postponned tests until he can run KSP again so he will take awhile to get things tested

15 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

I don't understand how this can be done without mods. The only weapons in stock KSP are the firework launchers, and those don't work with the challenge.

You're supposed to use the BDa Family of mod among others, it's all covered in the first post

20 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

Have you tried verifying the integrity before launching? 

Yep, and I got good news and bad news:\

Good news is: IT BOOTS INTO KSP!

Bad news is:

My kerbals are all black/missing textures. only their eyes show up like some demonic creature.

The sky... it doesn't exist.

The KSC may or may not be underground.

Let's try it again.

Edited by HyperDraco

UPDATE TO ALL PARTICIPANTS

The challenge has resumed, testing is underway.

This image taken from one of my devices was what happened to my game. (You could see the Mün on the edge but it didn't fit in frame)20211026-165107.jpg

Edited by HyperDraco

My current project;

The Wyvern F.3
8Z9sMI7.png

A light Carrier-Borne air superiority fighter and interceptor featuring 3 meteor AAMs, 6 AIM-9 Sidewinders and 2 Gsh-30-1 30mm autocannons with 600 rounds each. The Wyvern also features a targeting pod, full countermeasures suite and an AN/APG 63 Radome. Although propeller powered I've found the difference in speed to be negligible in a dogfight and the climb speed being comparable to 4th generation fighter jets.
https://kerbalx.com/chadgaskerman/Wyvern-F3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.