Design a purpose-built plane for the Kerbal Air Force

As I am taking up the mantle of running this challenge, I suppose it would be best to start with clearing the backlog of submissions.

To begin with, @obnox twin's MiV - 49 MK2.

In tests against the Wyvern F.3, the MiV - 49 exhibited incredible acceleration in a straight line, however the overall agility of the aircraft leaves something to be desired - all test duels lead to a stalemate.

The unique 3 engine design provides the MiV - 49 a substantial performance increase over it's contemporaries in terms of rate of climb. In concert with this, the MiV - 49's heavy payload of medium range air to air missiles suit it perfectly for taking down multiple aircraft in a single sortie. Furthermore, the large fuel capacity gives the aircraft a reasonably long time to loiter over a targeted area, especially when fuel conservation techniques are used. This plane performs the best in an area-defense interceptor role, being able to interdict enemy air incursions.

25 orders will be placed for the initial MK2 iteration.

Interest would be taken in a long range strike variant.

First of all I would like to thank the original author of this thread and let him know that all the members of this community support him and accompany him in whatever he needs.

Spartan Industries would like to introduce the new FE-20E interceptor, the bomber hunter, extremely maneuverable and with a maximum speed and altitude that no bomber could ever escape.

You can sleep soundly knowing that the FE-20E will not allow any bomber, no matter how fast or high it flies, to ever attack your cities.

The FE-20E is armed with 12 air-to-air missiles and a Vulcan cannon.

During take-off, care must be taken as it is possible to hit the tail if the pilot rotates too fast.

Here are some pictures and the aircraft data sheet

imgur.com/a/vuGaJRY

General characteristics

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 17.3 m
  • Wingspan: 12.8 m
  • Height: 4.1 m
  • Weight: 31.6 t
  • Powerplant: 2 x J-X4 Turbo Ramjet Engine

Performance

• Maximum speed: Mach 4.75 1.400 m/s at 13,000 meters
  • Range: 1,157 km
  • Service ceiling: 20,000 meters

Armament

• Guns: 1 × Vulcan
  • Missiles: 
    • Air-to-air missiles:
      • 6 × AIM-9 Sidewinder
      • 6 × AIM-120 AMRAAM
  • Others:
    • Flares/Infrared decoys dispenser pod and chaff pod
    • 2 x AN/ALQ-131  pods

Avionics

• AN/APG-63 radar

kerbalx.com/espartanlast/FE-20E

Edited by espartanlast1

20 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

As I am taking up the mantle of running this challenge, I suppose it would be best to start with clearing the backlog of submissions.

To begin with, @obnox twin's MiV - 49 MK2.

In tests against the Wyvern F.3, the MiV - 49 exhibited incredible acceleration in a straight line, however the overall agility of the aircraft leaves something to be desired - all test duels lead to a stalemate.

The unique 3 engine design provides the MiV - 49 a substantial performance increase over it's contemporaries in terms of rate of climb. In concert with this, the MiV - 49's heavy payload of medium range air to air missiles suit it perfectly for taking down multiple aircraft in a single sortie. Furthermore, the large fuel capacity gives the aircraft a reasonably long time to loiter over a targeted area, especially when fuel conservation techniques are used. This plane performs the best in an area-defense interceptor role, being able to interdict enemy air incursions.

25 orders will be placed for the initial MK2 iteration.

Interest would be taken in a long range strike variant.

I'll see what I can do for a long strike variant but I need to re install some mods tho.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 4 submissions for the challenge.

First, KAAB Anka. It's a normal air superiority fighter with a delta wing and a healthy amount of air-to-air missiles.

https://kerbalx.com/bulkamak/kaab-anka-mk1-air

Second, KAAB Fishbed. It might or might not have been inspired by MiG 21 from Human Space Program. The trick is it's VTOL. Start the main engine with 1 and the VTOL engines with 2. It kinda lacks wing area so it's not as good as Anka in normal air combat, but it can also serve as a helicopter (it has air-to-ground armament).

https://kerbalx.com/bulkamak/kaab-fishbed-vtol-mk1-universal

Now to more effective but less orthodox designs.

KAAB Laser. From the name you can tell what's going on, and yes, it has lasers. To accommodate for two lasers that cover both hemispheres it was given two engines. It's not as maneuverable as Anka, but it kind of doesn't need to be - it has a 5km death sphere that no aircraft survives for long in. It doesn't have Sidewinders because lasers cover plenty of distance, and thus it can carry some air-to-ground armament too.

https://kerbalx.com/bulkamak/kaab-laser-universal

And finally, KAAB Hummingbird. If you look at it, it looks strange - it has weird wings, weird rudders, weird everything, it almost looks like a boat. It was all on purpose though. It you look at the RCS calculator you will see an average cross-section of 3m^2 - it means that the normal air-to-air radome only detects it at about 2700m, which is already basically gun range. It doesn't have many AMRAAMS and instead opts for Sidewinders for close air combat. Don't forget to extend landing gear when taking off!

https://kerbalx.com/bulkamak/kaab-hummingbird-air

4 craft and 1 bonus craft

f-23 "Hacker" you're all around air superiority fighter inspired by the F-35

KerbalX - F-23 "Hacker"

Ga-33 your full ground attack fighter with a good amount of air to air weapons as well

KerbalX - GA-33 "ugly boar"

I-105 lance designed as a bomber interceptor this can also intercept fighters but its main purpose is to intercept bombers however you can change its loadout for fighters

KerbalX - I-105 "Lance"

Sukhoi Su-35 Flanker-E I couldn't think of a name for my naval fighter so I named it the SU 33 but keep in mind I made it with aircraft carrier accessories to test if it could really land on a carrier so keep that in mind when downloading

KerbalX - Sukhoi Su-35 Flanker-E

Bonus:AQC-01 Damocles a large part count drone carrier designed to be the spear of an attack with the drones being able to act as fighters or ground attack  aircraft and missiles please forgive any lag it may cause

KerbalX - AQC-01 Damocles

P.S I couldn't get the image links to work so here's an image album with all the craft Imgur: The magic of the Internet

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.