[1.12.x] Alarm Enhancements 1.0.2 (26/08/2021) - Automatic Alarms and Better Naming of Alarms

severedsolo

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

That change would probably have to be done within TWP.  It's all rather academic at the moment anyway as I understand TWP doesn't work in 1.12, but as I understand it TWP adds the alarm to KAC, so it would be up to TWP to update itself to add to the Stock Alarm Clock instead.

TWP hasn't been updated in a while (the forum thread is marked as 1.7.x), but it still seems to work OK in 1.12.2. I suppose I should go and ask there instead, but I'm not holding out much hope for an update to that mod at this point. 

I use science labs a lot, so would it be possible to add a function to this mod that either automatically or manually sets an alarm based on when the science lab is going to be full of science?

KAC had this functionality, and I'm dearly missing it in my current KSP save file.

It would be nice to be able to choose which science lab on the currently focused vessel is being used to create the alarm as well, but you might be able to skip that if it just chooses whichever one is closest to being full of science (and by that I mean the one that will be full first based on how much data is in the lab and how many scientists are in the lab working, not just the one that "right now" has the most science in it).

Hi, I really like this mod ! For me, it was the missing piece to switch my install from KAC over to the stock alarm system.

There are things I'm not really sure about though : in the settings, the sliders' tooltip says it will not automatically add an alarm for an event happening before this many seconds. At least, that's how I interpret it. However, It doesn't appear to be always the case; with all sliders set to 600 :

• the SOI alarm is placed 600 seconds before SOI change; expected to still be at exact time.
  • the SOI alarm is impossible to delete under any circumstances; expected to be able to delete it if less than 600 seconds away from it.
  • a maneuver alarm will be added, even if the event is less than 600 seconds away, however it will not be re-added if deleted by the user; expected it not to be created in the first place.
  • a maneuver alarm will be set in the past if a maneuver is created less than 1 minute + burn time away, causing the alarm to trigger instantly; this is especially noticeable when using an autopilot like Mechjeb;  expected it not to be created.

It would be could if could clarify what is intended and what is not, but I'm not complaining, your mod is already much appreciated :)

2 hours ago, vinix said:

the SOI alarm is placed 600 seconds before SOI change; expected to still be at exact time.

Expected behaviour - although I agree the tooltip could be worded a bit better (or possibly split into two tooltips). The margin is both the margin before the event, and the margin within which an alarm won't be set (to stop it from triggering alarms straight away when within the margin - as per your Maneuver node report below).

2 hours ago, vinix said:

the SOI alarm is impossible to delete under any circumstances; expected to be able to delete it if less than 600 seconds away from it.

That's definitely a bug, it should be respecting it if you are within the margin.

2 hours ago, vinix said:
  • a maneuver alarm will be added, even if the event is less than 600 seconds away, however it will not be re-added if deleted by the user; expected it not to be created in the first place.
  • a maneuver alarm will be set in the past if a maneuver is created less than 1 minute + burn time away, causing the alarm to trigger instantly; this is especially noticeable when using an autopilot like Mechjeb;  expected it not to be created.

These two are really the same issue, just coming at it from different ends - but definitely a bug.

Thank you for the reports - raised #5

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

A pass-though so that mods trying to add a timer to 'Kerbal Alarm Clock' will be added to the stock alarm instead. Yes, it would be better if those mods are just updated properly, but imma ask anyway.

This is a great request, the only problem is, that you would need to have KAC installed anyway. (Any mod worth it's salt should be checking for KAC before trying to add an alarm). If that's acceptable, I definitely would add this.

28 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

you would need to have KAC installed anyway. (Any mod worth it's salt should be checking for KAC before trying to add an alarm). If that's acceptable, I definitely would add this.

I donno.  I do wonder how much KAC you'd need to have installed to trick other mods into cooperation.
I can't really speak for others preference.

An alternative would be for somebody to pick up KAC again and give it the same 'replace stock button' as 'Alternate Resource Panel'.

I do have another feature request: contract details on the alarm clock.

16 minutes ago, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

I donno.  I do wonder how much KAC you'd need to have installed to trick other mods into cooperation.

Assuming they use the KAC API then there is a reflection check to make sure the KAC assembly is there.

Now, in theory I could make a dummy dll that would forward calls to SAC, and trick those mods into thinking KAC is installed, but that's... problematic because I'd essentially have to implement KAC's API. That also doesn't solve the issue of what happens if they make an API call that AlarmEnhancements/SAC doesn't support? It causes more problems than it solves.

To put it another way: If I start tricking mods into thinking KAC is installed, those mods are going to behave as if KAC is installed. If they can't do what they want, that will break those mods.

Edited by severedsolo

Bug report/feature request:

When I manually rename a maneuver node alarm, don't rename it back to the craft name, and give to option to unlink the alarm from the node, so if the node is deleted, the alarm can stay. I like to use Maneuver node to get an estimate on the time to switch back to do something that isn't an actual maneuver.

Yes, I can turn off the auto-rename, but I actually like that on most of the time, just not when I need a little bit more info on the name tag.

Edited by The-Grim-Sleeper

Quick clarification question - what are the configurable action values? For example in the configuration, "SOI Alarm Action: 1" -- I'm assuming "1" means "warp goes to zero and display notification". What are the other possible values?

For me I'm thinking "pause" rather than "drop out of warp" might work better, because I do a lot with MechJeb, and what happens often is that since MJ is executing the node, the alarm will drop the warp to 1x but then MJ will immediately ramp it back up again. Not a huge problem, but they are definitely having a little tiff. :)

11 minutes ago, chd said:

Quick clarification question - what are the configurable action values? For example in the configuration, "SOI Alarm Action: 1" -- I'm assuming "1" means "warp goes to zero and display notification". What are the other possible values?

If you mouse over, the tooltip should tell you. Off the top of my head I think its, 0 = Do Nothing. 1 = Kill Warp, 2 = Pause Game

55 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

If you mouse over, the tooltip should tell you. Off the top of my head I think its, 0 = Do Nothing. 1 = Kill Warp, 2 = Pause Game

Thanks! Sorry, my bad, I was flipping through windows too fast to catch the mouseover...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This generates exceptions when playing the tutorials:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
   at AlarmEnhancements.AlarmEnhancements.RemoveSOIAlarm (Vessel v) [0x00006] in <be4cd0a5471548ffa87d69faba574396>:0 
   at AlarmEnhancements.AlarmEnhancements.CheckForSoiChanges () [0x00043] in <be4cd0a5471548ffa87d69faba574396>:0 
   at AlarmEnhancements.AlarmEnhancements.RunCoroutine () [0x00044] in <be4cd0a5471548ffa87d69faba574396>:0 

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to disable the pop-up before a maneuver alarm by default (at least for the active vessel), or set it to go off closer to the alarm itself? I see in the difficulty settings I can tune it down to 30 seconds before I need to burn, but I'd rather be able to tune it down to 3 seconds ahead of burn. Also, in general, if it's the active vehicle then I don't need the popup. I know I can open up the alarm listing, go into the specific alarm's settings, change the margin and behavior, save, and close the alarm window...but I'd like to be able to set up a default configuration so I don't have to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Either the maneuver alarm margin doesn't work or I don't understand it. I admit the possibility of the latter. It's fairly common for me to create a maneuver (using McJeb) to happen right now (in McJeb maneuver planner terminology "after a fixed time of 0 seconds"). As soon as I create the maneuver, this mod pops up an alarm warning me about it. Every time. Sort of annoying as the alarm pops up right in the way of telling McJeb to execute the maneuver. Yes, its pretty minor as annoyances go, but I thought that's exactly the sort of thing the alarm margin was for. Since I'm right in the middle of creating the alarm, I already have a pretty good idea that it's comming up... and indeed here.

2 hours ago, rmaine said:

Either the maneuver alarm margin doesn't work or I don't understand it. I admit the possibility of the latter. It's fairly common for me to create a maneuver (using McJeb) to happen right now (in McJeb maneuver planner terminology "after a fixed time of 0 seconds"). As soon as I create the maneuver, this mod pops up an alarm warning me about it. Every time. Sort of annoying as the alarm pops up right in the way of telling McJeb to execute the maneuver. Yes, its pretty minor as annoyances go, but I thought that's exactly the sort of thing the alarm margin was for. Since I'm right in the middle of creating the alarm, I already have a pretty good idea that it's comming up... and indeed here.

The alarm margin is the amount of time the alarm will sound AHEAD of the maneuver node.  The period can be changed under Specifics tab > Maneuver Node Alarms (alarm type).  In the same place, there's an option (Don't add alarms if the MN is closer than...) which  prevents KAC creating alarms if the MN, on creation, is sooner than a defined period (default is 3 mins, IIRC).

10 hours ago, Brigadier said:

The alarm margin is the amount of time the alarm will sound AHEAD of the maneuver node.  The period can be changed under Specifics tab > Maneuver Node Alarms (alarm type).  In the same place, there's an option (Don't add alarms if the MN is closer than...) which  prevents KAC creating alarms if the MN, on creation, is sooner than a defined period (default is 3 mins, IIRC).

I'm not sure where to find this specifics tab you refer to. Possibly somewhere related to KAC since you mention KAC? I'm not using KAC at all these days, and the descriptiom of this mod (Alarm Enhancements) specificaly mentions that its purpose is "adds some functionality which the Stock Alarm Clock lacks but was present in KAC" so I don't see that I should need or be looking at KAC. I don't see any tab or setting like that in the stock alarm clock. Where I'm looking is Settings/Difficulty Options/Alarm Enhancements, which has an option named "Maneuver Alarm Margin", which defaults to 60 seconds. (I tried tweaking it to 65 seconds just to see if it needed a tweak to make it get noticed). The mouse-over description of it says "Don't set auto alarm if within this many seconds of the event." That sure sounds exactly like what I was wanting and 0 seconds ahead is less than 60 or 65 seconds ahead.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It might be an interaction with another mod I'm running, but I'm seeing the same weird behavior Apricot reported back on page 1: this mod is causing very noticeable stutter precisely once per second for me.  Oddly enough, so far it only happens while leaving Minmus SOI, and it slowly gets less severe the further outside Minmus' SOI a vessel gets. XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.