Can't make sense out of contract reward amounts

Hi all, tried to start a game that focuses on a business efficiency approach (cost effectiveness) so lowered contract rewards to 20%.  Anyway, I had 11000 which I used to build a rocket to escape the atmosphere (6000 of this came from a contract advance I think).   I completed the escape the atmosphere mission (which was set to pay me somewhere around 3000 upon completion, this was the only contract I had active) and managed I to recover 6000 worth of rocket parts upon completion.  

By my calculation, I should have had 6000 + 3000 = 9000 credits after that ( I know that's a loss I'm still busy playing with the settings).  But instead, after mission completion my credits were on 43000!!!!

What gives?

@devblazer Facility upgrade costs are controlled by the “funds penalties” setting in the difficulty options, increasing that to e.g. 200% makes them cost twice as much.

The world first payouts can give you a significant amount of money for doing new things, but if you don’t want it, just get rid of the money using the cheats menu. You could also turn on unlock parts in the difficulty settings so you have to research tech nodes with science and then buy individual parts before you can put them on a craft (I think this is to simulate tooling the manufacturing processes, buying blueprints etc.) which adds to the cost of progressing through the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.