Hauling Large Useless Parts Into Space?

So I am playing through career mode and I keep getting these missions that ask me to do things like "Test RE-L10 "Poodle" Liquid Fuel Engine on an escape trajectory out of Kerbin" and "Haul BACC Thumper into Mun Orbit" etc. Problem is, these parts are big and heavy, with much wider diameter than most of my engines (I am still early stage in career mode) and the large sizes of these parts make them cumbersome to pull up into orbit. Often times, their size makes my ships top-heavy and messes with the aerodynamics and stuff and I can barely keep them stable even with upgraded fins and rcs thrusters.

I have tried just about every combination of engines and fuel tank parts to pull these things into orbit with no such luck. Is there something I am doing on? Should I be skipping these missions until I have upgraded better parts? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You could continue to try those missions if you want the challenge, but there's the question of whether the contract would pay more than the cost to you of getting the thing up there, especially since you are unlikely to get any salvage rebate from something expended on an escape trajectory. I'd suggest just leaving that kind of mission for later. 

I think when contracts were first introduced in KSP they used the term ‘Fine Print’.  As in you need to read the fine print before accepting the contracts.

Some of the contracts are intentionally very challenging.  When you are early in the tech-tree it is a good idea to pass on contracts that you are going to have severe difficulties with.  I certainly do.

Look at the part and where the contract wants you to take it: a solid booster or a powerful launch engine isn’t much use in space so don’t take those contracts if it wants the part to go beyond Kerbin’s SOI; in contrast the Poodle, while quite large and heavy, is the best (non-DLC) bipropellant engine in the game as well as producing over four times the thrust of the Terrier, so taking that further afield isn’t too difficult.

Then think about what else you could use the part for- a powerful solid rocket (e.g. Thumper) or booster engine (e.g. Mainsail) could be very useful if you used it regularly, giving your launch rockets more payload capacity depending on the part/weight limits you’re working with. Early access to something like the Poodle could make sending larger missions to other planets easier when the Terrier alone wouldn’t be enough.

And finally, check the tech tree- is the part in a tech node you’ll unlock soon? Would being able to access it earlier make things easier for you in the short term so that you could complete the contract later on? If the part is in an expensive tech node or one locked behind an R&D upgrade, consider taking the contract even if the conditions are a bit weird (Thumper to the Mun or Minmus, for example) as getting access to that part we’ll ahead of time is more valuable than the contract itself. A single Thumper can be a potent first stage for a small-ish and cheap-ish launch rocket, for example, even if throwing one out of Kerbin’s SOI seems like a tall order- and besides, nobody said that Thumper had to have any fuel in it while on that escape trajectory ;).

8 hours ago, Reactordrone said:

It's worth noting that the parts don't need to work for the test so you can use the solid motor earlier in the mission and drag the empty case to the Mun, reset it in the staging sequence and you're good to go.

Can also empty the fuel contents of the booster in the VAB by right-click menus (but then again using the extra thrust if possible is certainly useful)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.