Transfer data/store data? Is the science is lost forever if I transfer data with the transfer bandwidth less than 100%? How do I store all the data?

Transfer data/store data? Is the science is lost forever if I transfer data with the transfer bandwidth less than 100%? How do I store all the data?

Can someone please explain to me how the science transferring works?
If I have bad bandwidth/connection quality below 100% does it mean that if I transfer this particular data from this particular biome I will lose science points forever? So it is possible (if transferring data, not collecting it), to break the science/career mode and don't get enough science points to open up all available technologies, so I won't be able to use all technologies? Did I get it right?
Or does mean that if you have a probe with 50% science transferring efficiency I will need two of these probes to get all available science points:?
Is it ever a wise decision to transfer science with an efficiency below 100%, except in cases when you desperately need a few points to research something important to you?

The second part of my big question - how does the manual data work?
Does the command module have unlimited data capacity, so you can check and store an unlimited amount of biomes of crew reports?
Is it true for EVA reports? So I do an EVA report, go back to the command module, and can make another EVA report?

What about scientific instruments such as mysterious goo, thermometers?
Can I use them several times in one mission? Or are they one-time use only?

Each test you can run has a maximum amount of science it can yield from that location. How much science you actually get for running it depends on factors such as the transmit penalty, but that only reduces how much science you get for THIS experiment run. That is subtracted from the original total and additional runs of the same experiment can get more of it, up to the maximum. 

A capsule can hold an unlimited number of types of data, but only one of each type. One crew report, one EVA report, etc. There are a couple of dedicated science storage devices which have unlimited storage, but they are not capsules. 

Most experiments can be run more than once just by clicking on it again, but the goo pod and materials bay can only be run once each, unless you have a scientist or lab module on the same ship to do a reset between runs. 

Meanwhile, your question has been moved to the Gameplay Questions sub. 

4 hours ago, glorsh66 said:

Can someone please explain to me how the science transferring works?
If I have bad bandwidth/connection quality below 100% does it mean that if I transfer this particular data from this particular biome I will lose science points forever? So it is possible (if transferring data, not collecting it), to break the science/career mode and don't get enough science points to open up all available technologies, so I won't be able to use all technologies? Did I get it right?
Or does mean that if you have a probe with 50% science transferring efficiency I will need two of these probes to get all available science points:?
Is it ever a wise decision to transfer science with an efficiency below 100%, except in cases when you desperately need a few points to research something important to you?

You can transfer science regardless of the comm signal, as long as you are connected. If it shows that you won't get the full science from transmitting it, you can run the experiment again for full points.

The second part of my big question - how does the manual data work?
Does the command module have unlimited data capacity, so you can check and store an unlimited amount of biomes of crew reports?
Is it true for EVA reports? So I do an EVA report, go back to the command module, and can make another EVA report?

Command pods have unlimited science capacity. However, each command pod and kerbal can only take one crew/EVA report at a time. However, the EVA report resets if you put the data inside a command pod, and crew reports reset if you use an EVA kerbal to take the data and put it back in.

What about scientific instruments such as mysterious goo, thermometers?
Can I use them several times in one mission? Or are they one-time use only?

All science experiments are unlimited use except mystery goo and the Science Jr., which are one time use. However, you can use a science lab or EVA scientist kerbal to reset these experiments and use them again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.