Stamp-o-tron Ground Anchor, what inventive uses have you found?

tg626

So far, I locked down a lander by sticking a clamp-o-tron Jr to one, and then using my kerbal to shove the lander over it, then retracting the legs.  

I was VERY sad when I found out you can't run struts from a lander to a stamp-o-tron. 

So I'm having a hard time figuring what good they are. You can build on them of course, but that's limited... 

6 hours ago, tg626 said:

You can build on them of course, but that's limited... 

I found that the best way to build a base on top of a ground anchor is just attach a docking port to it and dock your base modules there. It keeps the base stuck to the ground and allows you to build a lot bigger than you otherwise could with EVA construction alone.

The anchor is also great in combination with KAS parts, I had a propellant storage rover on the Mun that had somehow flipped over and was sliding down a hill so I put down a ground anchor and ran a cable brace to the rover.

I'm currently observing them to see if they are more or less kraken proof than the KAS and USI mod versions.  If they hold up I've got a few plans for ISRU craft that could take advantage of them. They also work quite well for either building a rover from scratch or anchoring one for a repair mission.

KoS

I find the docking port approach to be a serious PITA for anchoring bases (just as it is for assembling larger bases) because lining everything up is such a hassle. So far the approach that seems the most workable to me is to use the extendible crew tube that comes with Stockalike Station Parts (I think?) -- it's essentially an extendible klaw that looks like a jetway, and you can use it to hook parts together with much more flexibility. You still have to be pretty close, but you don't have to align nearly as closely.

So with that, just build a pillar on top of a ground anchor, then extend the crew tube to it, and you're anchored.

Stock game -- not convinced they're worth the trouble, but maybe.

4 hours ago, chd said:

So with that, just build a pillar on top of a ground anchor, then extend the crew tube to it, and you're anchored.

Good idea. Put a tower, maybe with a branch that your engineer adjusts and use the claw to attach.

Stock solution.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GSgxLkJ.png

I had to text edit the stamp o tron underwater, but I used it here to anchor an offshore mining rig to the seafloor, where I could mine.

diNhEFn.png

BeGpvQQ.png

But...  it's not practical to mine very far from shore. Especially with part pressure limits on.

Don't think that it will allow me to have a fueling base in the middle of the ocean (Kerbin or laythe or eve)

On 4/29/2022 at 8:43 PM, KerikBalm said:

Don't think that it will allow me to have a fueling base in the middle of the ocean (Kerbin or laythe or eve)

Teak the config so it anchors to water urface ;D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.