Beyond Space 1999

ColdJ

I improved and brought up to date the 2 previous mods so I would have to google it myself. That pick shows it with the heavy lift engines attached and the open cargo platform, it is all mix and match so it doesn't represent any particular episode.

@chaos113

Edited by ColdJ

13 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I improved and brought up to date the 2 previous mods so I would have to google it myself. That pick shows it with the heavy lift engines attached and the open cargo platform, it is all mix and match so it doesn't represent any particular episode.

@chaos113

is the heavy lift gear actually in the show

21 minutes ago, chaos113 said:

is the heavy lift gear actually in the show

I tried googling it and couldn't see it. It came from the StinkyAce mod, so it might have been a fan fantasy part. Without getting and watching the series to be sure, I am going to guess no for now.

Hey ColdJ,

Thanks for your work on this mod... I love the EAGLES ("Welcome to the Hotel California"... Sorry... ) But I do have an actual issue.

In my Log file I'm finding the following entry:

Partloader: Part Beyond1999/servicepods/orep/oreref/oreprocess has no database record. creating

drag cubes not found - generating new drag cubes.

ModuleAnimateGeneric: Could not find animation component - on part OreProcess(Clone) drag Rendering Clone Failed to load! Check the model file

Not sure if this is an issue or not but I was searching out a different issue and found these for the 1999 part.

5 hours ago, Xtra said:

Hey ColdJ,

Thanks for your work on this mod... I love the EAGLES ("Welcome to the Hotel California"... Sorry... ) But I do have an actual issue.

In my Log file I'm finding the following entry:

Partloader: Part Beyond1999/servicepods/orep/oreref/oreprocess has no database record. creating

drag cubes not found - generating new drag cubes.

ModuleAnimateGeneric: Could not find animation component - on part OreProcess(Clone) drag Rendering Clone Failed to load! Check the model file

Not sure if this is an issue or not but I was searching out a different issue and found these for the 1999 part.

Hi, I was alot more ignorant when I adapted and updated the other 2 mods into this, one, I hadn't started 3d Modeling yet and everything was adjusted by config file. The ModuleAnimateGeneric was left over from the older mods and apparently it was set up for an animation that was not included in the model. I just went and checked it and it definitely doesn't have the animation it references. As for the other bit, I am not well versed but that should happen the first time it is loaded and then any load after that the Drag Cube should be in KSP's Part Database config file. If it is happening on every load of KSP then you probably have a deeper problem that is causing the database entry to be removed. That is above my skill set, I am afraid. I will ask a friend who is more knowledgeable if they know what it means.

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Hi, I was alot more ignorant when I adapted and updated the other 2 mods into this, one, I hadn't started 3d Modeling yet and everything was adjusted by config file. The ModuleAnimateGeneric was left over from the older mods and apparently it was set up for an animation that was not included in the model. I just went and checked it and it definitely doesn't have the animation it references. As for the other bit, I am not well versed but that should happen the first time it is loaded and then any load after that the Drag Cube should be in KSP's Part Database config file. If it is happening on every load of KSP then you probably have a deeper problem that is causing the database entry to be removed. That is above my skill set, I am afraid. I will ask a friend who is more knowledgeable if they know what it means.

can always vampire the DRAG_CUBE from the game files (that is once you load the game with the parts present)

1. Install the Mod with the parts
  2. Start the Game
  3. Close the game once you have gotten to the KSC
  4. Using your favorite text editor - open up <KSP_ROOT>PartDatabase.cfg (KSP autogenerates this file)
  5. search for the part (example below)
  6. copy DRAG_CUBE {...}
  7. paste into part file, exactly as it appears from DRAG_CUBE { ... }
  8. I usually paste it right above the last closing brace }

PART
{
    url = GoodspeedAerospace/Parts/Command/dockingSmartSr/goodspeedSmartDockingPortSr
    DRAG_CUBE
    {
        cube = Default, 0.9697,0.715,1.345, 0.9697,0.7152,1.345, 4.943,0.9649,0.3641, 4.943,0.9659,0.3114, 0.9668,0.7126,1.436, 0.9668,0.7164,1.37, 0,0.08647,0.0369, 2.5,0.4108,2.617
    }
}

@Xtra The following is a quote from the fantastic @Lisias and above is info from the Stupendous @zer0Kerbal

If it happened the first time you installed then all is fine, if it is happening all the time then you have a deeper problem that I don't know how to fix.

There's a file called PartDatabase.cfg on your KSP's root. It's where all the parts' information are consolidated for easy access.

After loading the Textures and  Models, KSP starts to read and "compile" the parts from the config files. When a new part not present on that database file is fount, this message is printed on the log.

Delete the PartDatabase.cfg and then fire up KSP - you will see this message for every part found. Then quit KSP and fire it up again, and you will note that no issue of that log will be found. ;)

About the drag cubes, it's the same. KSP doesn't measures drag precisely, it uses on inaccurate approximation that it's good enough for the game purposes. This approximation is the drag-cube, literally a cube used to measure how much drag a part will cause - I do not really know how it is calculated, I just take this for granted, but if you go check that PartDatabase.cfg file you will get a long list of things like:

PART
{
        url = AirplanePlus/Parts/Aero/bigwing/part/bigwing
        DRAG_CUBE
        {
                cube = Default, 1.247,0.9107,1.43, 1.247,0.1293,11.17, 3.729,0.5781,0.8552, 3.729,0.3346,1.992, 21.76,0.9629,0.4668, 21.76,0.9634,0.4668, -5.467,-0.182,-2.858E-07, 11.2,2.366,0.7374
        }
}

And there it's your drag cubes. ;)

Some parts specify it's own drag cubes "manually", see the ./Squad/Parts/Aero/miniIntake/SmallIntake.cfg (took from KSP 1.4.3 as I using it to do some research now):

PART
{
	name = miniIntake
	module = Part
	author = Porkjet

<yada yada yada>

tags = #autoLOC_500198 //#autoLOC_500198 = aero (air aircraft breathe fligh inlet jet oxygen plane subsonic suck
	DRAG_CUBE
	{
		cube = Default, 0.1813352,0.6919296,0.4108824, 0.1813352,0.6919321,0.4108824, 0.3032565,0.4,0.3950377, 0.3032565,0.942507,0.1303004, 0.1813352,0.6928801,0.4108824, 0.1813352,0.6909673,0.4108824, 0,0.1324531,-2.368446E-08, 0.625,0.3274064,0.6250001
	}

See? You can specify yourself the drag cube (if you know how to do it :sticktongue:), or you can trust KSP to calculate it for you. When KSP does it, it prints that message about drag cubes on the KSP.log.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, ColdJ said:

@Xtra The following is a quote from the fantastic @Lisias and above is info from the Stupendous @zer0Kerbal

If it happened the first time you installed then all is fine, if it is happening all the time then you have a deeper problem that I don't know how to fix.

There's a file called PartDatabase.cfg on your KSP's root. It's where all the parts' information are consolidated for easy access.

After loading the Textures and  Models, KSP starts to read and "compile" the parts from the config files. When a new part not present on that database file is fount, this message is printed on the log.

Delete the PartDatabase.cfg and then fire up KSP - you will see this message for every part found. Then quit KSP and fire it up again, and you will note that no issue of that log will be found. ;)

About the drag cubes, it's the same. KSP doesn't measures drag precisely, it uses on inaccurate approximation that it's good enough for the game purposes. This approximation is the drag-cube, literally a cube used to measure how much drag a part will cause - I do not really know how it is calculated, I just take this for granted, but if you go check that PartDatabase.cfg file you will get a long list of things like:

PART
{
        url = AirplanePlus/Parts/Aero/bigwing/part/bigwing
        DRAG_CUBE
        {
                cube = Default, 1.247,0.9107,1.43, 1.247,0.1293,11.17, 3.729,0.5781,0.8552, 3.729,0.3346,1.992, 21.76,0.9629,0.4668, 21.76,0.9634,0.4668, -5.467,-0.182,-2.858E-07, 11.2,2.366,0.7374
        }
}

And there it's your drag cubes. ;)

Some parts specify it's own drag cubes "manually", see the ./Squad/Parts/Aero/miniIntake/SmallIntake.cfg (took from KSP 1.4.3 as I using it to do some research now):

PART
{
	name = miniIntake
	module = Part
	author = Porkjet

<yada yada yada>

tags = #autoLOC_500198 //#autoLOC_500198 = aero (air aircraft breathe fligh inlet jet oxygen plane subsonic suck
	DRAG_CUBE
	{
		cube = Default, 0.1813352,0.6919296,0.4108824, 0.1813352,0.6919321,0.4108824, 0.3032565,0.4,0.3950377, 0.3032565,0.942507,0.1303004, 0.1813352,0.6928801,0.4108824, 0.1813352,0.6909673,0.4108824, 0,0.1324531,-2.368446E-08, 0.625,0.3274064,0.6250001
	}

See? You can specify yourself the drag cube (if you know how to do it :sticktongue:), or you can trust KSP to calculate it for you. When KSP does it, it prints that message about drag cubes on the KSP.log.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for those answers... I appreciate the information!

• 2 weeks later...

Question: How to share resources between Eagles, by example lf/ox from the refinery to another Eagle or Ore from the ore container to the refinery,  don´t see any convenient way of to docking eagles for to share resources, by example in the tv series, they had an extensible  port on the sides of the pods, so when they land an Eagle , they extend the port to the base and unload the crew, maybe something like that can be useful, of course you can put an extensible docking port on the side of the passengers pod but the refinery pod is open, though it could work with the ore container.

Maybe an extensible version of the heavy duty docking port on the top side of a pod or eagle´s frame can be docked to another one put it  on the bottom of  another Eagle on space, but dunno if that will work on ground.

Just throwing ideas, love the mod.

cheers

Edited by Makrom
typo

19 hours ago, Makrom said:

Just throwing ideas, love the mod.

Was never thought about, was more of a niche fun thing but.

I think the easiest thing  to do would be to get the Kerbal attachment system mod and put a hose and socket on each thing you want to transfer to. There is an extending dock port in making history but that would only really be practical in space.

Here is the link for it on spacedock.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1987/Kerbal Attachment System (KAS)

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Was never thought about, was more of a niche fun thing but.

I think the easiest thing  to do would be to get the Kerbal attachment system mod and put a hose and socket on each thing you want to transfer to. There is an extending dock port in making history but that would only really be practical in space.

Here is the link for it on spacedock.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1987/Kerbal Attachment System (KAS)

Yeah I though about Kas after I wrote my comment, anyway, I think that the idea of to use this ships for interstellar travels is interesting

@ColdJ 

I'm running into a bunch of warnings in my KSP log: 

[WRN 22:11:09.775] InternalModel error: Part Crew capacity is 1, but 2 seats are defined in internal model
[WRN 22:11:09.775] InternalModel error: Part Crew capacity is 1, but 2 seats are defined in internal model

InternalModel error: Part Crew capacity is 0, but 4 seats are defined in internal model (this one might not be related to your mod.  But the top two are listed after a vessel I named Eagle Module Transporter.

This is using the Black/White Eagle Head, the front and after service bays, and the piston landing structures.  

I am not certain which Eagle Head would be thought of as Black and white, but that is not what is referenced in your log.

The 2 that are listed are for the aft and fore in the structural frame and not to be worried about.

When I made this mod I had barely any 3D modeling knowledge and mostly it was upgrading through the configuration files. I adapted some things where I could but had no idea of how to make an interior from scratch. So at that time I just made use of stock internals where I could. The fore and aft use the Mk1 cabin internal which is set up to have 2 seats. I have limited those parts to only have a crew capacity of 1 and so that is why that message is in the log.

Unfortunately you can't have a crew hatch to get in and out unless you have an internal, so it needed something.

The other message is not related to the mod. I have double checked and the crew capacity for all 3 and internal all have 4 set up, so it would't come up as 0 crew capacity.

Quite often there are things like that in many mods, as long as something in your actual game play isn't going wrong then messages like those can be ignored.

I hope that clears that up for you.

@Xtra

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I am not certain which Eagle Head would be thought of as Black and white, but that is not what is referenced in your log.

The 2 that are listed are for the aft and fore in the structural frame and not to be worried about.

When I made this mod I had barely any 3D modeling knowledge and mostly it was upgrading through the configuration files. I adapted some things where I could but had no idea of how to make an interior from scratch. So at that time I just made use of stock internals where I could. The fore and aft use the Mk1 cabin internal which is set up to have 2 seats. I have limited those parts to only have a crew capacity of 1 and so that is why that message is in the log.

Unfortunately you can't have a crew hatch to get in and out unless you have an internal, so it needed something.

The other message is not related to the mod. I have double checked and the crew capacity for all 3 and internal all have 4 set up, so it would't come up as 0 crew capacity.

Quite often there are things like that in many mods, as long as something in your actual game play isn't going wrong then messages like those can be ignored.

I hope that clears that up for you.

@Xtra

@ColdJ   Thank you again for the quick reply.   I think the 3 of 4 issue comes from the MKS habitation module I'm carrying between fore and aft section.  I needed to rescue a mission where I have an mks mod without enough fuel for a mun landing.  So I rigged an Eagle up to carry it down... In a way I call it a cheat on my game play... but it was the fast fix for a mission I've run 6 times up to the mun landing and fail due to fuel on the mks modules fuel supplies.   I really love these eagles and I'm getting better and better at flying them for various quick missions.

Now I have to figure out how to decouple a NX-01 Shuttle from the docking port of my orbiter when the game is throwing me an error on the docking ports.   :(  I might end up running this mission a 7th time if today's reload of the game doesn't solve my issue. 

Thank you again.

On 5/1/2022 at 12:05 PM, Xtra said:

I really love these eagles and I'm getting better and better at flying them for various quick missions.

Eagles are great ships, I use them with TCA on  planets for hovering/landing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Makrom said:

let´s say that I would like a more turbine/jet sound for the GP-22 turbojet engine, what edit should be done?

First off that was the name given to it by it's original author, it is not actually a jet engine, it is a rocket. I just looked in the config and it uses the older configuration set up for rockets which puts the sound parameters seperate.

I knocked this together quickly. Create an empty text file in the same folder as the G22, copy the contents from the spoiler into it and save it as something like G22alt.cfg The original was labeled vtol.cfg    We are not replacing it but creating another config that will use the same model. Load up and see if it works. It should sound like the Goliath jet engine.

There are certain effects that only work with the old system and ones that only work with the new system so I can't just put a different sound file for a jet turbine in the old system.

If it does work but you don't like the sound or smoke then go through the stock engines and look at their EFFECTS sections and use the sound clip or prefab particle clip you prefer, only change the clip name, nothing else.

Example:

clip = sound_jet_deep

prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_veryLarge

Spoiler

PART
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = CJVTOL_bellAlt
    module = Part
    author = MajorTom, ColdJ

// --- asset parameters ---
    MODEL
    {
        model = Beyond1999/Parts/Engine/vtol
    }
    scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions: Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X,

Up Y, Up Z ---
    node_stack_back = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

// --- editor parameters ---
    TechRequired = heavierRocketry
    entryCost = 14000
    cost = 5300
    category = Engine
    subcategory = 0
    title = Modular Eagle GP-22 Turbojet
    manufacturer = Moonbase Alpha Engineering and CJ Aerospace
    description = Modular Eagle GP-22 Turbojet (VTOL Engine) - use

under Service Module, AFT Compartment and detachable Pods.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach,

allowCollision
    attachRules = 1,1,1,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
    mass = 1.0
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.2
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 30
    breakingForce = 300
    breakingTorque = 300
    maxTemp = 3400 // = 3600
    //heatConductivity = 0.03
    skinInternalConductionMult = 4.0
    emissiveConstant = 0.8 // engine nozzles are good at radiating.
    bulkheadProfiles = size1, mk3
    tags = eagle modular vtol engine

// internals, resources, effects, modules
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEnginesFX
        engineID = Cruise
        thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
        exhaustDamage = True
        ignitionThreshold = 0.1
        minThrust = 0
        maxThrust = 650
        heatProduction = 350
        //fxOffset = 0, 0, 0
        EngineType = Turbine
        exhaustDamageMultiplier = 5
        clampPropReceived = True
        flameoutEffectName = flameout
        powerEffectName = running_thrust
        engageEffectName = engage
        disengageEffectName = disengage
        spoolEffectName = running_turbine
        engineSpoolIdle = 0.05
        engineSpoolTime = 2.0

PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LiquidFuel
            ratio = 0.9
            DrawGauge = True
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = Oxidizer
            ratio = 1.1
        }
        atmosphereCurve
        {
            key = 0 1803    //1600
            key = 1 1578    //1400
            key = 6 0.001
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
        animationName = ksp_l_midrangeEngine_anim
        responseSpeed = 0.001
        dependOnEngineState = True
        dependOnThrottle = True
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAlternator
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 5.0
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleGimbal
        gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
        gimbalRange = 2
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSurfaceFX
        thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
        fxMax = 0.6
        maxDistance = 40
        falloff = 1.7
        thrustTransformName = thrustTransform
    }
    EFFECTS
    {        
        running_thrust
        {            
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = sound_jet_deep
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.05 0.4
                volume = 1.0 1.0
                pitch = 0.0 0.6
                pitch = 1.0 1.0
                loop = true
            }
            PREFAB_PARTICLE
            {
                prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_veryLarge
                transformName = thrustTransform
                emission = 0.0 0.0
                emission = 0.05 0.0
                emission = 0.075 0.25
                emission = 1.0 1.25
                speed = 0.0 0.25
                speed = 1.0 1.0
                localOffset = 0, 0, 1
                localRotation = 1, 0, 0, -90
            }                    
        }
        running_turbine
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = sound_jet_low
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.05 0.7
                volume = 1.0 1.0
                pitch = 0.0 0.4
                pitch = 0.05 0.5
                pitch = 1.0 1.0
                loop = true
            }
        }
        engage
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = sound_vent_medium
                volume = 1.0
                pitch = 2.0
                loop = false
            }
        }
        disengage
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = sound_vent_soft
                volume = 1.0
                pitch = 2.0
                loop = false
            }
        }
        flameout
        {
            PREFAB_PARTICLE
            {
                prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
                transformName = thrustTransform
                oneShot = true
            }
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = sound_explosion_low
                volume = 1.0
                pitch = 2.0
                loop = false
            }
        }
    }
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.