whens the next Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode coming out?

Sky Kerman

1 hour ago, Sky Kerman said:

Im thinking about a month, they all came out 3 months apart.

I've overanalyzed these feature videos so much that I can tell you without double-checking: they most certainly have not been coming out every three months.

Now, actually doing the deep dive that I've been wanting to do, we get this timeline...

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1 - Next Gen Tech | Released 20th of February, 2020

Four Months Later...

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1.5 - Work From Home Developer Update | Released 24th of June, 2020 (If you even count this one)

Five Months Later...

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 2 - The Kerbals | Released 21st of December, 2020

Five Months Later...

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 3 - Next Gen Astronauts | Released 14th of May, 2021

With Show and Tell's every two weeks and a bigger showcase (Dev Insights or Feature Videos) almost once a month, but not quite. (See this handy overview: Dev Diaries – Kerbal Space Program)

But we do know that Intercept is filming a new Feature Video.  I say "filming a new" because we don't actually know if they're "filming the next" one. For all we know they've already got the next one ready to go and just haven't released it yet.

To put a bow on all this, we have no idea when the next one is coming. But if you draw from the past release dates, it appears we still have a couple months.

I hope you're right that it's within the next month but it's hard to tell how many of these videos are left.  If the release date is 2022 and they're only dropping these videos once every five months, one could argue that the next video is the last one we'll get. This doesn't seem likely however, due to the fact that the KSP1 footage at the end of each of them suggests a countdown to release and we're still quite early in the countdown. So, either the release date is early 2022 and Intercept will start cranking these videos out more frequently (doesn't seem likely, they're decently long videos that probably take awhile to put together from start to finish) or the release date is later 2022 (:sob:) and they'll stay with the five month Feature Video release schedule.

Edited by Ahres
Formatting

1 hour ago, Ahres said:

I've overanalyzed these feature videos so much that I can tell you without double-checking: they most certainly have not been coming out every three months.

Now, actually doing the deep dive that I've been wanting to do, we get this timeline...

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1 - Next Gen Tech | Released 20th of February, 2020

Four Months Later...

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1.5 - Work From Home Developer Update | Released 24th of June, 2020 (If you even count this one)

Five Months Later...

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 2 - The Kerbals | Released 21st of December, 2020

Five Months Later...

• Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 3 - Next Gen Astronauts | Released 14th of May, 2021

With Show and Tell's every two weeks and a bigger showcase (Dev Insights or Feature Videos) almost once a month, but not quite. (See this handy overview: Dev Diaries – Kerbal Space Program)

But we do know that Intercept is filming a new Feature Video.  I say "filming a new" because we don't actually know if they're "filming the next" one. For all we know they've already got the next one ready to go and just haven't released it yet.

To put a bow on all this, we have no idea when the next one is coming. But if you draw from the past release dates, it appears we still have a couple months.

I hope you're right that it's within the next month but it's hard to tell how many of these videos are left.  If the release date is 2022 and they're only dropping these videos once every five months, one could argue that the next video is the last one we'll get. This doesn't seem likely however, due to the fact that the KSP1 footage at the end of each of them suggests a countdown to release and we're still quite early in the countdown. So, either the release date is early 2022 and Intercept will start cranking these videos out more frequently (doesn't seem likely, they're decently long videos that probably take awhile to put together from start to finish) or the release date is later 2022 (:sob:) and they'll stay with the five month Feature Video release schedule.

Pfff, at this rate we might be waiting for a very long time.

We know at least three more of these are coming (there might be more).

-Colonies

-Celestial Bodies

-Multiplayer (this one is an educated guess)

So lets put the releases all together.

October 2021: Colonies

March 2022: Celestial Bodies

August 2022: Multiplayer

Kerbal space program 2: September-December 2022

And that's assuming there are three left, putting in another couple would send us into...

Spoiler

Late2023...:valsob:

Edited by Minmus Taster

I almost tagged you in this @Minmus Taster, seemed like  a topic that'd be right up your alley. You're the only one I know that's examined these videos as much as/more than  I have. 

I'm very much an optimist, so I have to hope that Intercept will increase release frequency and/or showcase more than one feature per video and still give us a first half of 2022 release.  Neither of these are that far-fetched, thankfully. 

The KSP1 countdown easter egg could be a great indicator in the next video. From Ep. 1 to Ep. 2 it's almost a seamless continuation. But from Ep. 2 to Ep.3 there was a significant gap between so that they could show the rocket staging. My default assumption has been to assume once the craft reaches LKO or some other arbitrary destination, that'll be the end of the countdown. But where they skipped ahead to show the staging, I wonder if the countdown is more so about getting through the craft's stages. Now I feel like going back and trying to figure out how many stages it has - maybe that's how many feature videos there will be!

A follow up question for you though, MT, is do we know for sure that they'll do Feature Videos for colonies, celestial bodies, and possibly multiplayer? It seems like almost a certainty even if it hasn't been stated anywhere, but I was curious. 

32 minutes ago, Ahres said:

I almost tagged you in this @Minmus Taster, seemed like  a topic that'd be right up your alley. You're the only one I know that's examined these videos as much as/more than  I have. 

I'm very much an optimist, so I have to hope that Intercept will increase release frequency and/or showcase more than one feature per video and still give us a first half of 2022 release.  Neither of these are that far-fetched, thankfully. 

The KSP1 countdown easter egg could be a great indicator in the next video. From Ep. 1 to Ep. 2 it's almost a seamless continuation. But from Ep. 2 to Ep.3 there was a significant gap between so that they could show the rocket staging. My default assumption has been to assume once the craft reaches LKO or some other arbitrary destination, that'll be the end of the countdown. But where they skipped ahead to show the staging, I wonder if the countdown is more so about getting through the craft's stages. Now I feel like going back and trying to figure out how many stages it has - maybe that's how many feature videos there will be!

A follow up question for you though, MT, is do we know for sure that they'll do Feature Videos for colonies, celestial bodies, and possibly multiplayer? It seems like almost a certainty even if it hasn't been stated anywhere, but I was curious. 

Feeling conflicted about if the liftoff counts as a proper staging.

Also kind of strange that there is no staging in Episode 2, the rocket just pitches over.

In episode 3 the SRB's detach and the core stage cut's of, I don't know if the side tanks of the core stage are meant to detach but I'm guessing not.

The payload of this massive rocket looks like a colony resupply lander from the promo footage recreated in the stock game, seems to have landing legs.

I assume it would be going to either Mun, Minmus or Duna, but I'm putting my money on Mun because it would involve the least amount of staging events to line up with the confirmed/speculated feature videos.

I still pray think that KSP 2 will come out in early 2022 (Whole other discussion) so it seems that they will have to make these things faster (Eg: Every three months).

Assuming there's one more feature video and the rocket is going to the Mun, if each video starts coming out every three months starting in...October after video 4?

Then we'll get a release time for KSP 2 around....

July-December: 2022

Not nearly as bleak as my second estimate but not as joyful as my initial one :/ 

I was working on a chart of potential release times but I deleted it right as I finished it...gonna go cry now-

18 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Pfff, at this rate we might be waiting for a very long time.

that is assuming they will come att the same rate. i think they will come more often att the end of developement. especialy celestial bodies since they are working on them already  colonies have also been shown a little of already.  there is also more to show off later in developement so not only will the episodes be more common. they will have more content in them, maybe even actual gameplay,

On 8/28/2021 at 7:33 AM, Meecrob said:

I found this on youtube

It warms my heart to read the YouTube comments from people seeing this footage (why they aren't browsing the forums I don't know). The excitement of seeing orbital launch clamps, road building, geothermal power, Gurdamma, for the first time was breath-taking :)

Also, now that the wider public is aware of these features I feel 'safer' about the game's development, as if it has moved on past the guinea pig stage (showing on forums) to the 'real' stage..