info about comets size classes

hi,
I was launching a rocket into an LKO when, by pure chance, I saw a little blue strip in the sky.
I immediately understood that it was a comet and I enabled the unknown objects in the filter bar on top center of the screen.
I started tracking it in the Tracking Station, it's the first time I've seen one. Probably because I always keep the unknown object filter disabled.

excuse me, it's very long time I do not deal with asteroids related contracts, however I have few questions:

- Did this comet always exist since the 1.10 update, or did it appear, by chance, only recently? If I do not track it now, will it disappear soon?
- I know the size classes of asteroids, such as A, B, C, D, E. I see this comet has an H (Gargantuan) class so, are there size classes for comets too? Where can I find info about them?
- Currently I have none, but once I start tracking a comet, some kind of related contracts will appear in the Mission Control Building?

edit:
nevermind for the first question, I loaded several times a 245 days most recent save and warping in Tracking Station,
I've seen that the comets act like asteroids, they continuously and randomly appear/disappear, changing their orbit, size and name.

edit2:
nevermind for the third question too, sorry. I tried to track a comet and I've seen that comet contracts are generated.

edit3:
about the size classes, I read in this link: https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_comet_orbit_type.html
we have 9 different size classes, for the comets goes from "Huge"to "Gargantuan".
basically I just would like to have more info about these classes.

screenshot2.jpg?dl=1

screenshot00.jpg?dl=1

screenshot0.png?dl=1

screenshot1.png?dl=1

screenshot3.png?dl=1

screenshot4.png?dl=1

screenshot5.png?dl=1

screenshot6.png?dl=1

screenshot7.png?dl=1

Edited by antipro

Comets spawn in the same way as asteroids, only in much larger orbits.

Comets have the same size classes as asteroids except for new F, G  and H class sizes.

Contracts will appear to collect samples from comets, there might be other comet related contracts but those are the only ones I've seen.

9 hours ago, Stamp20 said:

Comets spawn in the same way as asteroids, only in much larger orbits.

Got it, thanks. And sorry, I was still testing the game and editing the post, you anticipated me.

Comets have the same size classes as asteroids except for new F, G  and H class sizes.

ok, but aren't there other info such as "size name" and mass range?

From asteroids wiki:
A: 2.1 ~ 9.5 tons
B: 9.5 ~ 42.5 tons
C: 42.5 ~ 190.6 tons
D: 190.6 ~ 854 tons
E: 854 ~ 3,828 tons

(I can't even find their related asteroid size names)

and that api info page talks about 9 classes, but from A to H I count 8 only.
we have 9 different size classes, for the comets goes from "Huge"to "Gargantuan"
https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_comet_orbit_type.html

so, we have "Huge", "Massive", "Gargantuan", what else?
and for asteroids "Tiny", "Small", "Medium", "Large", which others?

Contracts will appear to collect samples from comets, there might be other comet related contracts but those are the only ones I've seen.

yes I see, thanks.

Edited by antipro

Correct me If I'm wrong, anyway I played some time with these comets and I made a rendezvous of all the classes I found, they are 4, and their mass is approximately:

E (Huge) - 1400 t
F (Huge) - 4700 t
G (Massive) - 95000 t
H (Gargantuan) - 290000 t

comets%20classes.jpg?dl=1

comets%20kerbin.png?dl=1

Trails

EF.jpg?dl=1

HG.jpg?dl=1

And about asteroids size names, they should be:

A: 2.1 ~ 9.5 tons - Tiny
B: 9.5 ~ 42.5 tons - Small
C: 42.5 ~ 190.6 tons - Medium
D: 190.6 ~ 854 tons - Large
E: 854 ~ 3,828 tons - Huge

So there is a class E (Huge) for asteroids as well for comets, and apparently the F class is called (Huge) too.

Edited by antipro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.