[1.10] Headlines v0.5-beta - Reputation and crewmember careers for RP1 (Sept 20th 2021)

Bongotastic

In development, but fully featured.

Headlines models the reputation aspect of the space race, and follows the careers of your crew members. Hire, fire crew members and let them do their best at the KSC when not flying. Pilots are ideal for public relations, fundraising, talent scouting, and help your program increase in reputation. If the public and government don't understand how great your program's achievements, then you end up celebrating in private as the press won't show. The highest your profile, the better the staff you can recruit.

Scientists lead teams in the R&D complex, and high profile scientist may bring colleagues from abroad to draw the most out of science data. Engineers lead teams in the VAB to make assembly more efficient.

Requires: Realistic Progression 1

KSP version: 1.10 (as per RP1), 1.8 should work ok, but untested. 

Video: Introduction to the UI

Documentationhttps://github.com/bongotastic/Headlines/wiki 

Package

Available on CKAN

https://github.com/bongotastic/Headlines/releases 

Licensehttps://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

68747470733a2f2f696d616765732e696e646961

Photo: ISRO satellite launch: Proud moment for India, 104 satellites placed in orbit

Sample UI:

personnel.png

Changelog

• v0.5 - Program Manager and better Media live events.
  • v0.4 - Media Invite logic overhauled into media campaign + live event.
  • v0.3.3 - Hiring cost subsidies to help build larger teams.
  • v0.3.0 - Initial release.
Edited by Bongotastic
New version

First off, thank you for making this.  I have watched the video and read the docs and it looks really interesting to me.  I play RP-1 in a story approach trying to build a solid program over time instead of trying to beat my times.  This could really enhance that aspect of my gameplay a lot.

I will be using it and report any issues I see or make comments.  Quick question, do you prefer those comments/issues be put here or in github directly?

Thanks again!

55 minutes ago, billgarlic said:

I will be using it and report any issues I see or make comments.  Quick question, do you prefer those comments/issues be put here or in github directly?

I'm with you: I want my career to feel like a story rather than a gamey race. I enjoy failures and setbacks if it tells a good story. Managing risks beyond what TestFlight brings makes the story more vivid IMO. I'm finalizing a new version of KerbalRenamer with configurable multi-cultural names, specifically to enhance Headlines (with naming profiles for NASA, CCCP, ESA, ISRO, CNSA). 

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, but I'm many times a day on Discord as bongotastic (and ubiquitously on the KSP-RO server). I'm really interested in figuring out what makes gameplay more fun, but so far I've been both developing and testing. It is time for others to bring their perspectives. As of now, it is meant to reward players rather than put pressure under them. I expect that the experience will be refined a lot with the input of players thinking alike. KSP/RP1 modding is a ton of fun, if a bit perplexing at times.

For bugs, the best place is to file an issue as I use it as my TODO: https://github.com/bongotastic/Headlines/issues 

My blue-sky ideas (most are actually easy to do) are here: https://github.com/bongotastic/Headlines/wiki/Future-directions  

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Any reason this won't work in stock?  Not everyone wants to play RP-1

I thought about this since the pool of player is in a different scale for Stock. However, I haven't played stock in a long while.

Scientists and Engineers are integrated pretty deeply with the RP1 Kerbal Construction Time (KCT) component. Their main benefit is to lead teams and accelerate/slowdown research or production. This could be disconnected and I've structure my code to isolate RP1 only to where it is necessary.

I'm planning to weave engineers and scientist more closely to RO/RP1 parts and technologies. The stock career would require a rethink. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

[Request]

Suggested improvement for handling VAB Boost points
when using multiple launch sites in RP-1

Current handling of VAB Boost points (According to my observation and following the source code)

- when triggering a VAB Boost Point -> this is assigned to the currently active ksc
- If an engineer quits or dies, all his boost points will also be deducted from the active ksc (regardless of which ksc they were previously assigned)
   * this could result in the termination of an engineer with 20 boost points and an active ksc who only has 10 kct points manually assigned
      and has received 6 boost points, there the kct points are set to 0 (or 0.1 if checked and intercepted)
      -> this means that this location would in principle no longer be usable and the manually assigned kct points would also be lost

New functionality (request)

Example:
Personal 3x Engineer
        - Eng1 with Team +6
        - Eng2 with Team +3
        - Eng3 with Team +2

Default assignment of teams is the first launch site activated via KCT with the 1st point (KCT-DataStorage lists all active launch sites)
1. Launch site is the main KSC (Headquarter) where the staff is working on and their personal VAB Boost Points
(immediate & legendary) are applied
The teams are assigned to the headquarters by default

It should be possible to assign the engineer teams to another launch site.
This has the advantage that you can boost a production at another location with staff (teams).

when a team moves to a new location, the team points are deducted at the old location and activated at the new location after 24 hours (simulates the travel time of the staff)

Eng1 Team -> Vandenburg (manuell assigned)
Eng2 Team -> Cape Canaveral (default assigned)
Eng2 Team -> Cape Canaveral (default assigned)

when an engineer leaves or dies, it is always known where his boost points are used and you can remove them in a targeted manner.

Edited by kretze

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.