Threads of the month: September 2021

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
September 2021 Edition

gQ6ydrs.png?1

Hello and greetings to all!

September is here! In my local area there's already been a change in the air as we say good riddance to the heat of summer and as the cool evening breezes of autumn begin their return. For many of us, life begins to center around academics, the classroom, and the return of working towards achieving our lifelong dreams. It is the beginning of a new academic year, full of potential. For others not tied to an academic calendar, it's the continued passage of time culminating towards the end of the year in only 121 more days!

To continue a thing I started in May (2021) about the forum and new members as a way to answer the fears some folks had about the forum dying. In July, there were 412 new forum accounts created.  Of those, 172 have actively posted content (defined as having at least one post). This means that roughly 41.7% of the new user accounts are actively participating on the forum (this is down a little since last month). If you're interested in seeing the new members to our forum, you can click here!

Before I forget - there's something I want to mention. As we all know, there are times things happen beyond our control. Imgur, PhotoBucket, and other online image hosting platforms are really starting to reduce the amount of file space they are offering for free. This means that sometimes image quality may be reduced or images may be removed if the user does not either subscribe for a paid service or comply with other EULAs. If that should happen to a post you find linked here (or anywhere else on the forum), please do not publicly shame the well-intended forum member. Just mention it on their thread or send them a PM. And keep it friendly. :)

Before I get into the threads of the month for September, I ask that as you visit the forum this month, you help make it easier for me to do the September Thread of the Month and nominate worthy threads by using the handy instructions at the bottom of this post.

Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for September:

General community threads of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories. This month, we have one thread recognized for this category:

We all know that Kerbal Space Program 2 will be coming out; hopefully soon. TM And as many of us know, there's a lot of endless speculation about the features and graphics of the game. One of the areas where there's been a lot of speculation is how new content and continued development might happen. @SQUAD and the team who brought us the original Kerbal Space Program have us spoiled and has set a high bar for how our community expects future installments of the game to be handled. In this thread, @justspace103 begins the discussion most of us want to be a part of. 

If you have questions about KSP2 and its potential continual development, this might be the thread for you. Just remember your opinions are as valid as your fellow forum members and to be respectful with your comments - even if you disagree with one another, there's no need to be hostile. :)

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:

This category features a mod (or mods) which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program. For June, we have one thread in this category:

This month, we have two featured in this category. The first one is by one of the community's active modders, @Nertea. Ever since I've been a member of the forum, I have been amazed at the quality of work Nertea has produced in of the mods released to the community. In this parts pack, there are all kinds of parts, custom IVAs, and other really neat gotta have items for your brave Kerbalnauts. If you're looking for a way to give your space station, your ground settlement, or even your deep space research vessel some new pizazz, this is the mod for you!

(And if you are interested in seeing what Nertea is working on now, you can visit this thread)

For this month, we had a second winner for this category. Although a relatively newcomer to the forum, @Krafpy has given our community a very powerful tool. If you're like me, I play KSP and plan my interplanetary transfers one at a time, often looking for the best routes to conserve energy and often planning them one step at a time. This means that often my brave and daring Kerbalnauts are stuck orbiting Duna to get to the exact... :P

Well, no more! This helpful tool will allow you to plan your trajectories using multiple gravity assists without having your Kerbalnauts taking a few unplanned orbits around Duna!

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:  

This is a new category we are adding to the Threads of the Month. For the past few years, we have seen a lot of really good missions and challenges threads created that expand our fun with the game and presses our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck, beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it, we all have our go-to design basics, our go-to Kermen, and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals.

Unfortunately, we did not have any nominations for this category.

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:
This category features a thread (or threads) which while is not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game. For this month, we have one thread in this category.

In this thread, @AmateurAstronaut1969 set out to create/recreate the Spacestation Freedom from the alternative history of Eyes Turned Skyward. As shared in the OP:

I wanted a Challenge, something Cool to do, & something to share and show on the forums. So this will be where I document the creation and assembly of the Station

However, this will be my Interpretation of it, as firstly, it's more entertaining to recreate it in your own style/way, and also, I haven't read too much of ETS yet ( I keep meaning to, but I always forget). For example, this is extremely evident in how I chose to make most of the Ports CBM's and not APAS's like in ETS. this is for a number of reasons, but mainly that the APAS are a smaller diameter than the Modules, and using an adapter doesn't look the best.

If you're looking for a good read and some good screenshots of a well-planned mission, I invite you to take a look at this thread. I think you'll enjoy it.  Who knows, if you're running low on inspiration for your own space program, maybe this will encourage you to try to recreate scenes from your favorite science fiction novel, movie, or television show through Kerbal Space Program. And as always, share your efforts on the forum! We always enjoy seeing what you do.

Honorable mentions:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for September 2021 are:

Honorable mentions for September may not have made the Thread of The Month this month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for September! We'd like to thank @Spaceman.Spiff, @Dientus, @Kuiper_Belt@Stormpilot, @The Doodling Astronaut, @Zelda, and the members of the moderation team who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed August's threads of the month, you can click here.

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I always get excited to see what gets in to the awards. Very talented community you guys are

Me, too!

And you are a part of the "very talented community," too!

2 hours ago, ShuttlePilot said:

"summer.exe" has stopped working.

; - (

YAY! I'm more of a late fall through early spring guy myself. I'd rather have a slight chill in the air than have any hint of a hot summer breeze...

33 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

@adsii1970you may need to pin SSPXR 

Nope, to make it easier on myself, I am not going to pin the TOTM winners any longer. I was the one who started pinning them. They are linked in this thread and this should make them easy to find.

And also, I have given them a prefix of TOTM SEP 2021. It's also a post tag. :)

Edited by adsii1970
I'm a moron and cannot type or think tonight.

1 hour ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

Me in the south hemishere: I've been freezing for 2 months

I'll trade you my summer for your winter. I prefer colder weather.

There are some places on the human body where I prefer not to sweat!

On 9/9/2021 at 12:59 PM, justspace103 said:

Thanks @adsii1970 and mods for the recognition! I've loved KSP for this past decade and happy to contribute to the discussion of the sequel.

Well, keep the conversations going! And don't forget - if you see a thread worthy of TOTM consideration, please nominate it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.