NullReferenceException stops KSP from loading

I recently experienced an error when trying to start up KSP. At some point, it just stops loading and doesnt do anything. In the console it says "Exception: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". This occurs when the game is trying to load the Lacks Luster Lab mod. I´ve also had that happen with other mods, but somehow i got around it by installing the "continued" versions by linuxgurugamer. Sadly, this ain´t working this time, with both versions the same error occurs. Has anyone an Idea how to fix that? For everyone who needs them, here´s the Log file and a Screenshot. Thx in advance for helping :).

Just to rule out any other possible problems - if you uninstall the Lacks Luster Lab, things work fine?

It appears to be something on 2x1Greenhouse, or perhaps on the part immediately after ir on the GameDatabase:

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part '2x1Greenhouse'
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

Uploading Crash Report
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleDeployablePart.AssumeDragCubePosition (System.String name) [0x00088] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0
  at DragCubeSystem+<RenderDragCubes>d__34.MoveNext () [0x001de] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00026] in <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Perhaps removing the 2x1Greenhouse (or the next one on the list, it depends on who things are borking inside KSP) would allow you to keep playing.

In a way or another, I will give this a try this afternoon.

28 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Just to rule out any other possible problems - if you uninstall the Lacks Luster Lab, things work fine?

It appears to be something on 2x1Greenhouse, or perhaps on the part immediately after ir on the GameDatabase:

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part '2x1Greenhouse'
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

Uploading Crash Report
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleDeployablePart.AssumeDragCubePosition (System.String name) [0x00088] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0
  at DragCubeSystem+<RenderDragCubes>d__34.MoveNext () [0x001de] in <cd473063d3a2482f8d93d388d0c95035>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00026] in <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Perhaps removing the 2x1Greenhouse (or the next one on the list, it depends on who things are borking inside KSP) would allow you to keep playing.

In a way or another, I will give this a try this afternoon.

Yeah, when uninstalled everything runs fine...

Edited by Sonk

54 minutes ago, Sonk said:

Edit: almost one hour after moving the 2x1-parts folder out of the game directory (didn´t want to delete it so i moved it to another directory), game is still loading....

Edited by Sonk

57 minutes ago, Sonk said:

Oukey, so we have a deterministic way of reproducing the problem. This will make my life considerably easier while diagnosing this. :)

I will get back to you soon.

9 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Oukey, so we have a deterministic way of reproducing the problem. This will make my life considerably easier while diagnosing this. :)

I will get back to you soon.

ok, just to say, i´moved the 2x1-parts folder out of KSP´s root directory, after that the game took about ~1 hour to load (normally it takes 30 mins for me with 270 mods) and showed the main menu, however i wasn´t able to click on anything (the button would light up but not do anything)

Oukey…  @Sonk, I forgot my promise, I intended to do this test yesterday (Sunday). Sorry.

But now I remembered, and I will give this a peek now. Just to be sure, you downloaded the Add'on from this link, right?

https://spacedock.info/mod/856/Lack+Luster+Labs+Continued

I will try this one first.

First, the latest LLL release has pretty old Firespitter and ModuleManager versions. Don't use them.

Download the latest version of Firespitter here, and the latest version of ModuleManager here (this link I pulled from the MM thread). Remove any older copies of ModuleManager if you find some on your GameData - assuming you didn't already did that.

However, this is not what was borking your installment. The 2x1Greenhouse halted the KSP loading the same here on my rig. It's something on the .cfg file, to be more specific on GameData/LLL/Parts/Utility/2x1/Greenhouse/2x1Greenhouse.cfg .

I'm afraid this is yet one more KSP bug to be worked around, but for now removing this file is the best option at hands.

For the sake of Kuriosity :P I tested the LLL on previous KSP versions to see what I get. All KSP downto 1.10.0 are problematic on LLL, but KSP 1.9.1 worked fine with it.

On a wild guess, there's something missing on GameData/LLL/Parts/Utility/2x1/Greenhouse/2x1Greenhouse.cfg that makes KSP >= 1.10.0 to fail miserably.

In time, since you are using TweakScale,  KIS and Firespitter, you also need to install the TweakScale Companion for KIS and the one for Firespitter - revised and improved patches are available there, the current ones on TweakScale are deprecated and will not be updated anymore (and will be completely removed on the next major version).

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Oukey…  @Sonk, I forgot my promise, I intended to do this test yesterday (Sunday). Sorry.

But now I remembered, and I will give this a peek now. Just to be sure, you downloaded the Add'on from this link, right?

https://spacedock.info/mod/856/Lack+Luster+Labs+Continued

I will try this one first.

First, the latest LLL release has pretty old Firespitter and ModuleManager versions. Don't use them.

Download the latest version of Firespitter here, and the latest version of ModuleManager here (this link I pulled from the MM thread). Remove any older copies of ModuleManager if you find some on your GameData - assuming you didn't already did that.

However, this is not what was borking your installment. The 2x1Greenhouse halted the KSP loading the same here on my rig. It's something on the .cfg file, to be more specific on GameData/LLL/Parts/Utility/2x1/Greenhouse/2x1Greenhouse.cfg .

I'm afraid this is yet one more KSP bug to be worked around, but for now removing this file is the best option at hands.

For the sake of Kuriosity :P I tested the LLL on previous KSP versions to see what I get. All KSP downto 1.10.0 are problematic on LLL, but KSP 1.9.1 worked fine with it.

On a wild guess, there's something missing on GameData/LLL/Parts/Utility/2x1/Greenhouse/2x1Greenhouse.cfg that makes KSP >= 1.10.0 to fail miserably.

In time, since you are using TweakScale,  KIS and Firespitter, you also need to install the TweakScale Companion for KIS and the one for Firespitter - revised and improved patches are available there, the current ones on TweakScale are deprecated and will not be updated anymore (and will be completely removed on the next major version).

Thanks, imma try that, eventhough I installed LLL via CKAN...Also, I´ve never installed Tweakscale and also can´t find a folder with that name in my GamData directory.....xD

Edit: Tried it with new Firespitter and MM versions, still not working :/. Any other advice?

Edited by Sonk

3 hours ago, Sonk said:

Thanks, imma try that, eventhough I installed LLL via CKAN...Also, I´ve never installed Tweakscale and also can´t find a folder with that name in my GamData directory.....xD

My bad! I misread a log entry, you have Knes installed and it have some TweakScale patches (that are not being applied, obviously). Sorry! :D

3 hours ago, Sonk said:

Edit: Tried it with new Firespitter and MM versions, still not working :/. Any other advice?

Well, these will not fix the LLL but will prevent you from having new problems later. So, not a waste - au contraire. ;) 

From now on, only the LLL maintainer can help you, as the problem is the GameData/LLL/Parts/Utility/2x1/Greenhouse/2x1Greenhouse.cfg for sure. And since it worked fine on 1.9.1 and started to bork on 1.10.0, this will help the maintainer to zeroin the problem and fix it as with a bit of luck it's something mentioned on the release notes or that it was happening somewhere else and was fixed (known bugs are pretty easier to fix).

Let me know if something new happens.

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.