[KISv2] [ALPHA] Testing of the new KIS

IgorZ

16 hours ago, flart said:

Is volumes calculated the same way as in the KSP Part Volumes ? 
https://github.com/.../PartVolume.cs#L200-L214

No, KIS calculates volume based on the meshes. The stock implementation is based on the renderer and collider boundaries. In the normal case the boundary of a renderer should match the boundary of its mesh, but I've seen edge cases when it was not the case.

Here is the code: https://github.com/ihsoft/KIS2/blob/4e718797258f581080df1f966c486f0e987bb315/Source/api/Utils/PartModelUtilsImpl.cs#L176

Edited by IgorZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really tried to make Alpha-3 before the end of the year (the main feature: being able to place items in/out of the inventory and move them in the scene). Alas, I've discovered too many issues with the physics. So, instead of a new release, I'm sharing a video with my findings :) 

You may have asked "why not using the old KIS approach?". Well, the short answer is: it has even worse problems. I know how to break my mods, and this video is a proof. The old KIS has really bad edge cases that just cannot be fixed in scope of that mod :(  KISv2 is focused to use the stock logic as much as possible. And it consumes a lot of time for the investigation.

I'm going to vacation till the end of the year. So, Marry Christmas and happy New Year to everyone! See you in 2022.

12 hours ago, flart said:

Doesn't it out of scope of this mod, because same infinite tumbleweed effect could be found in the stock with casual decouple & explosions ?

The  "tumbleweed effect" is indeed out of scope. The main issue is static attach of the parts. It can be a known stock issue too. If so, then I'll skip it, but at this point I believe there is something to be done from KIS to let the game know the part was moved and the related vessel need to be re-evaluated.

• 1 month later...

Alpha-3

New features to this build

1. Supported dragging parts between inventory and scene. To grab a part from scene press and hold key "J", then hove over the part.
  2. Added compatibility mode that automatically turns on when loading science or carrier game. In this mode the KIS inventory works exactly the same way as the stock inventory, fully respecting all stock limitations. In this mode it's safe to use KIS2-alpha3 in the carrier games.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Support drop and attach parts.
  • Stack node / surafce attach mode switch.

Press and hold "J" to activate pickup mode in flight. All other keys will be shown in the tooltip hints.

The mod is designed so that new people dopn't need to learn "magic keys". All available ekys in any mode are shown either in the tooltop or at the screen top. The "J" key is the only exception, this one you need to remember.

Forgot to mention what to test. The main focus is on to:

• The clarity of the UI. It should be intuitive. If it's not, let me know your use-case. Basically, the goal is to eliminate the question "what should I do if". You just start doing whatever you want and UI gives the hints.
  • Nothing is expected to explode. There can be glitches, and I want to know about them!
  • The new UI is supposed to be better than the stock (it's the whole purpose of KISv2!). If it's not, then I eager to know why.
  • This is the time to start reporting bugs. If you see something , say something!
  • I never tested this mod in the orbit or on a planet with low gravity. Are there any brave volontiers who can afford losing a base or a station?
Edited by IgorZ

Dabbled with the new release for a few minutes.

In the editor, it would be nice (don't know how feasible) to see the shortcuts for mass adding items, like shift = +10,  ctrl = +1, alt = grab all etc. Also a shortcut for mass removing them could be handy. Don't know if it's just me but the text in the ui seemed kind of blurry.

When holding J, no tooltips are shown only "====="

One quick test in orbit: welding a ladder went smoothly. Trying to weld a monopropellant tank resulted in Bill's disintegration, but the craft was kept intact somehow.

Second test with a new engineer, still had some problems:

- grabbing was easy, quite a long distance too.

- I figured out "k" would screw parts together, but I couldn't find the keys for rotating the parts beforehand

- A healthy dose of explosions :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 1:21 AM, KawaiiLucy said:

It's the same for me.

@IgorZ In the final version, an inventory will be on the second level of PAW as it is now (the button on the PAW opens KIS2 inventory),

or it will be on PAW itself, instead the stock one? How then more columns will be handled by stock PAW?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 3:21 PM, KawaiiLucy said:

In the editor, it would be nice (don't know how feasible) to see the shortcuts for mass adding items, like shift = +10,  ctrl = +1, alt = grab all etc. Also a shortcut for mass removing them could be handy

The shortcuts are supposed to be there. What do you see in the tooltip?

9puD4oB.png

On 11/9/2022 at 3:58 AM, flart said:

It's the same for me.

This is absolutely insane! Could you please share your logs? What if you run a pristine game with only KIS2 installed, will you have the same issue?

Don't know if it's just me but the text in the ui seemed kind of blurry.

It used to be in the KSP 1.12.3 and before. I was going to address it one day, but it seems in 1.12.4 it's magically solved. At least for me.

Trying to weld a monopropellant tank resulted in Bill's disintegration, but the craft was kept intact somehow

I noticed that the surface attach parts go under the surface of the target part. It was an issue in Alpha-3. Are you sure you've updated? The explosion is a result of the new part collision.

I've figured the reason of "=====" tooltips. It's a broken localization file somewhere in your games. Not happening in the pristine game to me, so I tend to think it's some mod. I know how to workaround it in KIS2, though. Will do in the next alpha.

FWIW, here is a config that makes this issue:
Localization
{
	en-us
	{
======
	}
}

Looks like a bad comment in some localization config. I'd love to know a list of mods in your games to verify this theory.

Edited by IgorZ

Changes:

• Fix "=====" strings in tooltip for some users (a mods conflict issue).
  • Use a specialized KSPDev_Utils version to not collide with the other mods.
  • Some small bug fixes and regressions.

@KawaiiLucy @flart

Thanks folks for your input! I really value your efforts in helping to make this mod live.

10 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I'd love to know a list of mods in your games to verify this theory.

alpha4, ksp 1.12.3 
UPD. it's CommunityPartsTitles

Spoiler

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v4.2.2.0
ClickThroughBlocker v0.1.10.17
0Harmony v2.2.1.0
HarmonyInstallChecker v2.2.1.0
ToolbarControl v0.1.9.6
AnyResContinued v2.0.8.0 / v2.0.8
Collide-o-Scope v1.3.1.0 / v1.3.1+Branch.tags-v1.3.1.Sha.be8f18c959e6203eda10bda6439ee775867afd14
CCK v5.1.0.0 / v5.1.0.0 for KSP v1
EditorExtensionsRedux v3.4.3.5
KerbalEngineer.Unity v1.0.0.0
KerbalEngineer v1.1.9.0
HyperEdit v1.5.8.0 / v1.5.8
KIS2 v1.999.8316.668 / vKASv2 concept
KIS_Unity v1.0.8056.41905
KSPDev_Utils.2.8 v2.8.0.0 / v2.8 for KSP v1
0_MultipleModuleInPartAPI v1.0.0.0
KSPCommunityFixes v1.20.3.0
KSPDev_LogConsole v2.1.7422.1031 / v2.1 for KSP v1
KSPDev_Utils.2.2 v2.2.7417.673 / v2.2 for KSP v1
QuickStart v2.2.1.1
SpeedUnitAnnex v1.4.4.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35
VesselMover v1.12.0.0
WasdEditorCameraContinued v0.7.3.3
KSP-AVC v0.0.0.1
ZeroMiniAVC v1.1.2.4

Folders and files in GameData:
000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_Harmony
001_ToolbarControl
002_CommunityPartsTitles
AnyRes
Collide-o-Scope
CommunityCategoryKit
EditorExtensionsRedux
FreeLaunchClamps
KerbalEngineer
Kerbaltek
KIS2
KSPCommunityFixes
KSPDev
QuickMods
SpeedUnitAnnex
VesselMover
WasdEditorCamera
ZeroMiniAVC

it have been fixed in the alpha5

Edited by flart

20 hours ago, flart said:

UPD. it's CommunityPartsTitles

Went to check it and figured you own it :)  Great idea btw. In my mods I try to give meaningful names to the parts. Alas, there is no standard on it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.