Changes to Your Kerbal Account [Discussion Thread]

StarSlay3r

Hello Kerbonauts, 

We are pleased to announce that on Tuesday, August 31st we will be launching the brand-new Private Division Account system, which will replace the current Kerbal Account you use to purchase, download, or re-download versions of Kerbal Space Program from the KSP webstore.  

Please be aware the current Kerbal Space Program webstore and account will be taken offline at 10.00 AM PST / 1.00 PM EST on Tuesday, August 31st while the new platform is put online to replace it. 

The new Private Division Account will be used for all things Private Division related, such as direct store purchases, access to multiplayer games, managing account preferences, and more. 

When the Private Division Account goes live, if you have an existing Kerbal Account you will receive an email outlining the steps you need to take to complete the upgrade. Anyone who has a Kerbal Account will need to upgrade their existing account to a Private Division Account to access download links for previous KSP-related purchases, as the old account pages will be unavailable. 

What does this mean for me?
If you have a Kerbal Account, you will need to upgrade it to a Private Division Account to access previous purchases of Kerbal Space Program. You will receive an email reminder from Private Division, or you can directly visit the Private Division Account page and use your existing Kerbal Account credentials when it is live, and follow the steps outlined. 

For anyone without an existing Kerbal Account, this change does not affect you, however, you can still signup for the new Private Division account for all the benefits of easily managing your Private Division titles and more.  

Why is the Kerbal Account being replaced? 
The release of a Private Division Account brings with it new standards for account creation and security (such as code verification) which weren’t part of the Kerbal Account. We also want a wider inclusion of Private Division initiatives to live in a central location, meaning one account for everything. In addition - one of the reasons this is happening now - is the Kerbal Account uses a direct purchase store provider which is being replaced. 

What new information will be requested to upgrade to a Private Division Account? 
To complete the upgrade process from a Kerbal Account to a Private Division Account we will ask for your Country, Date of Birth, and a Display Name. Your Country and Date of Birth is required for account eligibility purposes. 

We will also require you to agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which have been used when making a Kerbal Account. These can already be found here: https://www.take2games.com/legal/ and here: https://www.take2games.com/privacy/  

What will happen to my Kerbal Account? 
If you have a Kerbal Account, we advise you to upgrade your account to a Private Division Account. All previous Kerbal Accounts will be rolled into a new Private Division Account on Tuesday, August 31st, and it’ll be the only place for you to access the KSP client direct downloads. 

What will happen to my forum account? 
Your forum account will remain a separate login from your Private Division Account. We are exploring opportunities to allow you to login to the forum and other places using your Private Division Account credentials in the near future. If anything changes regarding your existing forum login credentials, we will let you know in advance. 

How can I re-download Kerbal Space Program from my account? 
If you have purchased Kerbal Space Program or it’s expansions from the KSP webstore, you will need to upgrade your account to a Private Division Account in order to access those purchases. To upgrade your account, all you will need to do is enter your Kerbal Account credentials and follow the steps to complete the account creation once the page is live. 

------

UPDATE: The new Private Division Account is now live: https://account.privatedivision.com - here you can use your previous Kerbal Account email address and follow the steps to upgrade. You will be able to download KSP from the “Game Download” section of your profile.  If you didn’t have a Kerbal Account you can register for a new Private Division Account at the same link.

3 hours ago, Ezriilc said:

I must admit it seems really sketchy to be logging into one site with the credentials from another.  It's a huge red flag that the someone is phishing.

But, if all y'all says it's legit, then I guess I'm doing it!  <_<

Thank you for your concern. Users can go to https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/ and click on the Account button in the upper right hand corner as they usually have done, or log in through the official Private Division Store as well. All methods will lead to the account portal which is a subdomain of the official Private Division site.  (Private Division is the publisher of Kerbal Space Program) The urls I have listed in this thread are our official urls. 

8 minutes ago, KSPStar said:

Thank you for your concern. Users can go to KerbalSpaceProgram.com and click on the Account button in the upper right hand corner as they usually have done, or log in through the official Private Division Store as well. All methods will lead to the account portal which is a subdomain of the official Private Division site.  (Private Division is the publisher of Kerbal Space Program) The urls I have listed in this thread are our official urls. 

Thank you very much!  I appreciate the full response you've given.  I'm happy to be a part of the new system.

You guys do realize than an over zealous password requirements actually REDUCES security right?

lol wut? (sic)

As counter-intuitive as it seems this is correct, and is  one of the really difficult wetware problems of IT Security.  At least here it is a reasonable eight characters and not the sillier ten or even twelve.  As a relative comparison my bank,  which has some legal requirements around this,  requires at least eight characters, at least one letter, one number or character. One site I was interested in required a at least two characters from two different keyboard languages, as well as the classic four. 

Requiring all of the classic four means, at least, one of four things will happen.

One, password reuse. People will find one or two passwords that they can remember that manage to make it though the sieve of the four.

Two, near constant password resets. On an irregular use login like PD, assuming you didn't reuse a password, you try three or four times and then tap the reset password button, and then go through the whole process to get in. Which of course you'll repeat in six months or so because you forgot what unique password you used. 

Three, the password gets written down, either in a text file on the desktop. Or on a notepad  next to the keyboard, which at least is air gapped.

Four, they use a password manager. Which means you only have to remember one password, true. However, imagine having to replace  your wallet and all the cards in it, but the only place the information needed to access is inside your wallet.

Yeah, no perfect solution. But, there are less imperfect ones.

On 8/27/2021 at 12:40 PM, KSPStar said:

Hello Kerbonauts, 

We are pleased to announce that on Tuesday, August 31st we will be launching the brand-new Private Division Account system, which will replace the current Kerbal Account you use to purchase, download, or re-download versions of Kerbal Space Program from the KSP webstore.  

Please be aware the current Kerbal Space Program webstore and account will be taken offline at 10.00 AM PST / 1.00 PM EST on Tuesday, August 31st while the new platform is put online to replace it. 

The new Private Division Account will be used for all things Private Division related, such as direct store purchases, access to multiplayer games, managing account preferences, and more. 

When the Private Division Account goes live, if you have an existing Kerbal Account you will receive an email outlining the steps you need to take to complete the upgrade. Anyone who has a Kerbal Account will need to upgrade their existing account to a Private Division Account to access download links for previous KSP-related purchases, as the old account pages will be unavailable. 

What does this mean for me?
If you have a Kerbal Account, you will need to upgrade it to a Private Division Account to access previous purchases of Kerbal Space Program. You will receive an email reminder from Private Division, or you can directly visit the Private Division Account page and use your existing Kerbal Account credentials when it is live, and follow the steps outlined. 

For anyone without an existing Kerbal Account, this change does not affect you, however, you can still signup for the new Private Division account for all the benefits of easily managing your Private Division titles and more.  

Why is the Kerbal Account being replaced? 
The release of a Private Division Account brings with it new standards for account creation and security (such as code verification) which weren’t part of the Kerbal Account. We also want a wider inclusion of Private Division initiatives to live in a central location, meaning one account for everything. In addition - one of the reasons this is happening now - is the Kerbal Account uses a direct purchase store provider which is being replaced. 

What new information will be requested to upgrade to a Private Division Account? 
To complete the upgrade process from a Kerbal Account to a Private Division Account we will ask for your Country, Date of Birth, and a Display Name. Your Country and Date of Birth is required for account eligibility purposes. 

We will also require you to agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which have been used when making a Kerbal Account. These can already be found here: https://www.take2games.com/legal/ and here: https://www.take2games.com/privacy/  

What will happen to my Kerbal Account? 
If you have a Kerbal Account, we advise you to upgrade your account to a Private Division Account. All previous Kerbal Accounts will be rolled into a new Private Division Account on Tuesday, August 31st, and it’ll be the only place for you to access the KSP client direct downloads. 

What will happen to my forum account? 
Your forum account will remain a separate login from your Private Division Account. We are exploring opportunities to allow you to login to the forum and other places using your Private Division Account credentials in the near future. If anything changes regarding your existing forum login credentials, we will let you know in advance. 

How can I re-download Kerbal Space Program from my account? 
If you have purchased Kerbal Space Program or it’s expansions from the KSP webstore, you will need to upgrade your account to a Private Division Account in order to access those purchases. To upgrade your account, all you will need to do is enter your Kerbal Account credentials and follow the steps to complete the account creation once the page is live. 

------

UPDATE: The new Private Division Account is now live: https://account.privatedivision.com - here you can use your previous Kerbal Account email address and follow the steps to upgrade. You will be able to download KSP from the “Game Download” section of your profile.  If you didn’t have a Kerbal Account you can register for a new Private Division Account at the same link.

I do not like having to relogin to another website and agree to services that I don't want, all i want is to redownload my game and play with out having to agree to something that I don't even understand in these Terms of Service and or  Privacy Policy. Like why cant I just d/l my game file and play it with out having to login to another site. I wont be following the herd in this so good luck.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, Canopus said:

could i still transfer my purchase of KSP to steam?

The option to transfer KSP Store licenses to Steam is no longer available.  Update:  The option to transfer KSP Store licenses to Steam is only available for those who bought KSP before it originally came out on Steam, March 20, 2013. To do so please reach out to our support team with proof of your direct purchase receipt.

I got a email notice about this, but after going through all the hoops I can't download that latest version. The download stops with 172Kb to go.

This happens with my default browser Firefox. To make sure I tried that bloody Edge browser that Micro$oft supplies in Windows 10, but the same thing happens there.

I've paid for this program obviously and I'm really very, very annoyed about this.

Edited by Jananton
weird text replacement, feels like censorship

It's funny that buying a game directly at the developer and making sure that they do not have to provide a cut to an intermediate is punished at every corner: No discounts on DLCs like ever, and now being forced to create a new account with a company one has no interest of doing business with. Makes me really regret having supported SQUAD in the beginning.

Well, when KSP2 comes out there will be some 90% sale on steam and I can rebuy the game then. It certainly will be cheaper than buying the DLC directly from whatever company now pulls the strings.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, Canopus said:

could i still transfer my purchase of KSP to steam?

Update:  The option to transfer KSP Store licenses to Steam is only available for those who bought KSP before it originally came out on Steam, March 20, 2013. To do so please reach out to our support team with proof of your direct purchase receipt.

7 hours ago, cfds said:

No discounts on DLCs like ever, and now being forced to create a new account with a company one has no interest of doing business with. 

Discounts are offered from time to time. The base game as well as DLC for PC and console versions were most recently discounted during a sale in early July. 

As for creating a new account - To clarify, a brand new account will not need to be created.  Pre-existing Kerbal Accounts were migrated over into Private Division accounts automatically. Users will simply use their pre-existing Kerbal account login info to sign in via the same Account button in the upper right hand corner on KerbalSpaceProgram.com (this button will take you to the updated login page), and then some extra information will be asked to complete the process. (Country, Date of Birth, Display Name). 

17 hours ago, Jananton said:

I got a email notice about this, but after going through all the hoops I can't download that latest version. The download stops with 172Kb to go.

This happens with my default browser Firefox. To make sure I tried that bloody Edge browser that Micro$oft supplies in Windows 10, but the same thing happens there.

I've paid for this program obviously and I'm really very, very annoyed about this.

Sorry to hear that you're encountering this issue. Please reach out to support at https://support.privatedivision.com/ so they can look into this/assist. 

On 9/3/2021 at 6:14 PM, KSPStar said:

Discounts are offered from time to time. The base game as well as DLC for PC and console versions were most recently discounted during a sale in early July. 

Luckily I missed that, otherwise I might now regret to have thrown even more money into an account that I cannot use anymore without accepting another set of terms of service with a company I do not have any deals with...

KSP cured me from buying early access ever again, now it also cured me from buying directly from a developer ever again.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:11 PM, Jananton said:

I had this download halt issue too.  I've discovered that Private Division servers are giving a download authorization token of only 5 minutes (300 seconds).  So if your Internet connection is not fast enough, it will fail to download in full, for every browser you try, even if you downloaded it at 9% or 99%.

I already sent a support request asking them to fix their bad server configurations.

As the accounts were moved to Private Division servers, it may be for some impossible to download installation file. Download link expires after 5 minutes from download start and for almost 2GB file it is not enough time to download with slower connection.

So, get Free Download Manager (.org), which allows to resume interrupted download. Then repeatedly copy download link and update it in  Free Download Manager until finished.

Thank you very much Private Division for doing nothing with this issue.

52 minutes ago, chov79 said:

As the accounts were moved to Private Division servers, it may be for some impossible to download installation file. Download link expires after 5 minutes from download start and for almost 2GB file it is not enough time to download with slower connection.

Please know that the team is aware of the issue and is actively working to determine the cause of the issue as well as a resolution. 

Hi everybody,

Good news !

I got an email from Private Division.  The download issue is fixed. The 300 seconds expiring timestamp is still present in the download link, but it looks like now, it is probably just a limit for "starting" the download, not for "completing" it - I can't really know why, but it works.

I downloaded the last version, 1.12.2, it took 8 minutes and everything is fine.  I can open the ZIP file and everything.

On 9/3/2021 at 4:08 AM, cfds said:

It's funny that buying a game directly at the developer and making sure that they do not have to provide a cut to an intermediate is punished at every corner: No discounts on DLCs like ever, and now being forced to create a new account with a company one has no interest of doing business with. Makes me really regret having supported SQUAD in the beginning.

Well, when KSP2 comes out there will be some 90% sale on steam and I can rebuy the game then. It certainly will be cheaper than buying the DLC directly from whatever company now pulls the strings.

Curious, have you not been playing the game for the past years?  

While I wasn't too pleased to find the change of account, I don't regret supporting Squad back when I first purchased the game (have purchased a number of copies over the years for various reasons)

Things change.  That's what happens, and if you expect something to remain static for the rest of your life, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.   

On 9/8/2021 at 7:24 AM, chov79 said:

Download link expires after 5 minutes from download start and for almost 2GB file it is not enough time to download with slower connection.

This issue has been resolved. To those that were previously unable to download the game due to this issue, please try again. 

22 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Curious, have you not been playing the game for the past years?  

While I wasn't too pleased to find the change of account, I don't regret supporting Squad back when I first purchased the game (have purchased a number of copies over the years for various reasons)

Things change.  That's what happens, and if you expect something to remain static for the rest of your life, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.   

At least since version "1.0", I had the feeling that the success of KSP was despite SQUAD rather then because of them. As far as I am concerned, SQUAD has not developed a game, put provided a platform (or shall I say 'sandbox'?) for modders to create a game from. And that is just not worth the 20-odd euros I paid them. Especially since the they try (or tried) their best to tear down that platform twice a year.