How will you play KSP?

Klapaucius

I always play career in KSP, unmodded, usually >hard, currently trying a 40%/40%/100% (sci funds rep) playthrough, with revert and save/reload.

Previous playthrough "Hard Science" was 10% sci,  with funds and rep at 100% which I found fun but didnt get to finish it before the Final Approach update.

I like finding ways around the challenges restrictions create and min-maxing mission craft.

I also find progression in a career creates a sense of a narrative/history and rescuing crew helps to give them characterful significance.

I agree the KSP1 mission system leaves a little to be desired but I pick the best and leave the rest. There are a lot of pitfall missions generated which are basically unworkable but by now I know what to avoid.

Am looking forward to trying out whatever Nate & Co have cooked up for progression play, probably default settings for the first playthrough though.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

He didn't say to what degree things will need to be unlocked (to my knowledge); it could be just referring to, say, needing an orbital colony to build some massive engine since it won't even fit in the KSC VAB.

I happen to rather like having EVERYTHING at my fingertips at all times.

Spoiler

U N L I M I T E D

P O W E R

On 9/27/2021 at 8:43 PM, Azimech said:

The editor is the major selling point of KSP1. The whole space stuff ... nah.

Except you're wrong because most of the marketing has to do with making space travel and physics accessible to a wider audience. The editor is a necessity to KSP's goals.

Well, quite frankly, if it's bigger than the VAB, either it should take up more launchpads (I think there was going to be a grid of four of them? So you might be able to combine them?), and maybe require say a single week of construction time (never longer than a week, don't want to play "waiting for something interesting" simulator unless on a hohman transfer orbit where it's mostly unavoidable), but the point is that you'd never be able to build a rocket that has parts that are bigger than the planetary VAB (which should have exactly one size, for both colonies and Kerbin, to get rid of a potentially confusing "why isn't this working now" issue that might arise otherwise).

To be honest, I think that one of the things that needs to happen with KSP 2's "sandbox" mode is that it needs to have an already-in-place orbital VAB in Kerbin orbit, specifically so you can test your "too big for the planetary VAB" designs somewhere without having to launch the dang orbital shipyard first.
And of course, the requirement to provide the materials to that Kerbin-orbit Orbital VAB would be removed in Sandbox mode too, because nobody wants to wait for 1000 tons or more of rocket parts to be shipped up to orbit on who knows how many rocket launches, even if you can time-warp thru that process.

That should neatly solve the "you can't launch a ship this big from the ground" problems, would it not?

I mean sure, we all enjoy the "10k ton rocket to get a 1k ton payload to orbit" kind of things, but in reality those things would have to be launched like the Sea Dragon (aka towed out to the middle of the ocean, fueled up, and launched in a way that does not require something that could rightly be called a "launchpad", so something like this:

Sea Dragon Launch

Now that I think of it, using that "ocean launch" method, you might in fact be able to launch something like a smaller Orion drive craft from the "surface" of the planet after all (provided that the Orion Drive part you choose can in fact fit out the planetary VAB's door), but you'd have to be clever about it.
You couldn't use the Orion drive right from the sea, because the hydrostatic pressures that the orion drive pulse unit would produce in the water surrounding at least the lower part of your craft would be certain to render it crushed into quite an unrecognizable shape.
You'd have to get it out of the water first, which would likely be a good place for using a lot of large SRBs. Kinda like this, but from the surface of the ocean:

Orion Drive interstellar ark launch from the ground (sorta)

So you'd still be able to make your "absurdly big rockets", provided you kept each part of it small enough to be fit out the VAB door, and you don't mind not launching anything for a week while it's constructed on all 4 of the launch pads, and then maybe waiting a little bit more for it to get towed out to the ocean launch point.

Career. Heavily modded career. I don't like playing KSP sandbox mode, and I don't expect I'll like it in KSP2 either. But the game should support both modes equally, because different people want to get different things out of it.