[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.18 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

Get to another planet in real time, then we'll talk.

(or come up with a solution that allows time-warping)

I doubt multi-player or coop will be added soon if ever.

But they could easily just add in warping for individual's ships, could even make it be a warp drive part.

Your ship's speed is multiplied and all it's actions are sped up, but the universes time remains the same.

Basically making a time travel bubble for just your ship.

Breaks fundamental laws of the real world, but this is a video game.

I just landed on Eve. That place is unexplorable without rovers. A simple little rover would make my day.

well there is always Tosh's carts plugin. I think the devs were talking about adding something similar to the game, but i don't remember where.

But they could easily just add in warping for individual's ships, could even make it be a warp drive part.

Your ship's speed is multiplied and all it's actions are sped up, but the universes time remains the same.

Tis' genius!

what about the planets? if you aim at a planet, and instead of time accelerating you "warp" in a time bubble around the ship, the planet would not be anywhere near where you would need it to be.

like to see a economy in easy form(you still have infinite money), it could be easy implented.

its funny to compare the price of your rocket with your friends. it could break open a new challenges too with price costs challenges.

also one of the buildings added would be good;

-testing room: parachute stress test drop, landing legs test, wobble shake-room test, anything you want test to before launching and finding out after a hour gaming a part is failing.

-robotic building: build your own robots or rovers. it has own smaller parts. it can be moved to VAB building in his POD from robotic building, that POD is a lot much lighter so also easier then manned pods.

-mission control centre; video on mainpage is a hint its coming? i hope it can takeover something from mechjeb as assisted interplanetair tranfers.

-launchpad, design your own launch pad.

-robotic building: build your own robots or rovers. it has own smaller parts. it can be moved to VAB building in his POD from robotic building, that POD is a lot much lighter so also easier then manned pods.

Now that is an amazing Idea, I would love to see this impemented at some point.

There is not much I really am asking for from 0.18, but possibly a big sound update, as the game feels too silent at the moment (I know it is silent in space, I mean elsewhere!) introducing audio for simple actions like the sound of dust being blown up by the engine, footsteps from walking kerbals, parts clinking/thuding when they fall off and hit the ground, an electronic hum inside the cockpits. You would not be able to hear these outside the craft in space but in cockpit view you would be able to hear them. Also the camera in the cockpit view moving acording to stress/G-levels.

Edited by zpox357

like to see a economy in easy form(you still have infinite money), it could be easy implented.

its funny to compare the price of your rocket with your friends. it could break open a new challenges too with price costs challenges.

also one of the buildings added would be good;

-testing room: parachute stress test drop, landing legs test, wobble shake-room test, anything you want test to before launching and finding out after a hour gaming a part is failing.

I think the testing room sounds like a great idea. It would be neat if you could simulate things ahead of time, for example, you might want to test your lander's capabilities as it enters into Duna's atmosphere, and you could type in the orbital parameters you want, select the craft (and the specific stages) you want and just test-fly it without the hassle of an actual mission. Another neat idea would be some sort of wind tunnel to test the aerodynamics of your space-plane.

Harv actually mentioned a wind tunnel being on their wishlist in this thread, which I would be pretty excited to see, since I've been wanting to see one ever since they announced CoM/CoT/CoL. Really, you'd be able to test every part of the flight except touch-downs in it.

There's also the standard things to hope for in the next update: weather, cities, reentry effects. But I'm hoping for some kind of new building like a wind tunnel or testing facility. I know a looong time ago, one of the devs mentioned adding an observatory. It sounded like a pretty cool idea at the time, if I'm remembering correctly. You'd use it to discover planets and gather info on them.

From the sound of it though, I'd be willing to bet they'll put these kind of things off until a later update and save .18 for polishing things up.

what about the planets? if you aim at a planet, and instead of time accelerating you "warp" in a time bubble around the ship, the planet would not be anywhere near where you would need it to be.

The orbital mechanics of when to shoot for certain planets of course would be different. It is just something you would have to get used to.

Would love it if they could optimise the game so it runs better. Is it still limited to a single cpu core? I have 3 wasted physical cores and like12 virtual cores in that case. If the game runs easier then bigger ships are possible. Also a way to right click and toggle engines on and off.

someone a bit further back made mention of probes and rovers, both good ideas but both available as mods. what I would like to see is a robotic rover that does the roving round itself, you land it and it does the rest... because lets face it we get to these planets and moons, drive around for the best part of 5 mins and then either end flight or start making a return journey. it could collect stuff along the way like rocks or bits of info on certain areas

someone a bit further back made mention of probes and rovers, both good ideas but both available as mods.

I would like NOT to rely on mods. I know KSP is in early alpha stage, but seeing how, after not even after two weeks since 0.17 is out, most people have tons of mods make it sounding like "yeah, great game you have, but, there isn't enough for me in."

Also, developers MAY behave in the same way and delay many little but interesting things "just because mods add them".

I might install rovers and probes mods soon, but before that, I want to know the game anough to get on another planet with a 1 man and 3 men capsules. Stock. No MechJeb, nothing.

So, well, I'm not the only one to ask, but I'll like to see probes and rovers. I feel like docking and IVA should happen when the game will be developed enough. I mean, what's the point in docking if you can just, well, dock?

IMO docking would become interesting when there will be at least a better way to get on a precise orbit and return to it, and Kerbonauts will be able to interact a little, doing things like conducting experiences, driving a satellite from space station, etc...

Of course, everyone would like to see what he's most interesting into ASAP.

We have 14 celestial bodies. Let's explore :D

I have ONE REQUEST for what is in 0.18, and its such a tiny thing, i'm surprised it was not included with 0.16!!!

its REALLY needed, especially since we now have Spaceplanes, and EVAs.

So, what happens right now if you are flying thru the air in your spaceplane and you go on EVA, then LET GO OF THE PLANE?

You fall out of the sky and go splat on the ground, or you become fish food in the ocean.

Why is this? Its simple, really.

NO CHUTE!!!

Why the heck would you NOT wear a parachute when you get into an untested aircraft for the first flight of anything remotely resembling it?!?

Seriously, even taking the generally-accepted consensus that Kerbals are not the brightest of "intelligent" life forms out there, if they already have parachutes for the space capsules, why would they not have personal parachutes? After all, the concept of a personal parachute was described long before anyone thought of using one on an inanimate object, at least in the case of the human race.

NO CHUTE!!!

Why the heck would you NOT wear a parachute when you get into an untested aircraft for the first flight of anything remotely resembling it?!?

I actually assumed they'd have chutes the first time I tried it...I assumed wrong. SPLAT! I'd love a chute for bailouts.

My best guesses are:

Proper implementation of heat including:

- Reentry heat + animations, perhaps including a heat shield/radiator part

- Heat animations for all engines and some parts (notice as of .17 not all engines have this yet)

- Some kind of interface or control to view the temperatures of all parts / IV temp.

Tweaking of existing parts such as:

- Folding sounds for the larger space landing gear (does not have as of 0.17)

- Better implementation of an air-breathing model including tweaks to the engines and use of the air intakes/nacelles

- Possible engine/part rebalancing (again)

New stock utility parts such as

- smaller/larger landing gear for space planes

- Part adapters and cones that can also carry fuel

Better IVA implementation such as

- Improved IVA controls, guages, etc. (does any one else find the current ones very hard to see?)

- Actual screens and data displays for all of the command modules/cockpits

I have ONE REQUEST for what is in 0.18, and its such a tiny thing, i'm surprised it was not included with 0.16!!!

its REALLY needed, especially since we now have Spaceplanes, and EVAs.

So, what happens right now if you are flying thru the air in your spaceplane and you go on EVA, then LET GO OF THE PLANE?

You fall out of the sky and go splat on the ground, or you become fish food in the ocean.

NO CHUTE!!!

Seriously, even taking the generally-accepted consensus that Kerbals are not the brightest of "intelligent" life forms out there, if they already have parachutes for the space capsules, why would they not have personal parachutes? After all, the concept of a personal parachute was described long before anyone thought of using one on an inanimate object, at least in the case of the human race.

i think the only ones without shoots would be kurt kerman, and jeb kerman but i could be wrong...

KSP uses Unity Punk, which does not properly support multithreading, read more here :)

Random question about that, if unity comes out with an update, could ksp be ported to the newer version on unity? or is ksp stuck in one version? id imagine all the coding would be the same if you went to a newer update, just would have more features. maybe a feature being support for multi threading.

I think the frame rate improved personally :/ but that's just my computer

I just hope the team mobilizes on docking already, Erkle has got plenty of headway on the concept but it's current stage is pretty buggy