[1.9 - 1.12+] TrekDrive - A Star Trek-like Warp Drive by ShadowWorks v1.0.3b The Galileo Seven (Hotfix) [27-03-2022]

TheShadow1138

Happy New Year!

v1.0.3 - The Galileo Seven

v1.0.3 - The Galileo Seven
* Added Type F Shuttlecraft (all parts have two texture variants)
    * Main Hull (crew capacity of 7)
    * Impulse Engine
    * Warp Core
    * Type F Warp Nacelles (Port & Starboard)
* Added warpEffectParent.mu (an empty transform model)
    This model is in "TrekDrive/Generic" along with usage instructions
* Added a WaterfallFX template for the TrekDrive warp stars effect to make it easier for others to add the effect to non-TrekDrive parts.
* Added Mirror Universe texture variants and registry/name variants for the Type F Shuttlecraft.
* Updated all parts with the SW_ModuleWarpGenertor module to have a warpEffectParent transform to standardize the transform to which the warp stars effect is parented. (Doesn't affect anything, all effects are intact and the same as before.)
* Updated all parts with RCS thrusters to use LqdDeuterium, removing MonoPropellant entirely from the parts.  To maintain propellant consumption rates all RCS thrusters' ISP were increased by a factor of 25.
* Updated surface attach node on NX-class warp nacelles allowing for sane surface attachment.
* Updated TrekDrive.dll to apply forward and reverse impulse thrust per-part instead of to the vessel as a whole (thrust vectoring still works).

The update to the impulse engine code shouldn't have any noticeable affect on your ships.  During testing of the Type F shuttlecraft it became apparent that for small vessels with warp nacelles mounted off-axis that as they fill with warp plasma the center of mass shifts enough that thrust vectoring may not be able to stabilize the craft.  It seems that there is either a lag in the application of thrust at the COM, or the applyForce command doesn't actually update the COM every frame.  Anyway, it works without issue, and as I said should have no noticeable impact on any other vessels.

I'm having trouble using the warp drive with the constitution parts. As far as I know the ship is correctly assembled. When in orbit I activated the warp core, charged both nacelles and ensured that all resource levels were full. When I check ready status the drive still reads not ready. Is there something I'm missing? I could use the warp drive on the F-type shuttle so I'm really confused.

7 hours ago, stormhawk427 said:

I'm having trouble using the warp drive with the constitution parts. As far as I know the ship is correctly assembled. When in orbit I activated the warp core, charged both nacelles and ensured that all resource levels were full. When I check ready status the drive still reads not ready. Is there something I'm missing? I could use the warp drive on the F-type shuttle so I'm really confused.

I just did a quick test to make sure it is in fact working, and I was able to get the Constitution-class ship to orbit and go to warp.  I think I have figured out what the problem is.  I'm assuming that there was a Type-F shuttlecraft in the shuttle bay.  Apparently, I overlooked something in the check status code on the warp drive.  Instead of checking to see if the minimum number of nacelles are charged before allowing the drive to be engaged, it's checking to see if all attached nacelles are charged.

I checked this by putting a Type-F shuttle in the bay and I could not get the drive to enter the "Ready" state until the nacelles on the shuttle had also been completely charged.  This is definitely not an ideal situation.  I'll have to change the code so that it only checks to see if the required number of nacelles are charged.  So, if the drive is set up to have at least 2 nacelles, so long as two nacelles are charged, it should be able to enter the "Ready" state.  Of course, that would technically mean that you could charge two nacelles on shuttles in the bay and be able to go to warp with the mothership.  I'm not sure if there would be other issues with nacelles on shuttles while the mothership is at warp.  I guess we'll find out.  I may end up removing any warp capability from shuttles if it becomes too much of a hassle, but we'll see.

For the time being (until I update the plugin) you'll just need to charge the nacelles of any Type-F shuttles on your ship before you can go to warp.  It's not the greatest workaround, but it's what we have at the moment.

Edit:  Turned out to be a much easier fix than I thought.  I already posted the hotfix.

Edited by TheShadow1138

TrekDrive v1.0.3a Hotfix

v1.0.3a - Warp Drive Hotfix
* Updated TrekDrive.dll
    * Updated the CheckStatus function to check if the minimum number of nacelles
      have been charged instead of all nacelles on the ship. Fixes an issue where
      embarked warp-capable shuttles prevents the mothership from going to warp.
    * Updated the warp coil code so that coils that are not charged will not try to
      drain themselves and prevent the ship from going to warp if the minimum number
      of nacelles are in fact charged.

This is a quick hotfix that should solve an issue related to docking warp-capable craft with a larger warp-capable mothership (i.e. a Type-F shuttle in the bay of a Constitution-class ship).  Thanks to @stormhawk427 for finding this issue, that thankfully had a fairly easy and quick fix (I literally changed one variable and added one extra condition).  This should prevent this issue from popping up again.  Let me know if any other issues, new or old pop up.

I love the Type F  Shuttlecraft and i now am using it extensively....suitable for short trips to the Mun and Minus and some Kerbin (domestic) missions. But there is no IVA (In vehicle activity) at all..I can't see what the kerbals are doing inside Type F shuttlecraft...will you make the inferior of Shuttlecraft please by fixing it?

And how to dock inside the bay (the hangner) of Mothership? there is no way to dock it

Edited by kennyc222

5 hours ago, kennyc222 said:

I love the Type F  Shuttlecraft and i now am using it extensively....suitable for short trips to the Mun and Minus and some Kerbin (domestic) missions. But there is no IVA (In vehicle activity) at all..I can't see what the kerbals are doing inside Type F shuttlecraft...will you make the inferior of Shuttlecraft please by fixing it?

And how to dock inside the bay (the hangner) of Mothership? there is no way to dock it

I'm glad you're enjoying the Type F Shuttlecraft.  I do plan to do an IVA eventually, but I don't know when it will get done.

As for docking the shuttlecraft, it can only be docked in the Constitution-class ship.  There are no visible docking ports/mechanisms they are set up only with invisible transforms.  In the shuttle bay of the Constitution-class ship you will see four "parking spaces" marked out in yellow.  You will need to maneuver the shuttle so that it is over one of these spaces, and then move it downward using its RCS.  With the shuttle near the center of one of the "parking spaces" it should start experiencing the "magnetic" attraction of the docking ports until it successfully docks.  It will work, as I just tested it to make absolutely certain that it works.  Let me know if you have any issues, and happy flying.

57 minutes ago, TheShadow1138 said:

I'm glad you're enjoying the Type F Shuttlecraft.  I do plan to do an IVA eventually, but I don't know when it will get done.

As for docking the shuttlecraft, it can only be docked in the Constitution-class ship.  There are no visible docking ports/mechanisms they are set up only with invisible transforms.  In the shuttle bay of the Constitution-class ship you will see four "parking spaces" marked out in yellow.  You will need to maneuver the shuttle so that it is over one of these spaces, and then move it downward using its RCS.  With the shuttle near the center of one of the "parking spaces" it should start experiencing the "magnetic" attraction of the docking ports until it successfully docks.  It will work, as I just tested it to make absolutely certain that it works.  Let me know if you have any issues, and happy flying.

thanks..that will be great if you do IVA for both Constitution-class ship and Type F Shuttlecraft..so that i will see how are the Kerbals doing inside the ships and IVA should be fancy inside those ships..

Actually, I may use Mechjeb to autodock the shuttecraft to Constitution-class ship and it still works. and invisible transforms make me more difficult to dock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fantastic mod, but I've found parts of the main ships to be rather... eh... floppy, especially when changing direction or in the atmosphere. I have both autostrut and rigid attachment enabled,  have kjr downloaded and enabled, and tried placing external struts, but certain parts still insist on bending all over the place when outside the sph build mode. Would anyone happen to know how to fix this issue, be it another mod or by editing the part config files?

1 hour ago, mr. engino said:

Fantastic mod, but I've found parts of the main ships to be rather... eh... floppy, especially when changing direction or in the atmosphere. I have both autostrut and rigid attachment enabled,  have kjr downloaded and enabled, and tried placing external struts, but certain parts still insist on bending all over the place when outside the sph build mode. Would anyone happen to know how to fix this issue, be it another mod or by editing the part config files?

I did have this happen after initially updating to KSP 1.12+, but defining rigid attachment to be true in all the part CFGs fixed that months ago, for me any way.  I personally haven't used autostrut on the ships, and I don't have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed, so I don't know if that could be negating the CFG defined rigid attachment.  My guess is that that wouldn't be the cause though.  Do you have any mods installed that auto-scale parts or anything like that?

I'm trying to think of what could cause this for you, but not for others.  If there is anything that might be altering the mass of the parts, maybe that's causing issues, but other than that I'm not sure what would be causing it.

10 minutes ago, TheShadow1138 said:

I did have this happen after initially updating to KSP 1.12+, but defining rigid attachment to be true in all the part CFGs fixed that months ago, for me any way.  I personally haven't used autostrut on the ships, and I don't have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed, so I don't know if that could be negating the CFG defined rigid attachment.  My guess is that that wouldn't be the cause though.  Do you have any mods installed that auto-scale parts or anything like that?

I'm trying to think of what could cause this for you, but not for others.  If there is anything that might be altering the mass of the parts, maybe that's causing issues, but other than that I'm not sure what would be causing it.

I do have tweakscale installed, though I don't use it for these parts; is it possible it's causing issues just by having it installed?

A follow-up to my above post. I have uninstalled tweakscale, did not notice any differences. However, when I adjusted the settings for KJR the parts stabilized when autostrut was set to heaviest part, the sole exception being the impulse engines, though a few struts added to them fixed that.

10 hours ago, mr. engino said:

A follow-up to my above post. I have uninstalled tweakscale, did not notice any differences. However, when I adjusted the settings for KJR the parts stabilized when autostrut was set to heaviest part, the sole exception being the impulse engines, though a few struts added to them fixed that.

I'm glad you've been able to mitigate the issue.  The only other thing I might suggest is that maybe the way Kerbal Joint Reinforcement works, overrides some of the stock behaviors for attachment rigidity that causes the joints to be "floppy" when rigid attachment is set to true in the part CFGs.  That would be kind of funny though if KJR was actually causing loose joints.  Maybe, as a test, uninstall KJR and see if the problem persists. Either way it seems you have a workaround so that you can still use KJR and TrekDrive.

1 hour ago, TheShadow1138 said:

I'm glad you've been able to mitigate the issue.  The only other thing I might suggest is that maybe the way Kerbal Joint Reinforcement works, overrides some of the stock behaviors for attachment rigidity that causes the joints to be "floppy" when rigid attachment is set to true in the part CFGs.  That would be kind of funny though if KJR was actually causing loose joints.  Maybe, as a test, uninstall KJR and see if the problem persists. Either way it seems you have a workaround so that you can still use KJR and TrekDrive.

I uninstalled KJR, it seems to have improved the joint connections somewhat, but there  is still some wobble in the impulse engines. I'm not sure how to fix that beyond adding external struts.

21 hours ago, mr. engino said:

I uninstalled KJR, it seems to have improved the joint connections somewhat, but there  is still some wobble in the impulse engines. I'm not sure how to fix that beyond adding external struts.

Follow up number 2, I asked on the KSP discord about how to improve part stability, someone said that increasing the attachment node size can reduce part wobble. So, by increasing the node sizes for the impulse engines, that should make them stiff; I'll experiment with the config files and see what happens, and reply with the results. For sanity's sake I am NOT touching the config files again.

Edited by mr. engino

On 2/4/2022 at 8:15 PM, mr. engino said:

Follow up number 2, I asked on the KSP discord about how to improve part stability, someone said that increasing the attachment node size can reduce part wobble. So, by increasing the node sizes for the impulse engines, that should make them stiff; I'll experiment with the config files and see what happens, and reply with the results. For sanity's sake I am NOT touching the config files again.

I'm honestly at a loss.  I can't think of what could possibly be causing this for you.  How have you installed the mod, manually or CKAN?  Could you provide a mod list, or a screenshot of your GameData folder?  I'd like to see if we can figure out what's going on.  I haven't had anyone else say that they've experienced this, but if we can figure it out, then maybe we can fix it so that no one has to deal with it in the future.

• 1 month later...

Amazing mod, love it, but i seem to get NullReferenceException spam in the console when using the Constitution class Bridge, engineering and NX bridge. 
Actually, even the impulse drives spam, most of engine parts do, i wonder if this could be an issue of my install or is it happening in general? Did i forget something?
screenshot7.png

Edited by Zarbon44
better res pic

2 hours ago, Zarbon44 said:

Amazing mod, love it, but i seem to get NullReferenceException spam in the console when using the Constitution class Bridge, engineering and NX bridge. 
Actually, even the impulse drives spam, most of engine parts do, i wonder if this could be an issue of my install or is it happening in general? Did i forget something?
screenshot7.png

Firstly, thank you.  I'm not sure why you're getting NRE spamming.  There were some issues with some earlier versions of the TrekDrive plugin that would cause NRE spamming, either all the time, or just in the editor, or just in flight.  I doubled checked the current version of the plugin and don't see any NREs being thrown.  You seem to be using the TUFX configs, which I don't personally use, so I'm wondering if that might be the source of the NREs.  I say this because if you're getting them with the Constitution-class bridge, my plugin doesn't add any special modules to that part, so those definitely aren't TrekDrive related.  I did test a full ship, both NX-class and Constitution-class and didn't get any NREs under impulse power, or warp power.  I did find, however, that the plugin was spamming to the log about how many nacelles are charged while traveling at warp speed, so I have posted a small update that removes that log spam.

Have you removed any part of the mod, or any of the dependencies?  Did you install via CKAN?  I assume that installation through CKAN would not cause issues, but it might be possible that it didn't pick up the correct version of the plugin.  If you did install from CKAN, you might want to download the mod from Spacedock and copy over the plugin from the Spacedock download.  That's the only case I can think of, if the NREs are actually being thrown by the TrekDrive plugin.  My guess is that it's not coming from the TrekDrive plugin, but maybe the TUFX or some other plugin that is being added to the parts through a ModuleManager patch, but it's not finding the necessary module or plugin.  If none of these suggestions helps, could you post your Log so that maybe I can figure out what's going on.

Hotfix Update:

TrekDrive v1.0.3b Hotfix Update

v1.0.3b - Log Spam Hotfix
* Updated TrekDrive.dll to remove spamming the debug log with the number of warp
coils that are charged.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:32 AM, TheShadow1138 said:

Firstly, thank you.  I'm not sure why you're getting NRE spamming.  There were some issues with some earlier versions of the TrekDrive plugin that would cause NRE spamming, either all the time, or just in the editor, or just in flight.  I doubled checked the current version of the plugin and don't see any NREs being thrown.  You seem to be using the TUFX configs, which I don't personally use, so I'm wondering if that might be the source of the NREs.  I say this because if you're getting them with the Constitution-class bridge, my plugin doesn't add any special modules to that part, so those definitely aren't TrekDrive related.  I did test a full ship, both NX-class and Constitution-class and didn't get any NREs under impulse power, or warp power.  I did find, however, that the plugin was spamming to the log about how many nacelles are charged while traveling at warp speed, so I have posted a small update that removes that log spam.

Have you removed any part of the mod, or any of the dependencies?  Did you install via CKAN?  I assume that installation through CKAN would not cause issues, but it might be possible that it didn't pick up the correct version of the plugin.  If you did install from CKAN, you might want to download the mod from Spacedock and copy over the plugin from the Spacedock download.  That's the only case I can think of, if the NREs are actually being thrown by the TrekDrive plugin.  My guess is that it's not coming from the TrekDrive plugin, but maybe the TUFX or some other plugin that is being added to the parts through a ModuleManager patch, but it's not finding the necessary module or plugin.  If none of these suggestions helps, could you post your Log so that maybe I can figure out what's going on.

Hotfix Update:

TrekDrive v1.0.3b Hotfix Update

v1.0.3b - Log Spam Hotfix
* Updated TrekDrive.dll to remove spamming the debug log with the number of warp
coils that are charged.

Sorry for the late response but it seems i did find the issue. I did install with CKAM and did reinstall manually later as well when testing some ideas. But turns out it was caused by Throttle Controlled Avionics mod, same issue affected the Blueshift warp coils, which after checking the log, seem to throw NRE related to TCA, which led to me to try uninstalling TCA, which fixed the NRE spam.

In other news, i continue enjoying the mod immensely, it looks wonderful and i hope more ships of this quality will be added! (Fingers crossed for Intrepid Class)
screenshot24.png
screenshot19.png
screenshot18.png

Edited by Zarbon44
screenshots

4 hours ago, Zarbon44 said:

Sorry for the late response but it seems i did find the issue. I did install with CKAM and did reinstall manually later as well when testing some ideas. But turns out it was caused by Throttle Controlled Avionics mod, same issue affected the Blueshift warp coils, which after checking the log, seem to throw NRE related to TCA, which led to me to try uninstalling TCA, which fixed the NRE spam.

In other news, i continue enjoying the mod immensely, it looks wonderful and i hope more ships of this quality will be added! (Fingers crossed for Intrepid Class)
screenshot24.png
screenshot19.png
screenshot18.png

i'm glad you were able to figure out what was causing the NRE spamming.  Awesome screenshots, very cinematic!  I currently have the Constitution-class Refit from the films in production.  It's fully modeled and I have the saucer section (bridge, saucer, impulse engines) UV unwrapped.  I've kinda stalled out with other obligations and slight waning of motivation.  I keep reminding myself that it's there.  It will get done...eventually.  Part of it is, admittedly, self-induced anxiety because I want the textures to do the model justice, and right now the model looks absolutely gorgeous in my opinion.  But, like I said, it will get done.

As for other ships, I do plan on the Miranda-class, but haven't made any commitments beyond that.  I have this "lofty" idea of making some generic components (saucers, bridges, engineering hulls, pylons, nacelles) that would go together and could be mixed and matched to create multiple unique ships.  I would base these parts on existing designs, not necessarily recreate existing designs.  I haven't settled on anything yet, but that's something I'm thinking of.

I have some weird temporal anomalies going on in my KSP! 

20220401_111122.jpg

screenshot101.png

screenshot84.png

I gathered other star trek vessels I found around the web, but yours are the ones with most thought and care put into, keep up the great work,and I can't wait for that Miranda class! Gotta have that wrath of khan showdown. 

I will share more pictures here, I'm planning exploring different planet packs on a NX Refit ship. 

Edited by Zarbon44
More screens, oops