[v0.8.0] The Skyhawk Science System - a new BDB-focused tech tree

CessnaSkyhawk

I have a question for people that will help me decide science balance. What are people's opinions on how many times an experiment needs to be run to provide full science value? In stock, a lot of the experiments require multiple runs (eg you have to visit a situation at least 2-3 times) to get the full science data, but in a lot of modded tech trees, they bring it down to getting all the science in one run. I'm just wondering what one people tend to prefer.  I'm thinking that making it require multiple visits to get the full science for some experiments, so that you are encouraged to send multiple interplanetary flybys or orbiters (like in real life where its not just a one and done visit).  Naturally, if this is the case the total science available would be increased to make up for the reduced gain for each visit. (eg the current science reward rn is 16, so I'd make the total available reward something like 24 or 32, but the max amount obtainable at once 16, so you have to send two cameras up to get the full result.) This is specifically used for the custom experiments I use to encourage launching things like Comsats or the Transit Sats, but I'm also wondering about how people think I should do it for normal ones,

Edited by CessnaSkyhawk

2 minutes ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

I have a question for people that will help me decide science balance. What are people's opinions on how many times an experiment needs to be run to provide full science value? In stock, a lot of the experiments require multiple runs (eg you have to visit a situation at least 2-3 times) to get the full science data, but in a lot of modded tech trees, they bring it down to getting all the science in one run. I'm just wondering what one people tend to prefer.  I'm thinking that making it require multiple visits to get the full science for some experiments, so that you are encouraged to send multiple interplanetary flybys or orbiters (like in real life where its not just a one and done visit).  Naturally, if this is the case the total science available would be increased to make up for the reduced gain for each visit. (eg the current science reward rn is 16, so I'd make the total available reward something like 24 or 32, but the max amount obtainable at once 16, so you have to send two cameras up to get the full result.)

Looking forward to trying out this out.

I'd prefer the system where non-sample based experiments are always 100% on transmit/recovery, but sample based is only 100% on recovery, but much less (eg 50%) on transmit. Anything that requires a Kerbal to do (or reset), or is sample based should be more science points. That way if you send a probe you can do lots of biomes/situations with transmissions, but in total that'd only be about third of the total possible science somewhere (eg. Duna), so you have have a probe with return to get third more, and send a Kerbal to get the last third (roughly). That way the repetition is not tediously doing the same thing, but a different kind of mission/build.

14 hours ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

I have a question for people that will help me decide science balance. What are people's opinions on how many times an experiment needs to be run to provide full science value? In stock, a lot of the experiments require multiple runs (eg you have to visit a situation at least 2-3 times) to get the full science data, but in a lot of modded tech trees, they bring it down to getting all the science in one run. I'm just wondering what one people tend to prefer.  I'm thinking that making it require multiple visits to get the full science for some experiments, so that you are encouraged to send multiple interplanetary flybys or orbiters (like in real life where its not just a one and done visit).  Naturally, if this is the case the total science available would be increased to make up for the reduced gain for each visit. (eg the current science reward rn is 16, so I'd make the total available reward something like 24 or 32, but the max amount obtainable at once 16, so you have to send two cameras up to get the full result.) This is specifically used for the custom experiments I use to encourage launching things like Comsats or the Transit Sats, but I'm also wondering about how people think I should do it for normal ones,

I, for one, would love to see this in KSP, but I think it should be optional. This probably isn't everyone's cup of tea, but having it available for those who like it would make career mode more interesting.

5 hours ago, MoeKitsune said:

I, for one, would love to see this in KSP, but I think it should be optional. This probably isn't everyone's cup of tea, but having it available for those who like it would make career mode more interesting.

Seconding this.  It would work particularly well with a BDB-specific tree, as there are many duplicate experiments and it would encourage sending more advanced probes on follow up missions.  Early probes provide a partial and proportionally lower % of the science available for a given experiment (which is OK, as you don't need so much science in the early tree anyway) and you need to send a follow up with more advanced tech to capture the remaining science.  Finally a use for all those magnetometers!