I want several camera parts that can send back images to Kerbin (either as recovery or transfer) and that they should give science when received. There should also be a tab in the R&D interface that allows players to see those images. In the VAB information tab, it should stand whether the images have colors (yes, early game cameras should be B&W only) and their image resolution, The image list in the R&D should say planet, location/altitude , date/time, data value, science value and camera type for each image.

(+Effects (noise and/or low resolution) and less science if transmitted from a high distance/using a weak antenna?)

I like the idea of in-game camera parts if for nothing other than the "Historic Moments" aspect. 

My first-ever Mun landing will be forever lost because I didn't know I could take a screenshot. If there had been cameras, it'd have been much more on my radar. Plus it's just a cool nod to real world spaceflight, especially Apollo; much like the Breaking Ground surface experiments. 

35 minutes ago, Ahres said:

I like the idea of in-game camera parts if for nothing other than the "Historic Moments" aspect. 

My first-ever Mun landing will be forever lost because I didn't know I could take a screenshot. If there had been cameras, it'd have been much more on my radar. Plus it's just a cool nod to real world spaceflight, especially Apollo; much like the Breaking Ground surface experiments. 

Heck yeah!

I really like this idea perhaps cameras later in tech development could function as point of view for example a camera on a docking port and live video feed. 

in addition I think the ability for kerbals to move around inside a ship could be great. 

13 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I'd say I like the idea, but in real world, photos give the least scientific data of all instruments on any spacecraft. You won't learn much from a picture of a rock.

What you say is true, and yet in the early days - and indeed even today - cameras play a huge part in space exploration.

In addition to science, they could also enhance reputation, just think of all that publicity when the first images of Pluto (for example) came back to Earth and hit our TV screens.

I've said for a very long time, KSP need cameras. It never got them as stock, but maybe we'll see them in KSP2?

Oh but yes, they're useful for reconnaissance (but we can look at what we're doing in real time, we don't have to wait for a photo from a rover to see if the terrain is good enough for driving through) and as you said PR (but we don't know if there's gonna be any public to judge our space program, devs are silent about that). But we got pictures from Venus and Titan's surface, both worlds covered by thick layer of clouds and of course that was good to get a hint of how the surface may look like (rocks everywhere) but we learned a lot more (as in, gained science points) once we got radar pictures of the whole surface from an orbiter (and in Titan's case, even what the lakes are made of).

I'd say yes for cameras, but maybe... Infrared?

Edited by The Aziz

40 minutes ago, jastrone said:

but they will learn from measuring the temperature? or the preassure? or some goo?

Well, yes. Goo is just a way to observe how something behaves in different environment (which is done on ISS, a bunch of material samples have been exposed to space for extended period of time to see how they react). Temperature and pressure are relatively often changing variables (day/night/ground level/high up in the air/nice weather/storm/whatever) so they give a lot of info on how to prepare a spacecraft for a mission to certain planet. I know that KSP parts are everythingproof, the same fuel tank will work on the light side of Moho and dark side of Eeloo, but then nobody knows how science is going to work in the sequel either, so that's open.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, qwery123 said:

I want several camera parts that can send back images to Kerbin (either as recovery or transfer) and that they should give science when received. There should also be a tab in the R&D interface that allows players to see those images. In the VAB information tab, it should stand whether the images have colors (yes, early game cameras should be B&W only) and their image resolution, The image list in the R&D should say planet, location/altitude , date/time, data value, science value and camera type for each image.

(+Effects (noise and/or low resolution) and less science if transmitted from a high distance/using a weak antenna?)

There are several camera mods already, maybe one of then can be adapted?

On 9/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, qwery123 said:

Following up my post, here are a few camera mods:

Docking Cam: 

Hullcam VDS Continued:

Neptune Camera:

16 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I'd say yes for cameras, but maybe... Infrared?

They could be configurable so you could set them to take photos, use infrared, etc. in the VAB maybe?

Someone said in another thread the developers have claimed planets in other solar systems in KSP2, will not be visible until discovered through gameplay.  I just have this childish obsession with the idea of the scientists at the KSC (and the players at their monitors), eagerly watching the first grainy images of a new world being received from some far distant probe.  I suspect when Luna 3 transmitted the images it took of the far side of the moon, they would have been transmitted back, line by line, with the eyes of those receiving them out on stocks as the clapping and cheering brought the house down!  That's what I'd like to see in an early career of KSP2 (KSP1 too if someone would create a mod).

Of course more sophisticated cameras would become available as more technology became available, so we'd end up getting images like what the real world gets today.

@ linuxgurugamer: Thanks for posting the links to the camera mods.  That Neptune Camera looks very interesting indeed; I think I'm going to go take a closer look at that one!

On 9/12/2021 at 2:57 AM, The Aziz said:

I'd say I like the idea, but in real world, photos give the least scientific data of all instruments on any spacecraft. You won't learn much from a picture of a rock.

I was in third grade when the first photos of Jupiter were sent from Voyager.  That was pretty mind blowing.

And I was no less intrigued decades later to see Pluto up close.

I just hope I live long enough for another Cassini-like mission to Neptune and Uranus--I reckon there are some amazing images waiting to be taken.

cameras utilized as place-able control and view points could be great

for example a camera on a docking port allowing  you to dock more easily

also on the subject of docking I think something along the lines(literally) of a new rotational indicator is called for. this is what I mean:

this would be a very simple easy to use tool that would automatically engage once you get within 15 metres of your targeted docking port

it would consist of two displays showing two lines each. one display xrot and yrot (rot=rotation) the line on the left part of either display would represent the docking port your controlling from and it's rotational alignment relative to the docking port your targeting. same deal with the other display. in order to use it you use your rcs to line up each of the lines(pun intended) once you do this you will be aligned along whichever axis corresponding to the left or right(left panel xrot right panel yrot) panel  that you chose to align first. once you have the your xrot or yrot aligned you simply repeat the process for the other side then translate linearly to the selected port(note this does not include rotational alignment along the longest axis of your ship although it certainly could). this concept could also work with a single curved line each end of which represents a port and your have to straighten said line to align you rotational axis(you still would want two panels each representing a rotational axis). this could also work with a triangle were in order to align your axis you have to eliminate any angularity so that your left with a simple line. 

1 hour ago, asap1 said:

cameras utilized as place-able control and view points could be great

for example a camera on a docking port allowing  you to dock more easily

also on the subject of docking I think something along the lines(literally) of a new rotational indicator is called for. this is what I mean:

this would be a very simple easy to use tool that would automatically engage once you get within 15 metres of your targeted docking port

it would consist of two displays showing two lines each. one display xrot and yrot (rot=rotation) the line on the left part of either display would represent the docking port your controlling from and it's rotational alignment relative to the docking port your targeting. same deal with the other display. in order to use it you use your rcs to line up each of the lines(pun intended) once you do this you will be aligned along whichever axis corresponding to the left or right(left panel xrot right panel yrot) panel  that you chose to align first. once you have the your xrot or yrot aligned you simply repeat the process for the other side then translate linearly to the selected port(note this does not include rotational alignment along the longest axis of your ship although it certainly could). this concept could also work with a single curved line each end of which represents a port and your have to straighten said line to align you rotational axis(you still would want two panels each representing a rotational axis). this could also work with a triangle were in order to align your axis you have to eliminate any angularity so that your left with a simple line. 

I mean cameras that transmit their images back to the RnD for research. not docking port cameras whose images cannot be viewed again after having been taken.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 10:57 AM, The Aziz said:

There are other dividends to be had: Public Relations. Stimulating public interest in the space program. Every space probe should be carrying cameras. Microphones  are cool too; for planetary bodies that have atmospheres. Totally worthless as far as actual science returns go but people eat that stuff up.

IVA improvements, (like raster-prop-manager) to include external camera's is on my wish list. I give it a low chance of becoming a reality though, as it can be a mod, and doesn't add anything to the game outside of IVA mode. Unless of course there is a game mode where you can only fly from IVA mode, then it would be incredible cool.