KSP1 Features That Might Not Make KSP2

I've been meaning to start this topic for a long time, and I thought I had seen one recently. But can't seem to find it.

The point is, there are features I really like in KSP1 that I just don't see making the cut for KSP2. Do you have any? Mine are specifically:

• Settings: sometimes it's fun to just read through the Settings config file and see what all can be tweaked. It's very in-depth in KSP1.
  • Custom suits: including the degree to which we can change their look in the configs, helmets on and off, EVA pack or parachute or both or neither, visor up or down.
    • Emphasis on the visor. Something I felt we should have been able to do since the game's 1.0 release we couldn't do until almost the end of development.
  • Custom flags: seems probable that this will be a feature in KSP2, but I could see it getting overlooked.
  • Surface Experiments: specifically from Breaking Ground. Another feature that felt obvious but made it late to the game. What's more fun than recreating Apollo?
  • Kerbal Inventory/Construction: a piggy-back off of Surface Experiments, sure, but Intercept keeps saying "the game, at its core, is about building and flying rockets." EVA construction is very convenient and fun, but also very extra.

I'll add more as I think of them. I know I'm missing some of the more "fringe" features that I actually quite like but they aren't touted as major features/improvements.

Edited by Ahres

Yeah I'm always a bit concerned when I hear the devs say something like 'the game is about building and flying rockets'. I hope that refers more to micro-management of colonies and resources rather than limiting other activities, such as building boats or hot air balloons (my dream to launch to orbit from a high altitude on Eve).

From your list, I think the most likely feature that will be included in KSP2 will be custom flags, they know that Youtubers etc will want to use this.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, Nirgal said:

Yeah I'm always a bit concerned when I hear the devs say something like 'the game is about building and flying rockets'. I hope that refers more to micro-management of colonies and resources rather than limiting other activities, such as building boats or hot air balloons (my dream to launch to orbit from a high altitude on Eve).

From your list, I think the most likely feature that will be included in KSP2 will be custom flags, they know that Youtubers etc will want to use this.

Your concerns aren't unreasonable, but I think boats are definitely a safe bet - Nate has mentioned there's a dock/boat launch at the new KSC. And good point, for that reason alone I think custom flags will be happening.

I fired up KSP1 for the first time in about a month, which is a long time for me, and thought of a couple more handy little features that could be overlooked.

• Custom icons in the PartList folder - I make my own for custom sub-assembly categories all the time.
  • Mission flags - can designate a certain flag for a specific vessel instead of changing the agency's flag.
  • Flag Decals
  • Vessel Naming Configuration

Guest The Doodling Astronaut

The reason I think they won't be doing things like custom flags or custom suits is because of multiplayer. Hopefully they have a replacement texture for multiplayer for when its a modded texture.

Guest The Doodling Astronaut
4 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

No custom flags!?

That would be very bad....

Most KSP players have never used a custom flag. Not saying there isn't anyone who does, I mean i'm guilty I have a lot of custom flags (thx to Upsilon)

I really hope there are custom flags that would just have to be uploaded to the server if you are playing multiplayer. This has been done as early as 2013 in games like battlefield 4 where custom player icons can be loaded onto your game to give your profile some unique personality, it’s really not that hard to do with flags either, new players would just download the flag used by others upon joining the server.

5 hours ago, Ahres said:

Your concerns aren't unreasonable, but I think boats are definitely a safe bet - Nate has mentioned there's a dock/boat launch at the new KSC. And good point, for that reason alone I think custom flags will be happening.

Saw a boat dock in one of the trailers.

5 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

The reason I think they won't be doing things like custom flags or custom suits is because of multiplayer. Hopefully they have a replacement texture for multiplayer for when its a modded texture.

They almost certainly will. Even if they don’t have custom flags, you could go into the files, change one of the flag textures, and have a custom flag that way. For suits, probably just a replacement texture.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:14 AM, Admiral Fluffy said:

Saw a boat dock in one of the trailers.

I've seen people mention this, and for the life of me I can't find any image / video of this. If you have time, could you screenshot it for me please? 

I'm so curious 

26 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

I've seen people mention this, and for the life of me I can't find any image / video of this. If you have time, could you screenshot it for me please? 

I'm so curious 

The "harbor" area was very briefly visible in the "clouds" show and tell. No buildings were visible at the time.