Mod compatibility: RSS + RO + kerbalism + NF

king of nowhere

real solar system + realism overhaul + near future parts + kerbalism

are those mods compatible with each other?

I'm wondering if i can make my next extended grand tour in real solar system. realism overhaul, making fuel tanks and engines more efficient, would be required to handle the greater deltaV requirements; pity that it nerfs reaction wheels, and since the resulting ship would need to be huge (in the 10 kton range) some near future fuel tanks and rcs would help.

And before trying to actually do this - from what i can see, even just installing all the mods with their prerequisites would be a huge undertaking - i'd like to know if they can work together

Kerbalism - RO compatibility is provided by the https://github.com/KSP-RO/ROKerbalism config pack.
But forget about a manned grand tour.
RO, as the name suggests, changes everything to realistic "current technology" constraints (if you believe the worst issue is nerfed reaction wheels, you're clearly not aware of what RO is), so unless you intent is to massively cheat your way around those, this is silly.
If you really want to make a RSS grand tour using stock-alike rules (aka science-fiction technology) don't install RO, use SMURFF and maybe tweakscale.

But knowing you, you will feel even more motivated just because I said that, so here is the RO/RP1 installation guide : https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Advanced-Install-for-1.10.1

2 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

RO, as the name suggests, changes everything to realistic "current technology" constraints (if you believe the worst issue is nerfed reaction wheels, you're clearly not aware of what RO is), so unless you intent is to massively cheat your way around those, this is silly.

well, i could not see anything more specific in the relevant thread, but as far as i could understand, RO does

- increase engines TWR, which would reduce the need for engine mass

- increase tanks mass ratio, which is necessary to have the increased deltaV to navigate RSS (it's still much harder to navigate than the kerbol system, but with a look at the deltaV map it feels doable if i can expand my deltaV with lighter tanks)

- allow different fuels; kerbalism already assumes the fuel is methalox, which is good enough for most engines. Nuclear engines would use pure hydrogen, and getting that with isru would be much easier than getting methane - although hydrogen tanks may have a worse mass ratio.

- Cryogenics fuels may have boiloff, but if I can use nuclear power plants to keep them cool, then i'm fine. [if I can't keep my cryogenics refrigerated with power and the boiloff rate is too great, then i cuncur, it probably can't be done]

- introduce ullage gas. I found no details on what this actually entails in the game, but as long as those ullage gases are normal resources that I can procure with ISRU, i should be fine [if I can't replenish ullage gases, then i probably can't do it]

- engines have limited ignition. Which is... not at all different from what kerbalism already does. as long as I can service them with an engineer, it's fine [if RO forbids me from servicing engines, then again, it's impossible]

- change solar panels, which won't affect me as I'll be using nuclear plants from near future

- nerf reaction wheels, which will force me to use rcs at least for landing

- make crew modules heavier, which on my usual kiloton ships will barely register

Am I forgetting something?

So yes, RO does add a lot of problems, but most of them can be overcome with instruments given by the game. If some of them cannot be overcome, then you're right, and I won't be able to do it. But I want to at least explore the possibility.

As for what is realistic with "current technology", I always say that we could achieve a lot more if we had unlimited funding and industrial capacity to send thousands of tons of material in orbit at once and brute-force our way around most current limitations of space exploration. Oh, and astronauts that never get old or sick, too.

Edited by king of nowhere

RO redefine the whole EC balance around realistic values. I think it has some support for NF Electrics, but you will likely find that the reactors are quite heavily nerfed compared to what you are used to in stock.
As for ISRU, I believe this is even harder than in stock Kerbalism.

RO is basically a completely different game. First thing to do is to basically forget all I think you know about KSP.
Unless, of course, if you cheat your way around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.