Basic Fluid Displacement

Not sure why I crave this so much, but it would be cool if like you could use MK3 bays as proper boat hulls, as in water didn't clip through.  
I seriously doubt this is something the team is working on though. water isn't a main focus of KSP gameplay. It would be pretty hard to implement too. you either need to have the model running all the time no matter what chunk you're in or you'd need it to load contextually ( like as your vessel approaches the liquid in a similar fashion to how collision code is grabbed right before a collision ).  
My pie in the sky wish is that enclosed spaces are treated in such a way that fluid  dynamically flows into them when opened. like if you open a MK3 bay underwater, water rushes in. similarly, in atmo kerbals could move around an enclosed bay but get blown around when it opens. (both of these would require some better collisions and friction modeling for the kerbals too).  it'd be fun to have these as makeshift pressurized spaces too for hardcore play. 
However, if this is sonething any of you good folks working on KSP2 want to do, then I'd definitely prefer this as an add-on feature than as something that would extend the timeline, especially considering how complicated it could be. 

Edited by WaywardScythe

This would probably be hard to implement, but i totally agree that this should be done.

perhaps not in the initial release (I DO NOT WANT KSP2 TO BE DELAYED AGAIN) but certainly in a future update.

The reason i want for this to be implemented is kinda obvious, which is the fact that every time that i land a spaceplane on water the hull remains intact but the cargo inside is destroyed.

4 hours ago, WaywardScythe said:

it'd be fun to have these as makeshift pressurized spaces too for hardcore play. 

not sure if a cargo bay would be airtight though...

6 minutes ago, Space Kerbalisation Tech said:

You're probably right that it wouldn't, cause it would definitely add layers of complexity and it makes sense from practical gameplay and real life to have it not be airtight. And actually it would be kinda insane if it were airtight because you could ship chunks of water/air to other planets. Which would do wonderful lovely things to the CPU load. 
Gosh could you imagine dropping water or air as lag bombs on players in multiplayer?   

2 hours ago, Space Kerbalisation Tech said:

It kinda is in ksp1. At least temperature-wise, haven't checked it for pressure, but if you keep a thermo reading on while it's in closed bay, you'll notice that the temperature inside changes very slowly even if you quickly get from space through reentry to the surface. I once landed on Eve and was very surprised by the low temperature reading, until I opened the bay.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:20 PM, Space Kerbalisation Tech said:

This makes me think they may need to take air displacement into account, as well.  If you close an air tight cargo bay on Kerbin, then open it when you get to space, does the air all rush out of it? Do we get explosive decompression? what about if you brought that cargo bay to Eve? Would the tank be buoyant like a balloon now that the air inside is less dense than the air outside? Would that cargo bay have more mass with air inside than a vacuum? These are all questions they'd need to answer when implementing such a feature.

sound pretty cool to deal with performance issues you could only activate the model during action that would impact a status change for example the model will activate if you are within if you are directly above water and within 100 metres of it's surface. as far as as atmospheres go it would be pretty cool to have the ability to create pressurized environments.

also ballast tanks for submarines could be nice.

this would allow me to make a firefighting plane picture the following scenario: a large rocket has just collapsed on the pad it hasn't exploded but it has spread kerosene everywhere and a fire has started. wouldn't it be nice if I could dump a large quantity of water on top of the fire(by this time all the kerosene has burned it's just the launch pad and the nearby forest that's burning as I am well aware that kerosene would float on top of the water) 

On 9/18/2021 at 5:53 PM, asap1 said:

sound pretty cool to deal with performance issues you could only activate the model during action that would impact a status change for example the model will activate if you are within if you are directly above water and within 100 metres of it's surface. as far as as atmospheres go it would be pretty cool to have the ability to create pressurized environments.

also ballast tanks for submarines could be nice.

this would allow me to make a firefighting plane picture the following scenario: a large rocket has just collapsed on the pad it hasn't exploded but it has spread kerosene everywhere and a fire has started. wouldn't it be nice if I could dump a large quantity of water on top of the fire(by this time all the kerosene has burned it's just the launch pad and the nearby forest that's burning as I am well aware that kerosene would float on top of the water) 

Balast tanks is difrent and much easier, have an tank and a pump who pumps the liquid you float in into the tank displacing air and makes you heavier.

This would also be useful for other purposes than submarines like weight balance.