Would someone help me get started with mods? Thanks!

SOXBLOX

This is a part of the forum I never visit, so I guess I'm basically new here. The reason I'm here is because, up until now, I've been a strictly vanilla player. However, I think I might want to change that soon, but I don't know where to start.

I'm really looking for added realism in the game. ReStock and Realism Overhaul both look nice. I want something complex, but not enormously so. TheBeardyPenguin's and N9 Gaming's For All Kerbalkind series is on the high end of the complexity spectrum I'm going for. I only have so many hours to spend on videogames...

Can anyone please introduce me to the world of KSP mods, and maybe recommend something that might fit my tastes?

Depends. 

Simplex Resources might be a small step in complexity.  #shamelessplug oniy if you are used to ISRU and just want it ti be a little mkre involved.

Kerbalism does tend to be on the more compex side of things.  Snacks is a good place to start.  But once you get kerbalism i found there was no going back.  There is a simpex version of kerbalism too.

Edited by theJesuit

Thanks! I think Simplex Resources is exactly what I'm looking for in that department. Snacks looks cool, too.

Is there any mod that makes the tech tree more realistic without requiring RSS? Some better contracts would also be nice...

Nertea's Mods:

• Near Future Technologies (multiple Parts)
  • System Heat & Heat Control
  • Far Future Technologies
  • Kerbal Atomics
  • Cryo Engines.
  • Station Parts Expansion Redux
  • Waterfall (plus Configs e.g. stock waterfall effects)

Visual Mods

• Environmental visual enhancements (plus config e.g. via spectra)
  • Spectra

Bugfixes against Driftbug since 1.12

• Community Fix ... (named somthing like this)... the thing from gotmachine.

6 hours ago, SOXBLOX said:

Thanks! I think Simplex Resources is exactly what I'm looking for in that department. Snacks looks cool, too.

Is there any mod that makes the tech tree more realistic without requiring RSS? Some better contracts would also be nice...

See my signature for my favourite tech trees.  Usually any tech trees has some advantages and disadvantages. 

3 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

See my signature for my favourite tech trees.  Usually any tech trees has some advantages and disadvantages. 

I should have checked those out first. :lol: Thank you all; I'll go look at all of these and get a modlist together.

try nerta, benjee and angel125's mod packs

these are relativly simple, highly detailed and textured mods.

BTW RO/RSS is really realistic and pretty fun to play with, but it makes everything much more complex and harder so unless you have a lot of time and paitiance (around 15 mins of loading time, quite a few bugs, lower fps and frequent ragequitting is what it's like to start in RO/RSS when you're used to start, at least it is what happened when i started it), i suggest you try something simpler

1 hour ago, Space Kerbalisation Tech said:

try nerta, benjee and angel125's mod packs

these are relativly simple, highly detailed and textured mods.

BTW RO/RSS is really realistic and pretty fun to play with, but it makes everything much more complex and harder so unless you have a lot of time and paitiance (around 15 mins of loading time, quite a few bugs, lower fps and frequent ragequitting is what it's like to start in RO/RSS when you're used to start, at least it is what happened when i started it), i suggest you try something simpler

Thanks! I downloaded ReStock just last night, and I've loved it so far. I'm officially no longer a stock player, and I'm never going back! :lol:

I've heard that about RO multiple times now, so I think I'll hold off on RO/RP-1 until I can be sure I want to deal with them...

I'd say start small: Kerbal Engineer Redux and other quality of life mods, but definitely install CKAN, it helps SO much. For realism mods, Realism Overhaul, Real Solar System, and RP-1 are very complex but very realistic (it is rocket science after all). But my favorites for life support styled realism include Roverdude's suite of mods (USI Life Support, USI Modular Colonization Systems, etc.) as well as Nertea's Station Parts Expansion Redux.

For realistic parts in terms of just added new things in to mix up the game, anything by any of the major names in modding is generally good (Nertea, Roverdude, etc.).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.