Light in interstellar space

The Aziz

It just struck me. While we're in Kerbol system (or any system with a star behind our backs) our ships are always in the sunlight, with the exception when they're on the night side of a celestial body. So we can see them.

Now as we're going to leave the solar system, the light from the star would slowly fade away, until the ship is in complete darkness. There's no ambient light in space, the few photons from stars far far away won't do much.

I know that we're probably not going to do too much with the ship while it's travelling to another star, but if we do there are only two options. Mount a ton of illuminators on the hull, or operate in the dark.

This is a very good point.   But I think this is one of those things that is perfectly acceptable to sacrifice some realism for gameplay.   Perhaps an option to enable realistic lighting, or have a minimum illumination setting. 

Stars other than the Sun still provide a good amount of light. I don't know if you've ever been in the middle of absolute nowhere, with zero light pollution, on a clear moonless night. It's dark, but it's not pitch black. Once your eyes adjust properly, you can see environment around you and even pick up hints of color. Everything is very muted, and shapes do blend together, but they're there.

Looking at the stuff we got to see in previews, I'm pretty sure KSP2 is being rendered with HDR in mind. That means you can adjust exposure, simulating eye adjustment to light levels, and even filter colors based on light intensity, giving everything that muted look. I don't know if that's how Intercept will chose to handle it, but it's certainly an option, and would make the game quite playable far from the Sun.

That said, it will certainly be a good incentive to place some additional lights around your interstellar ships to illuminate anything you might need to interact with during the voyage.