Developer Insights #11 – Engine Exhaust Visual Effects

Intercept Games

• KSP Team

Hey! I’m Jon Cioletti, the technical artist on KSP2. As a tech artist, it is my job to help merge the work done by artists into the more technical side of the project, to assist artists by making tools, and to write shaders for our game assets.

The most satisfying challenge of my work is that everything we make is driven by scientific accuracy. Whether it’s the lighting or the VFX, we want to be able to point at something happening in game and have a real reason behind why it appears the way it does. One of the best features to showcase this is with our engine exhaust visual effects.

Now buckle up, because the rest of this blog will now be me trying to summarize the lengthy creative process for engine VFX into like a 7 min read. Wish me luck.

Setting our goals

Step one for any concept investigation work starts with looking at cool images for reference and trying to decide what you want out of a feature. Many conversations occur at the design / art level well before it even gets to me in the pipeline. It’s in this time that people like Nate Simpson, Aaron Lundquist, and Dr. Michael Dodd discuss what our goals are for the effect and what scientific requirements it has.

For example, a major driving factor in the exhaust for us is pressure regimes. Pressure regimes roughly fall into three categories: sea level, transitional, and vacuum. We can create mockups for each of these states, then blend between them to create a more realistic depiction of exhaust. From this we can break down other aspects of the exhaust (color, shock diamond, heat distortion) and track them throughout the change in pressure. As seen in Nate’s diagram below, we already have the shape language of our effect planned out early in the process.

pressure_regimes

The first in-engine preview

Once the initial conceptual investigation is complete, we move down the pipeline to the art and VFX investigation of the effect. It’s here that we take the concepts and visual reference and start reproducing it in engine.

Below is work by Aaron Lundquist to create some initial looks at exhaust using scrolling textures, alpha masking, some vertex displacement and a nice dash of bloom to get that great glow.

exhaust
Here we can see how the combination of textures can create a stunning effect
image.gif
And here it is in motion

Taking a look at the Tech!

Most of our tech for the engine exhaust is driven by that engine’s throttle and the air pressure at a given location in the universe. As we increase our throttle the exhaust

elongates, shows signs of speeding up and glows brighter with the increase of heat. The location in the universe is responsible for our transitions through pressure regimes. As an engine moves through different spaces, the exhaust will distort and tint to differ colors. To pass this data we need a component on the engine object in game. This component will collect the proper exhaust data values and send it off to our meshes, and materials.

Script based mesh scaling

One part the Throttle Manager handles is the scaling of the exhaust’s shock diamonds. As the engine’s throttle increases, we scale the mesh for the diamonds larger and longer in accordance with the reference footage and diagrams we collected during our research phase.

image.gif
Scaling of shock diamonds

BlendShapes

The Throttle Manager also controls the blending of our BlendShapes. To maintain our shape language established in the concept phases, we chose to work with BlendShapes, a technique used frequently in games for interpolating meshes. Below showcases some of that work in action thanks to renowned Kerbothropologist Paul Zimmer.

Blend Shapes
BlendShape models for blending
image.gif
BlendShapes blending based on throttle and pressure

Materials and Shaders

The last thing our Throttle Manager passes data to is our effect’s material and shader. It’s here that we start modifying the actual look of the mesh itself so that it resembles something like the chemical reaction we see when an engine fires off. It’s also at this phase that we finally reach the place in the pipeline where I do my work on the effect.

“But Jon, what’s a shader?”

I’m glad you asked!

To boil it down to the bare essentials, a shader is a program that runs on the GPU that basically answers the question: “What color is this pixel when it is rendered to the screen?”. Like I mentioned above, it’s how we give things like the BlendShape and shock diamond meshes their exhaust look.

Every 3D model that we want to see in game needs a Material. Each material contains both the shader and the values we pass to it to modify it’s look. By passing in different values to our shader, we can create a wide range of exhaust materials for our different exhaust types. It’s pretty powerful stuff.

On the inside a shader can also be broken down into a few major parts. On the top we have its properties. “What values from the shader do we want to expose to the artist or code to modify?”. Colors, textures, numbers, and vectors are all valid inputs. Next is the vertex function. This is the first pass the geometry faces and is responsible for the altering of the 3D model’s vertices. While the BlendShapes modify the general structure, the vertex function lets us add things like a rumbling offset. Once through, the mesh’s triangle data then heads to the fragment function to receive their final colors. It’s here where our lighting and final surface look is calculated.

image.gif
Example of modifying the Material’s color to get a different exhaust look

All together now

Okay, now for the big diagram. Below shows the data flow mentioned at the start of this section. Here is the basic flow:

1. The engine part’s Throttle Manager collects the data it needs from the game and uses it to calculate the exhaust data that needs to be passed along to the 3D mesh and material

2. The exhaust data scales or blends the shock diamonds and BlendShapes

3. The exhaust data is passed to the shader’s properties

1. Once in the shader it runs through the vertex function. The data modifies our exhaust’s shape to simulate turbulence and bends under acceleration

2. Next passing through the fragment shader, it receives its color gradient tinting, a scrolling noise to break up the gradient, an erosion alpha mask at the tail end, fresnels to soften up the edges and exit traces

4. Once through this process, the render pipeline renders the final effect to screen. And that’s just a single frame!

throttle exhaust diagram

Getting the tech into the artist’s hands

Hey you made it this far! Your reward is the same as ours after this process, some sweet engine exhaust effects. With all these tools in place we can let Aaron loose on creating some amazing exhaust effects. This only covers the exhaust itself, there are still additional lighting and particle effects that need to be added. Enjoy!

View the Dev Diaries

Nice! Good to see the team is doing their homework on exhaust plumes and implementing it beautifully. I can't wait to watch nuclear plumes peel away from my spacecraft at a hundred thousand meters per second.

Edited by Wubslin

The video I saw on twitter looks like the thrust plume also works as a local light source, at least against the engine. However, it seemed to my eye that the lighting was very harsh and overblown. It was also emitting light through the thrusterbell, which means self-occluding shadows were not enabled, which is understandable from a debugging point.

I am curious though: will things like the shock diamonds have HDRI lighting? Or is that beyond the scope of KSP2v1.0/a question for the modders?

(Also, practicality doth protest to using rocket engines as area lamps around your colony.)

Edited by starcaptain

@Nertea is in fact now part of our team (yay!), but since we love doing things backwards, he joined JUST as Jon, Aaron, and Paul were putting the finishing touches on this system. I suspect there will be an ongoing conversation about tuning, as there always is. But we're all very happy with this system in its current form. :)

41 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

@Nertea is in fact now part of our team (yay!), but since we love doing things backwards, he joined JUST as Jon, Aaron, and Paul were putting the finishing touches on this system. I suspect there will be an ongoing conversation about tuning, as there always is. But we're all very happy with this system in its current form. :)

I have to ask. We're all very fond of waterfall, and I'm sure Chris' joining on has come with a lot of new insight for you guys for how his mod worked - at least from a "getting inside the head of the mod's creator" perspective if not any new technical gleanings. As they say, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat. In terms of technically making the code work, what would you say are the biggest differences in implementing plumes between his solution and your new one? Any particular advantages and disadvantages from each that jump out at you?

The thing I love about this the most is the instant visual feedback it gives to the player regarding atmospheric pressure, as it gives players an intuitive feel as to when they should switch to vacuum engines, or if they perhaps needs to make their booster stage last a little longer.
On planets like Eve they will immediately see the effects of high atmospheric pressure as well in their lander, and perhaps appreciate more why their engines (probably) don't work worth a damn, lol.

Edited by MechBFP

6 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yep! And he's great. But don't tell him I said that.

eye of sauron. jpg

48 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

@Nertea How does this compare to the implementation in Waterfall?

This is a fundamentally technically different and better-performing approach.

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

That is so awesome! This makes my hear pump cartoon style for KSP 2!!! \o/

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

Absolute legends!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.