Space Station Liberty: A Kerbalised Version Of Space Station Freedom From The 1980s

Jacktical

An introduction

In the 1980s, NASA proposed a concept for a permanently crewed Earth orbiting space station, dubbed Space Station Freedom. Freedom would be the US counterpart to the Russian Mir. But as time went on, and support for the idea dwindled, space station freedom was canned. Luckily, this concept would eventually evolve into the International Space Station that we have today, which you can find here documented in @Kuiper_Belt and @lemon cup's wonderful thread ISS Adventures!

I decided to create this thread, to document the construction of my own version of the power tower concept.

So where to begin

As this is my first post and because I haven't made KSP images properly for people to see before, I am going to be starting of with some shuttle images I've created over the past few days. If you have any suggestions about where you would like to se me take this thread and how to improve it, don't hesitate to tell me!

Thanks

I'd like to give a huge thanks to @lemon cup for giving me advice on starting this thread, he is a HUGE inspiration to me and if you haven't seen his images, they're simply stunning. I would also like to credit some other creators who have greatly inspired me, so I highly recommend you check out their threads too!

@Jay The Amazing Toaster with the awesome Kānāwai: Ares to Mars!

@AmateurAstronaut1969 with  the fantastic ETS Space Station Freedom!

@Kuiper_Belt with the amazing Shuttle Adventures!

Enjoy!

iUHCv6Z.png

The maiden launch of Space Shuttle Adventure on STS-10

Edited by Jacktical
Plans changed

STS-10 June 22, 1984

rjMyLga.png

Space Shuttle Adventure launches from pad 39A on its maiden voyage, the shuttle carries some various exposed experiments and tests the still-in-development "BEATLES" (Big and Expensive test Article for Transportation of Large Experiments and Supplies) which will be a set of four large logistics modules to supply the upcoming Space Station Liberty with all it needs

bC92tld.png

1zvqGPl.png

k03RLhL.png

Space Shuttle Adventure burns its OMS engines to place it in a stable orbit where the crew will carry out research for the next 12 days.

aAHbQ5N.png

rl8C1Ew.png

Am8tdHR.png

J88MHzD.png

Space Shuttle Adventure performs a deorbit burn above the pacific ocean

2VkaEtT.png

cife47J.png

jwdl3Cj.png

olMQeWI.png

And with another happy landing, STS-10 is brought to a close

583anxP.png

I hope you liked my first post. If you have any tips make sure to tell me. The next post should be up in a few days :) 

Edited by Jacktical

STS-16 October 11, 1985: The beginning of Space Station Liberty

Union is the first module of space station liberty, most of the core modules of the station are to be built by Boeing, with some modules being built by ESA and NASDA. CSA are to provide a special manipulator arm, named Canadarm2 to perform task around the outside of the station without the need for EVAs. Finally, the UK Space Agency will provide "BEATLES" (Big and Expensive transport Apparatus for Transportation of Large Experiments and Supplies)

n1UeWLu.png

Union serves as the main hub of the station, carrying six berthing ports for docking of other modules. Union will launch with two Pressurized Mating Adapters which are installed to the fore and aft nodes for launch. STS-16 will launch with another module, Harrison; a power and logistics module designed to hold supplies for later expeditions and to power the young station while it does not have its main solar arrays

khxzSS4.png

GajfOG7.png 

The white room crew check Jedediah's life support and suit before helping him into the orbiter

bAom7jp.png 

The seven crew members lift off at 11:31pm from the Kennedy Space Center 

ekh8o9a.png

OTwlmBO.png

"Space Shuttle Independence you are go for throttle up"

jibl2Jf.png

Valentina looks out of her window, seeing the southern tip of Florida, getter further and further away...

CbLRDRY.png

The space station is put on a 28.6 degrees inclination as this is the easiest for the shuttle to reach from Kennedy Space Center

FeK4oeE.png

"SRB Separation confirmed"

The OMS engines are ignited briefly to put Independence into a stable orbit.

YwJ9b1T.png

Sorry for not being able to document the in orbit activities, I am quite ill at the moment so when I get better I will be releasing part 2 of the Union launch. Hope you enjoyed :) 

10 minutes ago, Jacktical said:

Sorry for not being able to document the in orbit activities, I am quite ill at the moment so when I get better I will be releasing part 2 of the Union launch. Hope you enjoyed :) 

Definitely enjoyed it, nice to see new mission logs like this pop up. Get well soon :D

STS-16 Part II

u6YdnTl.pngSV8uUrS.png

In orbit, the canadarm grabs onto one of the power/data grapple fixtures attached to the fore PMA and attaches Union to the Shuttle docking assembly.

c05lm0I.png

J27v9Kk.png

Data and power connections are tested and soon the Harrison module will be attached to the overhead berthing port of Union.

pjpby0c.png

The module has to be spun around as it was placed backward in the payload bay because of the solar arrays

vBLJDHH.png

Slowly the arrays are unfolded.

MY8EdHS.png

wGHXA23.png

The crew briefly enter the station to activate systems and to prep it for the next crew.

vF5T9Sf.png

Kor1eIx.png

The crew depart the station at 3:36 AM UTC

YtSixJV.png

TqVJMnn.png

m1d6dBP.png

GER68CJ.png

Space Shuttle Independence lands at the Kennedy Space Center at 03:12am on the 19th of October

ajNP7vw.png

A new era has begun. And it's only going to get better from here...

Hey there everyone, I am currently making the next post and have gathered around 24 images so far, and this has only documented a few of the in orbit activities of this mission. So I would like to know, starting from this post and going on in the future, would you prefer:

1. Larger and longer posts which will most likely come out once a week.

Or

2. Shorter posts that would come out a couple times a week (i.e.. how there was a part two of sts-16)

There will be a poll so I would appreciate it if you could vote for me :) 

STS-22 13February, 1986: Expedition 1 (Fortune and Canadrone)

Fortune is the second module of space station liberty, a large lab module to carry out experiments only possible in space. The canadrone is Canada's addition to the station; it is a small spacecraft in its own right, capable of moving modules without the limits of an arm. An two-kerballed EVA would also be performed on this flight to make data and support system connections between the modules. The flight would be performed by space shuttle endurance, the second orbiter built.

c2YeVps.png

eNqWYgE.png

eWSxFb4.png

The ROFI's ignite any unburnt hydrogen, and the SSME's each roar to life, to send the crew to their home for the next 3 and a half months.

hx6fsMP.png

h1MA6va.png

lO6UE0i.png

y13q0hq.png

EION5GZ.png

LsfoSK2.png

97oe9vy.png

BVhpn54.png

aY6TNZC.png

jpF0JSf.png

"Houston, we have confirmed external tank separation."

kRt1uq0.png

9XTB5GL.png

GDGszaZ.png

6jHrgL8.png

The shuttle orbits alone for the next two days, before rendezvousing with the station .

VZjIphQ.png

KRaBPpR.png

faUrSzz.png

Rwy2HaP.png

1dMajEd.png

JSzzCZk.png

"Hard-capture confirmed."

rI3yJN4.png

The canadrone is piloted by Ventsky Kerman and grabs onto to the fore PMA, moving it onto deck-side berthing port to make space for the fortune lab.

CPb08nR.png

NPi6Th7.png

Canadrone is then moved to its starting position, before moving in to grab onto the fortune lab.

aBlkYL5.png

bi2BnGH.png

lHouuQc.png

4Uz8Uc6.png

Bill and Ventsky perform a flawless three-hour EVA making data, life support and , before returning to the shuttle, to enter the station for the first extended stay.

CsIYxx0.png

dJApxzK.png

The station is now able to perform its duties, the first American orbital lab since Skylab in 1974, 12 years ago.

tOQWGWS.png

I think these are my best images yet and I hope you think so to. This is also what the longer format will look if that is the option chosen. I hope you have enjoyed! :) 

Expedition 1 Departure: RMC-1 (Remote Configuration 1)

onLBRo8.png

3 and a half months after arriving at Liberty, Endurance departs from the station and deorbits itself over the middle of the pacific ocean.

DHeN4Bo.png

The crew bring home some waste from the station to be disposed of back on Earth, or studied... Those scientists can be real thorough sometimes.

avSBVCs.png

SkMcqMn.png

The reentry speed is a coooool 16000km/h. 

dBDpwjV.png

And gets down to about 2000km/h in only 20 minutes.

5wpdelN.png

5TI4vq1.png

Jebediah: "Look at that Bill, right where we started"

Bill: "3 and a half months never felt so quick!"

Jebediah: "Went almost as quick as the time I-"

Valentina: "Jeb. Would you mind focusing on the HAC so we don't end up in the roof of the VAB? Thanks a lot"

Jebediah: "Sure think Val, just a few barrel rolls first."

Valentina: "Jeb..."

Jebediah: "What? You never think I've flown one of these things before? I practically AM the shuttle."

Valentina: "Whatever you say Jeb."

hH4ruN6.png

XDiFobZ.png

Jebediah: "Another happy landing, ay Val?"

Val: "Best yet Jeb."

Jebediah: "Just what I was thinking! and thank you for flying 'Jeb airlines' where we'll get you round the world in 90 minutes or under!"

1BlzQJX.png

Meanwhile, in SPACE...

kUEeN8i.png

The canadrone is being powered up so it can configure the station for expedition 2.

Zxw7Jgm.png

Canadrone slowly moves away from the fortune lab it was previously docked to.

9cJ0s0t.png

NYCE06i.png

v7KciKl.png

AY0B2Fe.png

It is docked onto the Harrison logistics module, where it will be moved to the fortune forward port to make space for the Z1 truss. 

slx4Wyi.png

5PhqF2U.png

QCsOvAS.png

7G1lyK0.png

It is then docked to the Deck-Side PMA to be rotated 180 degrees, to allowed to Canadrone the grab the Z1 truss out of the payload bay on a later mission.

TENGZFz.png

WPptPfz.png

L3Gi0zd.png

Liberty over North India

HK4ceAW.png

4SjcN6n.png

Next up Expedition 2! 

BMBwueb.png

Hope you have enjoyed.

Edited by Jacktical

7 hours ago, lemon cup said:

These are looking really great! Awesome job so far.

So are you planning on basing your design on the “power tower” concept?

I was going to make my design more akin to the ISS, but If that is something people would like to see I'd be happy to have a go at it.

STS-24 4 July, 1986 :Expedition 2 and Z1 Truss

A space shuttle launch on the fourth of July? Can you get more patriotic?

sPotX16.png

STS-24 was due to launch off on the 3rd but due to bad weather conditions the launch was pushed back to the next day.

7OC8WQ1.png

Space Shuttle Explorer will launch of at 10:24PM, carrying the Z1 Truss and two external storage pods. The Z1 Truss will the be the the temporary mounting point for the main solar arrays, providing more power for the early station than the Harrison module currently can, it will also maintain the ever growing station's orientation with its four large Control Moment Gyroscopes.

YFSy9Af.png

The crew access arm is slowly rotated away from the orbiter.

zMzd0mX.png

YbJu6Jf.png

All that is holding down the shuttle now is some hold down bolts on the SRBs.

DX1Sh1L.png

oi5aoqg.png

The orbiter transfer from ground to internal power at T-60 seconds.

VpqxdRD.png

The three SSME's ignite, shaking the astronauts in their seats.

02yOAKt.png

"All engines are nominal."

gsHTd1q.png

Release!

pX5dT8W.png

4CRvZv3.png

E7KYM43.png

fMsjH7w.png

K9rXRba.png

Jeb: "If only we could see some fireworks."

Val: "Jeb, we're basically riding a massive firework."

Jeb: "You're right, but it's not like I can see it"

Bob: "You can certainly feel it!"

3tKdLJ0.png

o4YVN7U.png

"SRB separation confirmed."

dVlyDNA.png

wN4sKlQ.png

KXusMRu.png

The orbiter rolls onto its belly for the rest of the ascent.

nlmE1Vh.png

0MzflrJ.png

iwcggAH.png

BqQaqd4.png

I8nwixJ.png

"External Tank separation confirmed."

Jeb: "Like butter."

vlL8Lo2.png#

eYokepd.png

BC3gcWc.png

Nrk0goM.png

UAD3e52.png

MheiwCf.png

POIn2BT.png

EIo6oPL.png

X0EqMHC.png

VUSMizN.png

Explorer begins its 2 phasing orbits to get to Liberty in a little under a day and a half.

m1iC4AJ.png

oPZIJXQ.png

MJoTV85.png

AeiGdaj.png

aX50JPi.png

VTA7mfh.png

w9ocRpT.png

Val: "Welcome home ladies and gentleman."

Bill: "Hopefully not permanent..."

sh91kOl.png

oCFSPGZ.png

kMQ8Fyc.png

5AKetuW.png

Y0soOHe.png

DwhIhiH.png

And we're docked!

exCw5By.png

pkzHZ63.png

1MzNYbY.png

View from a little camera on the edge of the payload bay.

sw1sSAI.png#T

The external storage pods and a decal Jeb insisted be put on all the shuttles after reading some book. Travellers manual to the solar system or something idk

WC4UfL6.png

The cable tray of the Z1 is opened to allow the canadrone to extract the module.

ZhdLcBc.png

0wdbTT6.png

oal0kpE.png

UDKI8kI.png

ElbwYWg.png

70gxLX1.png

The antenna is rotated into place. Very slowly.

SrxRjiI.png

yGAnCvZ.png

5uzMdjD.png

Canadrone then moves on to the external storage pods.

TwKI3Jb.png

As you can see, they are installed on the outside of the fortune lab. Outside, external: get it?

EWsZ0kD.png

A 5 hour EVA is performed by Jebrin Kerman (NASA). Natavey Kerman (ISA) and Gillie Kerman (ESA). This is the first time a multi person space walk has been conducted by a crew composed of three different nationalities. Natavey is also the first Iranian astronaut,

zX8US3M.png

The crew make further data and power links between the Z1 truss and other modules.

UEcMF1i.png

The astronauts make their way back to the shuttle's airlock.

YUQDPF3.png

Natavey holds onto the side of the payload bay.

bnpNtKn.png

Jedrin poses at the back of the payload bay for a quick selfie.

VGQyE7C.png

The EVA members now make their way into Liberty to join the rest of the crew.

YGLsl08.png

1srfXyJ.png

This will be their home for the next 2 months.

5LNn7By.png

I hope you have enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Expedition 2 Departure: 5 September 1986

bBfwoKC.png

After a two month stay, Space Shuttle Explorer is ready to return home.

acg3PeK.png

The crew coast for around 20 minutes before preparing for re-entry.

1bc7Q77.png

The flip around manoeuvre begins.

EuGQ3vm.png

rR4M5TT.png

DW0Ym4a.png

3CkKYhN.png

9KiQVSV.png

The Shuttle Landing Facility is now in sight.

wqUjp7S.png

Hvl0AHq.png

mjkKaAK.png

6u7fnvT.png

"Touchdown."

8u9DqSN.png

The crew arrive home at 00:27AM.

xhagODz.png

I'm sorry its been so long since the last post. I've been busy messing around with something Red. I'm contemplating making another thread about it...

I hope you enjoyed.

sWVJuB3.png

Expedition 3 Coming Soon!

12 hours ago, crberus said:

As always, eager to see further expansion to the station. Is it Mir-2 "something red"? Just blink if yes (but what of design iterations it could be...) 

Not quite... :) 

Something a lot bigger and a lot further away (That's all I'm going to say!)

STS-26 17 September 1986: Expedition 3 and SAW

BOOiEVt.png

Space Shuttle Endurance sits on pad 39A during the early hours of September 17th, only 12 days after Expedition 2 arrived back at Kennedy Space Center 

fkKlI8v.png

The sun has just come up. The wind speed is low the temperatures are currently quite mild. Hopefully it will warm up in the next few hours.

ha3lcmf.png

Technicians are finishing up final preps in the crew compartment and in the white room for the crew's arrival.

nHWYxny.png

Expedition 3 will carry the first set of solar array wings (SAW) to the station to be temporarily installed on the Z1 Truss. Just one of these large solar arrays is capable of producing nearly 31 Kilowatts of power to Liberty.

OnvwTwZ.png

d1Vwewf.png

"We have lift-off!"

KCpIYNB.png

iERLugK.png

LHmo8Wu.png                        EL2KMP3.jpg

(I think this one above is so cool, you cannot tell me it doesn't look just like this real launch of endeavour!)

7OSuZ91.png

mLfV3hE.png

zA4lgbh.png

AtbNhm5.png

0NAUb8k.png

LrQ6Qhs.png

QuwBhjB.png

T8pRLxM.png

RrK7pUf.png

4IUWY2Y.png

XC3mZh2.png

OA8vtSk.png

7KDcv8f.png

9BHjpFS.png

kDjzYZx.png

The crew rendezvous with Liberty on the 19th.

yQvnVmZ.png

Final approach is made to PMA-2.

su3VUmp.png

Y8tWqd8.png

Docking is confirmed at 1:33PM EST.

foqNMRG.png

Canadrone grabs onto the SAW's grapple fixture.

mcxgcP3.png

It was berthed to the Z1 truss a little over 25 minutes later.

MvYXaxH.png

An EVA is performed to make sure deployment of the wings goes as planned. The external storage pods were also used on this EVA to grab a screwdriver to tighten a loose screw on the Z1 antenna mount.

JotLn3E.png

All went smoothly and the EVA members returned to the Shuttle before the crew-of-five entered the station for the next few months.

nYnUlAn.png

3amrDvG.png

De8asOV.png

edn7nEV.png

abSGid0.png

SCaXNkv.png

I hope you have enjoyed.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

@Jacktical
At least the groundskeeper at KSC has been keeping the grass nicely trimmed in your absence :wink:

I was recently thinking about asking if you had anything else lined up for this! Still going forward with the Power Tower concept?

Definitely! Tried out the power tower and it's going to be a complex challenge to overcome, but I'll give it my best go. Thanks for your interest in this, your a really big inspiration :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.