EVA Repairs

Angelo Kerman

6 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Am I misunderstanding something?  I have performed several engine runs on the craft I am integrating, and have boosted the LFO engines up to 90% (which I believe is max for my current tech level).  However, the SRB does not seem to go above 83%.  This means that one of the 3 SRB will fail every time I run them up, but I never get any more reliability on them.

You get more science and reliability improvements when parts fail than when they succeed. So, if the SRBs ignite successfully, you won't see much in the way of improvements.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, SkyFall2489 said:

Idea: When parts fail, they have a small chance of exploding.

Well, the SRBs do that already by default with this mod :D .

Note: 50% standard reliability is really low. It took the first SRB about 5 launches to get more than a meter off the ground without exploding.

@Angel-125 Idea: Would it be possible to add an option to pay the engineers to upgrade the reliability a bit (instead of launching and exploding and learning the hard way) ?

Edit: @Angel-125 I wondered, since it says "starting MTBF", does this starting value increase with later generations or higher tech-levels, too (like the reliability does)?

Edited by FasterThanFlourite

2 hours ago, FasterThanFlourite said:

Well, the SRBs do that already by default with this mod :D .

Note: 50% standard reliability is really low. It took the first SRB about 5 launches to get more than a meter off the ground without exploding.

@Angel-125 Idea: Would it be possible to add an option to pay the engineers to upgrade the reliability a bit (instead of launching and exploding and learning the hard way) ?

Edit: @Angel-125 I wondered, since it says "starting MTBF", does this starting value increase with later generations or higher tech-levels, too (like the reliability does)?

EVA Repairs is designed to be much simpler than BARIS, with only a few bells and whistles. If you want to upgrade reliability, you can do that through the game difficulties menu:

UaefDxI.png

RJbjJf7.png

MTBF does improve with future generations.

As for launching, exploding and re-launching idea.  You can limit the thrust of the SRB and LFO engines to near zero, so the craft does not go anywhere.  You then launch it, run the engines and other parts safe on the ground, then recover the craft.   This way you can recover an intact craft, sans engine detonation on failure etc.  and not waste so much cash on failed launches.   

However, I am still unable to get my SRB over 83% when the rest of my parts are up to 90%.  And yes, one of the 3 or 4 I have on this particular craft always detonates on launch, yet the reliability score does not go up.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

• 4 weeks later...

How does this play with Bureaucracy? I like your mods, how they feel and look, the level of support and information you give...

But I'm debating between this and Oh Scrap! + Scrapyard, mostly because they were originally developed by severedsolo and so was Bureaucracy.

Then again, I'm playing with almost your entire suite of Mods...

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, FirroSeranel said:

How does this play with Bureaucracy? I like your mods, how they feel and look, the level of support and information you give...

But I'm debating between this and Oh Scrap! + Scrapyard, mostly because they were originally developed by severedsolo and so was Bureaucracy.

Then again, I'm playing with almost your entire suite of Mods...

TBH I've never tried Bureaucracy, so I don't know how they'd interact.

EVA Repairs 1.3.4 is now available:

- Fixed NRE that occurs upon app startup
- Fixed issue where debug buttons didn't notice when players updated the EVA Repairs difficulty settings.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to like this mod but it's like... there's no happy medium here.  I want the chance of a part failure on launch.  I don't want 3 SRBs to fail on each and every launch until I do a half dozen launches and then maybe one or two will work as they're supposed to.  I get that the point of installing a mod that introduces part failure is that parts will fail, but I'm struggling to find settings that introduce 'fun' part failure because it seems like it's either everything fails all the time until I run out of money, or I turn all chances of part failure on activation off and then I guess in a few kerbal months i'll see solar panels on satellites fail or something.

If there's some way to configure this mod that gives the opportunity for a failure on activation every once in a while without making me feel like Bill Murray in Groundhogs Day recovering the same rocket and launching it over, and over, and over and over again just to do a suborbital hop, I'm all ears.

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 12:33 PM, FasterThanFlourite said:

That's good to hear, just what I hoped for :).

@Angel-125, it seems the -1 MTBF bug is still persistent. Did you ever find out what causes it?

Captureksp1.png

May I kindly ask whether you know what causes the -1.0hrs MTBF bug in the VAB? @Angel-125

Another thing: Would it be possible to have the option for the failure of solar panels added to the next release, @Angel-125?

(instead of having to create custom MM patches which I'll mess up)

Edited by FasterThanFlourite

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 12:10 AM, DeliriumTrigger said:

I really want to like this mod but it's like... there's no happy medium here.  I want the chance of a part failure on launch.  I don't want 3 SRBs to fail on each and every launch until I do a half dozen launches and then maybe one or two will work as they're supposed to.  I get that the point of installing a mod that introduces part failure is that parts will fail, but I'm struggling to find settings that introduce 'fun' part failure because it seems like it's either everything fails all the time until I run out of money, or I turn all chances of part failure on activation off and then I guess in a few kerbal months i'll see solar panels on satellites fail or something.

If there's some way to configure this mod that gives the opportunity for a failure on activation every once in a while without making me feel like Bill Murray in Groundhogs Day recovering the same rocket and launching it over, and over, and over and over again just to do a suborbital hop, I'm all ears.

Nevermind, I miss understood the mod features!

Edited by reducing

• 4 months later...

Do you have any interest in bringing the BARIS feature of buying part quality? After playing with this mod for many hours I think its just too difficult to get part quality on multiple different pieces. Buying the part reliability in BARIS removed having to do things over and over, plus added a strategic element of having to commit to certain part decisions. In BARIS I would spend 100s of millions on end games parts and it really made the progression worth while. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea behind this mod and I've been happily using it ever since I learned of its existence, thanks for the hard work in bringing it to life!

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to include a function for preventative maintenance for a module (or does it already exist and I'm just oblivious)? I had a situation just recently where USI life support systems reached 0 MTBF and all failed at once, immediately turning all of my Kerbals to Tourists and rendering my engineer incapable of fixing the problem. I can resolve the issue by temporarily disabling the mod until my kerbals are home again, but it occurred to me that an alternative would be to allow my engineer to repair the hab modules before they actually broke. Either way, I love how this mod changes my approach to building and crewing vessels, especially for long voyages, thanks!

On 11/9/2022 at 5:41 PM, CastleKSide said:

Whats the reasoning behind the shortcut to disable the mod directly on the toolbar? is there a setting to disable it?

If you already have Toolbar Controller installed, you can uncheck the display checkbox there.

This mod seems FANTASTIC! And taking Snacks! by example it really is! Thanks!

I intend to replace another failures mod with Eva Repairs but I have a few questions:

1.What classes should I use to include probe cores, batteries, tanks, antennas and such via MM patches? 

2. Is 600hrs too little MTBF? What starting MTBF should I use if I intend to adopt it to so many items? 

3. Do I also need to use SandCastle? Nevertheless, SHOULD I use it or tweaking the settings can save me even another mod? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have some one of you made experiences combining this mod with following ones:

• Realism Overhaul
  • Real Fuels
  • upscaled planetary systems (RSS, JNSQ and such)

I also want to learn more about affected parts as they are affected due to BaselineConfig.cfg. What are the module names for: "... each part that has a part module based on"
BaseConverter (resource converters/drills)
ModuleGenerator
ModuleEngines

As I observed in VAB chutes are not affected yet, neither are batteries or tanks, or especially heavily moded parts coming from Realism Overhaul suite.

Edited by New Horizons

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/9/2022 at 8:41 PM, CastleKSide said:

Whats the reasoning behind the shortcut to disable the mod directly on the toolbar? is there a setting to disable it?

On 10/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, Angel-125 said:

... And here is EVA Repairs 1.2.2...

- Removed KRASH support since the wrapper was causing NREs.
- Added EVA Repairs app button. This button toggles EVA Repairs on and off. Look for the gear and wrench icon in the KSP App toolbar. It is available in the VAB/SPH and in flight.
- Fixed issue where some difficulty options were appearing even when EVA Repairs was disabled.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello Angelo Kerman! Pardon my English in advance. It's not my native language and I don't speak it very well. Just recently I found out about your mod, I really liked it, but it does not work with the "Advanced Jet Engine" mod, which is my main mod in the game. I ask for your help, since the engine start button does not work with the "Advanced Jet Engine" modification, it disappears after the engine is repaired, which makes it impossible to use it further. The screenshot is attached to the text ;)
    I tried contacting the blowfish modder but couldn't get a response from him (he's been offline for a long time). I will say more, I registered here on the forum to write to you. For me, your help will be very important. Thank you very much! :)

*This issue only applies to engines used in the mod*AIL4fc9FJYLsolq2ApjW1WWzRI4C2OuQzmNkKl4dAIL4fc9HmKFElR3IDZQHhoRKmhvrzFlqTVZe5tjl

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.