Flying Delorean

ColdJ

A config file only mod that creates parts out of FASTCORP Autogarage's Delorean Time machine,Squad's Juno engine and Breaking Ground's Hinge to make a Flying Delorean with transitioning wheels that both drive and hover. Obviously those parts are dependencies for this to work. The Juno type hover engines are optional as the wheel hover jets work well. Due to the way the original wheels were made, you need to turn the first 1 on anticlockwise 90 degrees to be the correct way up to drive, then just clone it for all the others. Prebuilt craft included in the Autogarage folder, just copy it to your save SPH folder. All parts turn up when you type Delorean in the part finder. Allow this to unzip in the Kerbal Space Program folder and allow the Internal config to overwrite the original. This just makes it so they don't wear their helmets when driving. The wheel configs have been upgraded to the 1.12.1 system.
Controls for prebuilt that are included in it's craft file.

description = 1,Toggle Car Jet Engine power.3,Toggle Wheels Jet Engine power.5,Toggle car generator to turn liquid fuel to electricity(generally not needed and is thirsty)7,Toggle wheel steering(requires 2 taps to start, used to lock wheels so they don't alter thrust direction when flying, which stuffs up yaw.)9,Toggle hinge power(turn off hinge power when parked to stop electrical drain)10,Toggle hinges from drive to flight.Custom 2,Control throttle of wheel jets. Need 80+ throttle to take off and about 73 to hover. They take time to adjust so change ahead of time and wait till they catch up.

License: CC-BY-SA-4.0

https://spacedock.info/mod/2860/Flying Delorean?ga=<Game+3102+'Kerbal+Space+Program'>

Spoiler

SU65hHM.pngw3beb88.pnglbUSDWp.pngg5iP6HI.pngT4tUxf0.png

Edited by ColdJ

2 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Looks like it also tries to overwrite several .mu files from FASTCORP Autogarage. Is that intentional? If so, then FYI we won't be able to add this to CKAN.

Sorry my mistake. they are the original model files which I just realised I stupidly left in. I  will just go and downgrade it.

6 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Looks like it also tries to overwrite several .mu files from FASTCORP Autogarage. Is that intentional? If so, then FYI we won't be able to add this to CKAN.

Downgraded now. Much lighter. Sorry, It is 4 am and I should be asleep. Best go get some.

4 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Sorry my mistake. they are the original model files which I just realised I stupidly left in. I  will just go and downgrade it.

What about internal.cfg? Looks like this is still in the new download and would conflict.

Also you should probably make your own folder rather than adding files to FASTCORP Autogarage's Delorean folder. It would be hard for a user to notice the readme.txt file among all of the other mod's files or to understand that they aren't for that mod.

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

What about internal.cfg? Looks like this is still in the new download and would conflict.

Also you should probably make your own folder rather than adding files to FASTCORP Autogarage's Delorean folder. It would be hard for a user to notice the readme.txt file among all of the other mod's files or to understand that they aren't for that mod.

They add new parts in to that folder that use those models and textures. And won't stop the original parts from working. The internal corrects the mistake the original Author made in getting the Kerbals to not wear helmets in the car and won't change anything but that.

This is the original

Spoiler

INTERNAL
{
    allowCrewHelmet = false
    MODEL
    {
        model = Autogarage/Delorean/internal
    }
    name = time_internals
    MODULE
    {
        name = InternalSeat
        seatTransformName = seatL
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = InternalSeat
        seatTransformName = seat
    }
    PROP
    {
        name = TimeSteering
        position = 0.4185788, -0.004428869, -0.150821
        rotation = 0,1,0,0
        scale = 0.8,0.8,0.8
    }
}

This is mine.

Spoiler

INTERNAL
{
    MODEL
    {
        model = Autogarage/Delorean/internal
    }
    name = time_internals
    MODULE
    {
        name = InternalSeat
        seatTransformName = seatL
        allowCrewHelmet = False
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = InternalSeat
        seatTransformName = seat
        allowCrewHelmet = False
    }
    PROP
    {
        name = TimeSteering
        position = 0.4185788, -0.004428869, -0.150821
        rotation = 0,1,0,0
        scale = 0.8,0.8,0.8
    }
}

1 minute ago, ColdJ said:

The internal corrects the mistake the original Author made in getting the Kerbals to not wear helmets in the car and won't change anything but that.

OK, if you need that, then we won't be able to add this to CKAN. It's not about how big the change is or the reason for it, file overwrites aren't allowed at all.

@HebaruSan

My apologies but I was barely still awake last night and had to go before I crashed out.

I don't know how to remove the CKAN option for the mod on Spacedock but as it appears your end controls whether it does or not, then I will just say that I am fine with it not going on CKAN as it is a one time mod and won't be being updated. That is the problem with posting something when you are half asleep. I shouldn't have ticked it in the first place. As the internal corrects the original config to work as was originaly intended I will leave things the way I have them.

Thank you for your time and I shall endeavour to get any future other mods done correctly and posted when I am wide awake.

7 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Once you get everything sorted, I have just one question: when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, what am I going to see? :cool:

If you get creative. Fireworks. ;p

I have had it going airborne at over 400 km per hour.

Something I enjoyed was going out on the grass, putting both lots of thrust on full and then when the wheel thrust is at maximum, hitting the hinge transition and going straight from driving to flying.

@Jack Wolfe @Caerfinon @Lisias

If you get up to 88 miles per hour on the runway it opens up portal and you end up back on a dirt trail.

Also I forgot to put a COM offset on the world friendly version so between bulkheadProfiles and tags, please add the CoMOffset line so you are less likely to flip on a sharp driving turn, as in the example below.

bulkheadProfiles = size2
    CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.0, 0.5
    tags = car delorean sports rover fast

kGXm8hI.png1LYVLVz.png

5 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Also I forgot to put a COM offset on the world friendly version so between bulkheadProfiles and tags, please add the CoMOffset line so you are less likely to flip on a sharp driving turn, as in the example below.

I also found the Control Wheels annoying. When accelerating, the Control Wheels "pushes" the car's nose into the ground, and the rear wheels kinda lose traction - pretty annoying on high speed turnings.

But without the Control Wheels, keeping the car's tires spinning on the right side of the ground is also harder.

If anyone has a fancy controller, I would suggest tying the accelerator to it and avoid using the W/S control keys to avoid triggering the Control Wheel.

9 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Ready for anything...

Your comics work is freakin awesome.

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

I also found the Control Wheels annoying.

I use an analogue controller so my driving wheels acceleration is not tied to my reaction wheels. Reaction wheel amount is required if you are to fly a craft with no control surfaces or RCS.

On 9/21/2021 at 5:34 AM, ColdJ said:

@Jack Wolfe @Caerfinon @Lisias

If you get up to 88 miles per hour on the runway it opens up portal and you end up back on a dirt trail.

bulkheadProfiles = size2
    tags = car delorean sports rover fast

kGXm8hI.png1LYVLVz.png

I was going to ask... pushing those meters per second closer and closer to 39.3395...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.